Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League trying to fight streaming, can the war be won?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There will always be a way around it, so for me they are fighting a losing battle.

My Dreambox stopped working last week, couple of days ago I was watching live footy again.

If the broadcasters are serious, they would be better pricing their product so people didn't see the benefit of attaining it illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

NIMAN wrote: »
    There will always be a way around it, so for me they are fighting a losing battle.

My Dreambox stopped working last week, couple of days ago I was watching live footy again.

If the broadcasters are serious, they would be better pricing their product so people didn't see the benefit of attaining it illegally.

Mind letting me know how you watching live footy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mind letting me know how you watching live footy :P

IPTV I imagine

Yip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Plenty of paid services to use just need to be some what computer literate and have decent broadband.I am currently using a 12mbs connection without any issues so it doesn't even need to be very fast.
    Have watched all the EPL games this week on my TV via Kodi.

I won't mention names here afaik it's against forum rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

BT Sport cancelling the European Football Show proves how out of touch the TV companies are with the viewers and what they want. It was only thing they had (apart from live games) worth watching.

Horrible decision.

http://www.football365.com/news/on-bt-sports-european-football-show-and-a-stupid-decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oat23 wrote: »
    BT Sport cancelling the European Football Show proves how out of touch the TV companies are with the viewers and what they want. It was only thing they had (apart from live games) worth watching.

Horrible decision.

http://www.football365.com/news/on-bt-sports-european-football-show-and-a-stupid-decision

Absolute madness. Should be giving James Richardson & co more time on TV, not less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reading forums in the UK,it seems Sky are offering discounts of 60% for people, they'll see a surge in subscribers now CS is on it's knees.
    I suppose they look at the notion of getting some money is better than getting none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

zerks wrote: »
    Reading forums in the UK,it seems Sky are offering discounts of 60% for people, they'll see a surge in subscribers now CS is on it's knees.
    I suppose they look at the notion of getting some money is better than getting none.

Can't see people flocking to sky now the premier league is finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Horrible decision.

Disgraceful decision.It's a brilliant show.All 4 on it are excellent and it's both entertaining and informative.

Their coverage in general has got worse as they have gone on though.They used to have a studio presentation of most of their European league games in the first couple of years but that has now been got rid of and you just get the match and commentary which is fine but it shows the real lack of effort they seem to be putting in and I always think that sort of approach gives off an air of not really caring and the match they are broadcasting not being important.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Can't see people flocking to sky now the premier league is finished

I know pensioners in my town using CS boxes,it's the like of them that will go back.
    If Sky offer a dedicated football service like the rumours say then they could see an uptake come August.
    On the topic of streams, I notice the quality on a couple of apps I use has improved since the satellite feeds went dark,I think they are using HD cable sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

The only way they fight streaming is if the product becomes "non premium".

That happens a few ways.

One way is that the TV companies slash their prices and a lot more people see it as good value. That's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Another is that they move away from the TV all or nothing model.

Instead of paying for Sky sports and getting WTA tennis that you don't want as well as the EPL that you do want, you just pay for the EPL that you do want, whether that be on TV or online.

And within that you can pick what​ you want, follow your team etc.

If people get the impression that they have choice and value then they may be more willing to pay.

Nail on the head there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Horrible decision.

What a joke, that's a deal breaker for me. The efs was an original show different to other, they are cancelling that but yet will push on with that fletch and sav nonsense and stil have the likes of Hargreaves and all the other boring farts in the studios. Insanity!

BT must be ran by absolute clowns.Cancel European Football Show yet still paying Steve McManaman a wage.
    Bar the games there isn't one other thing worth paying for with them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BT football punditry is aimed at the lowest common denominator, the oaf in the pub, or the fat guy with his top off at the Newcastle matches.
    Its mind bogglingly bad.

Its not surprising though, every area of TV is being dumbed down these days, it's largely unwatchable.
    I gladly watch foreign TV to avoid having to listen to Hargreaves robotic voice, picture quality is much better too.

BT football punditry is aimed at the lowest common denominator, the oaf in the pub, or the fat guy with his top off at the Newcastle matches.
    Its mind bogglingly bad.

Its not surprising though, every area of TV is being dumbed down these days, it's largely unwatchable.
    I gladly watch foreign TV to avoid having to listen to Hargreaves robotic voice, picture quality is much better too.

I actually mute most games on BT it's a far more enjoyable experience than having to endure McManaman.He is by far the worst of any current or past pundit that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The biggest thing that pisses me off about Sky is having to pay extra for HD

In this day and age HD should be part of the basic channels if you have a Sky+ HD box in the house

As for BT,the one thing that annoys me was "lets ask World Cup final referee Howard Webb" for every little incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No need for Jimbo and boys on the European football show to give us an insightful and funny look at football when you have Gary, Rio, Steven & Paul to bore us all to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd be happy with sky sports news and whatever channel that usually shows the matchs , dont want any of the **** that goes with it and you're supposed to pay 70 odd quid for that I don't see how any one can blame people for going down the other road

• Advertisement

I'd much prefer a 'Pay as you watch' deal, that way I can watch El Clasico, or a big match between City and Chelsea, but don't want to be paying for Stoke v Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd much prefer a 'Pay as you watch' deal, that way I can watch El Clasico, or a big match between City and Chelsea, but don't want to be paying for Stoke v Burnley.

You can do that 24 hour access to Sky sports

How is it that cetain phone apps still have the channels on them ? Are they run differently ? Would love to get them on the tv

How is it that cetain phone apps still have the channels on them ? Are they run differently ? Would love to get them on the tv

If it's on a phone them it can watched on a tv.
    Might take a bit of messing around but any content on those apps will be available in numerous places.

It looks like isp's in the UK are trying to block streams on Kodi.Testimonials say that they are having problems but now proxies are bypassing these blocks and content is available.
    The game of whack a mole continues.I loaded up Kodi last night,it updated my add-ons and within minutes I was watching any amount of football mostly in HD.
    Even without Kodi,there's quite a few standalone apps that allow people to watch football etc live from broadcasters around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Dead line set for end of August, wait and see I suppose.

That's good news but not sure about the legality of the link, boards may frown upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

JamboMac wrote: »
    That's good news but not sure about the legality of the link, boards may frown upon.

I'm not sure either but I'll leave it up till otherwise told as it doesn't sell anything

Dead line set for end of August, wait and see I suppose.

They are basing that off nothing. They just selected a random date in the hope someone will have 1) Discovered a way to crack it by then and 2) Will release it publicly.
    They even say that here:
    Oscam developers have provided many fixes over the last 15 years so hopefully they will also provide a workaround for the current issue.

It's gone I'm afraid.

You can subscribe legally or start looking for a decent IPTV service for the new season but please do not pay any attention to anyone saying it could come back. You'll just be caught out come August and won't have anything prepared to watch the football then end up spending your money on a quick fix you haven't had time to research or test out. Once you make the switch over you'll be sorry you didn't do it earlier to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

There may well be a fix in the future, patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Liamalone wrote:
    There may well be a fix in the future, patience.

I'm willing to bet any sum of money that there won't be a fix.

You can do that 24 hour access to Sky sports

Yeah but that will include part of your payment covering all the nonsense on SS that I don't want to watch, like tennis, golf, speedway.

What I need is a 2hr pass for the match.;)

• Advertisement

Any more updates lads? More channels gone?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Any more updates lads? More channels gone?

All movies are gone as are most chanells, dave and gold. Still live

Any whispers of solutions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not a word yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is the b*llocks that killed it. Sh*tty zGemma boxes being sold with year lines costing €7. Sky didn't give enough of a damn to do anything for years until this started recently. When you've got amateur cowboys selling boxes openly on ebay to make a quick buck their hand was forced. CS became a thing for the regular joe and their granny down the road.
    Similar thing happened to Kodi. It's gone to the dogs now.

A guy involved in trying to find a fix has already abandoned the project and claimed to have been doxed. Obviously made that up because he couldn't admit they are in over their head and can't crack it.

What's wrong with Kodi? Using it since its XBMC days and its still fine. Granted yeah I know what you mean with every which android box coming with Kodi on it, but still the best HTPC programme I've seen bar none.

My box went dark like everyone else, within a few hours up on an IPTV service via Kodi and pretty happy with it. Surprised by the quality and the stability of it.

Paid €20 for a month, but will take out a longer sub for a reducded.

Slight downside is the package contains 9000+ channels so kodi is in bits starting up loading it all, but think I can **** around with some **** to get rid of channels I don't want.

LEgit sports can have me back when the price comes down, or I can buy a team based subscription. I love my high quality, so I'd love to go back to Sky and their box in a heartbeat, but not at the pricing it is at.

It is reaching breaking point though, that last TV deal will be the last big one before they go back next time and be like "yeah, we can't get customers at that price, so we arn't paying it".

It's just inevitable, subscription based services for content specific to the individual, all entertainment media going like that and has for a good few years. Clever companies have embraced it, the ones that don't will fall by the wayside.

Funny thing is I don't even know how much is "the right price" to bring me back. But I could see myself paying €150-€250 for a year sub to watch all United games in 1080p.

Or how about being able to build my own package, where I can throw in Real Madrid games? Or another teams games.

We will get there eventually, but until then, don't see how I'm going back.

And its a shame, was with Sky when they first arrived through my parents, kept it up when I moved out, but when they lost the CL rights and the price went up, that was me done. Then noticed United games more and more split between them and I couldn't justify €120 a month for just the sports package to watch United.

But sure like all other parts of entertainment and media, the penny will eventually drop.

I pirated music constantly, didn't buy a CD for easily a decade. Spotify came out and I havn't pirated a song since. Pay the premium sub. The arguement that it doesn't provide the artists the same money is folly, the market has changed. The delivery medium has changed, there is pure saturation. For average artists to expect to be earning the same money is a ludcirous assumption that is just trying to ensure the gravy train.

And football, especially the premier league, is the same. While they have and rely on fanbases in UK and Ireland, there is so much saturation of Football available now, from pretty much most if not all of the main leagues, it's ridiculous to assume they can expect to maintain the same earnings and charge to customers.

Sure, I'll always follow United and watch their games, but you couldn't pay me to watch West Brom, Stoke, Sunderland and basically 16 of the 20 teams in the league. The quality in the league is drastically dropping and there is so much mediocrity in the EPL from 8th down, where as leagues like La Liga and Bundesliga show frequently competitive and more enjoyable games

I'm willing to bet any sum of money that there won't be a fix.

Future could be years. I remember having one of the original dodgy boxes in the 90's, they got sorted out and it was about 6 years before they worked again :D

It will be sometime before it gets sorted, but they will come back. For now mines packed up and in the shed. IT's a linux based box, so may figure out something to use it for, but it was no big deal. Got my moneys worth.

Where as in the 90's it was straight back to sky, there is so many options now, it was a bummer for about an hour before I was onto the next thing that works.

TheDoc wrote: »
    What's wrong with Kodi? Using it since its XBMC days and its still fine. Granted yeah I know what you mean with every which android box coming with Kodi on it, but still the best HTPC programme I've seen bar none.

Kodi is still the best (although I use Plex for my media nowadays) but my problem is with all the idiots selling cheap 'fully loaded' boxes giving it a bad name. I have been using XBMC since the original xbox days and I have previously released and maintained several plugins for it. The community was great and it has been completely ruined now because of all the tools who buy these cheap fully loaded boxes and then show up on the forum asking idiotic questions and blaming the devs for problems when it has nothing to do with them. The people selling these boxes have hurt Kodi badly.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Future could be years. I remember having one of the original dodgy boxes in the 90's, they got sorted out and it was about 6 years before they worked again :D

It will be sometime before it gets sorted, but they will come back. For now mines packed up and in the shed. IT's a linux based box, so may figure out something to use it for, but it was no big deal. Got my moneys worth.

Where as in the 90's it was straight back to sky, there is so many options now, it was a bummer for about an hour before I was onto the next thing that works.

I added a tuner to my box and have put all the saorview and FTV channels on one bouquet.Full EPG with record etc .Have added Kodi as well so I have plenty to keep me going.
    Plenty to put on those Linux box's,bit of a waste to not use it.Probably be loads of box's on done deal in the next few weeks.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I added a tuner to my box and have put all the saorview and FTV channels on one bouquet.Full EPG with record etc .Have added Kodi as well so I have plenty to keep me going.
    Plenty to put on those Linux box's,bit of a waste to not use it.Probably be loads of box's on done deal in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately I bought a box without really researching it and all it's good for now is a cup holder.

When ya say Linux is that the openbox V8 because that's what I have apperently it's capable of IPTV but I'd be unsure of how to do it , My last box had Kodi

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Unfortunately I bought a box without really researching it and all it's good for now is a cup holder.

What box is it ?

What box is it ?

Amiko Mini Combo

**** box even when it was working.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Jayop wrote: »
    Amiko Mini Combo

**** box even when it was working.

I have that box as well,did the job fine for me,the only thing I could say about it was it wasnt exactly user friendly,the menu was a bit like something from a Commodore 64 :D

I have that box as well,did the job fine for me,the only thing I could say about it was it wasnt exactly user friendly,the menu was a bit like something from a Commodore 64 :D

Yeah I didn't have an image so any time I erased my channels I had to go through them one at a time with the remote and put them in the correct menu in the correct order. Took ages. :mad:

Kodi is all good and well but it doesn't have the live stream, thats what always gets me. Can you imagine being 2 minutes behind Aguerooooo goal, or Liverpool battling back for the CL. Not a chance. Need to get a proper sub service from Sky,and I'll pay no question.

Kodi is still the best (although I use Plex for my media nowadays) but my problem is with all the idiots selling cheap 'fully loaded' boxes giving it a bad name. I have been using XBMC since the original xbox days and I have previously released and maintained several plugins for it. The community was great and it has been completely ruined now because of all the tools who buy these cheap fully loaded boxes and then show up on the forum asking idiotic questions and blaming the devs for problems when it has nothing to do with them. The people selling these boxes have hurt Kodi badly.

Ah yeah I know what you mean. Father in law and brother in laws got three boxes a while back and the fella had put so many addons onto KODI the box was crawling. A good spec box just had way to much. I just wiped it and set them up a "what you need" kodi install and they are flying.

But yeah there is so many images and profiles available online lads just seem to be cutting corners. Surprised at how much money they were making tbh, kinda felt like I missed out. With my Kodi experience I seemed to just be going round to friends and family with these boxes, wiping them and the ****e that was on them, and setting them up efficently

Might well look to shift mine too really. With my HTPC I just don't need it.

Paid €140 or something for it a few years ago, must see what the going rate is.

Would a Mars Android DTV player work for IPTV I used to use it for Kodi before my new operater gave me an Open Box V8 but I here these don't work too well with IPTV

Would a Mars Android DTV player work for IPTV I used to use it for Kodi before my new operater gave me an Open Box V8 but I here these don't work too well with IPTV

Buy an official Android box and avoid the hassle. Every type of IPTV has an app designed for TV and will work on them.

• Advertisement

Gonna get a multi LNB and get in all the foreign channels

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement