Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone done public and private to compare and contrast?

Options
  • 31-03-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm expecting #2. Went public on #1 and quite happy to go public again. My mother is very old school and horrified that I'm going public again as I'm in my early 40s but I can't justify the fees for private and found the public service excellent last time -, was 40+ then aswell. I'm constantly trying to convince her not to be worried and that I can get an extra private scan anytime. So my question is, for anyone who's done both, how did you compare? I know of people who changed from private to public but not well enough to ask. How often does a private obs gyn see you when private? I go between Gp and hospital. Have had early scan and my next one at 20wks - the anomaly one. But got a private one at 12 wks and considering another private one maybe at 28wks. I have no medical issues. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

73trix wrote: »
    Hi. I'm expecting #2. Went public on #1 and quite happy to go public again. My mother is very old school and horrified that I'm going public again as I'm in my early 40s but I can't justify the fees for private and found the public service excellent last time -, was 40+ then aswell. I'm constantly trying to convince her not to be worried and that I can get an extra private scan anytime. So my question is, for anyone who's done both, how did you compare? I know of people who changed from private to public but not well enough to ask. How often does a private obs gyn see you when private? I go between Gp and hospital. Have had early scan and my next one at 20wks - the anomaly one. But got a private one at 12 wks and considering another private one maybe at 28wks. I have no medical issues. Thanks.

Yes me. Until you have done both you just can't compare. I am in early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Millem wrote: »

How often did you see the consultant? I'm not bothered about waiting times and private room.

I know about 3 people who decided to go public on #2 after being private on #1 as they felt they couldn't justify the cost. We are saving for a wedding aswell and could do with the 3K. We've made our decision based on good experience last time but having difficulty reassuring my mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

How often did you see the consultant? I'm not bothered about waiting times and private room.

I saw my consultant at 21, 25 and 29 weeks. I've another appointment for 32 wks, and i would think from then it will be every 2-3 weeks. If I needed I see her in between, I could ring and she would fit me in somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

jlm29 wrote: »
    I saw my consultant at 21, 25 and 29 weeks. I've another appointment for 32 wks, and i would think from then it will be every 2-3 weeks. If I needed I see her in between, I could ring and she would fit me in somewhere.

Sorry, just to clarify, this is my third, extremely trouble free, low risk pregnancy. I've never been in the public system, so I can't actually give you any comparisons between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

If you don't care about a private room go semi private. It's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Millem wrote: »

In which order? Did you go public to private or vice versa and why if you don't mind me asking? What hospital? I think if it was a busy Dublin hospital I'd be going private, regardless, from what I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

In which order? Did you go public to private or vice versa and why if you don't mind me asking? What hospital? I think if it was a busy Dublin hospital I'd be going private, regardless, from what I've heard!

I was public then domino on my first now private on my second. I see my consultant any time I want. There is no limit on visits and no additional fees. First app was at 8 weeks, then 12 weeks then 16 weeks then 20 weeks. That is for normal pregnancy. I actually had an additional 2 appointments at say 13 weeks and 15 weeks.

I don't go to a gp at all.
    I will never ever go public again. My first pregnancy was my first ever experience of the public healthcare system for anything. If anyone in our family ever needed a and e we would always of gone to beacon hosp or vhi swift are or Blackrock clinic. They are handy for our house and we always had health insurance.

Advertisement