Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to quit my job but I don't have another job to go to.

Options
  • 31-03-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Due to ineffective management I started job hunting a few weeks ago.

I can't get my projects on the road without signoff from management but management are too busy to give even 30 seconds thought to my projects so I'm stagnating. Sometimes it seems like they don't even care. I'm literally twiddling my thumbs.

I'd love to just get moving on one particular project but it's a deal costing roughly €400,000 but I am not comfortable pressing Go and don't actually have the authority to either. This particular project has been on the long finger since Sept 2016 waiting for management signoff.

They will eventually have time to go through everything, but I don't know when. Even if they gave it the OK now it's too late in the year to start it.

I want to hand in my notice on Monday and move to a job where I feel more productive. The only problem is I haven't secured another job to move to yet.

I have enough savings to cover 7 months current wage for what it's worth. Obviously I could stretch that to 12 months if I stopped buying gadgets & pints etc.

Would I be crazy to hand in my notice?

Comments

Yes, you would.

If you're as good as you seem to think you are, find a new job before you hand in your notice where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

I just started a new job on Monday. I left a permanent job after 4 and half years in January with nowhere to go.

Do it OP. It was the best decision I ever made. Something will come up. And please don't listen to negative people saying you will be out of work for months and giving you examples of scenarios that might never happen. If you put all your energy jn to finding something else and you have the experience, you will get a new job. Don't panick and have vision.

The very best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In most industries, it is far easier to get a job when you have a a job. It can be difficult to explain gaps in your CV.

In most industries, it is far easier to get a job when you have a a job. It can be difficult to explain gaps in your CV.

I was told that too. And it didn't impact on me whatsoever.
    I got another job after a month of looking. When I was employed I had been looking for 6 months and nothing.

Sometimes you need a break to be to apply yourself to look for a job you actually want. I was in such a negative head space in my last job that it was carrying through into interviews.

If you have a strong work record up to now and want to leave, I say leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yep, another vote for just leave now. I did it a few years ago, was in that job for 11 years and it messed my head so much, I walked away with nothing else lined up but leaving was the best decision I ever made.
    Different industry and career now, couldn't be happier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can't see why you'd give up wages and risk being out of work for a long time when all you have to do is find jobs and apply for them - that doesn't take all day to do.
    Now, if you hate the job, fair enough - but perhaps you could use the time between now and finding a new job to look at how you present your projects to management, and perhaps try to become more effective at selling your ideas to them. You have nothing to lose if you're halfway out the door either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Have you looked at what's available out there?

It very much depends on how much work is available in your field.

Also bear in mind that you will always be asked why you left your last job.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭browne_rob5

Why don't you use the spare time in work to unskill and find a new job. Sounds like you are getting paid to do nothing so not sure why you would give that up when you have nothing to move on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Due to ineffective management I started job hunting a few weeks ago.

I can't get my projects on the road without signoff from management but management are too busy to give even 30 seconds thought to my projects so I'm stagnating. Sometimes it seems like they don't even care. I'm literally twiddling my thumbs.

I'd love to just get moving on one particular project but it's a deal costing roughly €400,000 but I am not comfortable pressing Go and don't actually have the authority to either. This particular project has been on the long finger since Sept 2016 waiting for management signoff.

They will eventually have time to go through everything, but I don't know when. Even if they gave it the OK now it's too late in the year to start it.

I want to hand in my notice on Monday and move to a job where I feel more productive. The only problem is I haven't secured another job to move to yet.

I have enough savings to cover 7 months current wage for what it's worth. Obviously I could stretch that to 12 months if I stopped buying gadgets & pints etc.

Would I be crazy to hand in my notice?

Have to say your sounding like an impetuous child throwing a hissy fit because someone won't come right now and look at your toys !!

Is there any project you do have the authority to start ??

Even if there isn't just communicate effectively to management that your ready and everything is lined up for this work you just need a decision, if the decision is delayed look for something else to fill the time.

Keep looking for work but you would be foolish to walk out now and use your savings rather than continue drawing the wage and looking while keeping your savings for an actual emergency.

If you leave now and get an interview in three months what will you tell them about the gap ?? That you were too impatient and would rather sit at home spending your savings than trying to get a project off the ground ??

Relax, keep plugging away and look for work on parallel

When I was called to interview and asked why I left my job I told them the truth. I left because after such a stint in my last place I wasn't happy and needed a new challenge and some time to really focus on getting a new job.

All they said was that it was a very brave thing to do.

It was the best decision I ever made.

It saddens me to see the same thing said here that was thrown in my face.

None of it ever came to fruition. If you're unhappy get out. It's just a job, there's many, many more out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement