Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pannier advice

Options
  • 31-03-2017 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

My bike has a pannier rack built in and I'm thinking of buying a pannier bag or two for it.  I'd mostly be using it to carry the shopping and maybe just for commuting to work and carrying gym gear/spare set of clothes/laptop/general stuff I carry on my backpack.

I don't want something too big and bulky and is going to mess up the balance on the bike (maybe that's inevitable).  I was thinking of a rear pannier, as opposed to a front one or front basket/holder.

Any suggestions/advice?  I saw a few in Decathlon but nothing that really grabbed me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lidl and ALdi used to do them as part of their cycling specials, but I haven't seen them recently. If you are 'blessed' with big feet, just make sure the pannier actually fits and doesn't rub off your heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Lidl and ALdi used to do them as part of their cycling specials, but I haven't seen them recently. If you are 'blessed' with big feet, just make sure the pannier actually fits and doesn't rub off your heels.

I have an old pair of aldi ones. Do the new ones a support panel on the inside near the rack. The old ones only had a flimsy panel and if you didn't have full pannier rack they would bend and rub against the wheel.

Feckofff wrote: »
    I have an old pair of aldi ones. Do the new ones a support panel on the inside near the rack. The old ones only had a flimsy panel and if you didn't have full pannier rack they would bend and rub against the wheel.

My Crivit ones don't seem to have any panel really - just the vinyl material all round. I see one of the seams is bursting now, so I should think about replacing.

Has anyone had good experiences bringing in anything like these yokes from CHina?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Good-deal-Roswheel-60L-Cycling-Bicycle-Bag-Bike-Double-Side-Rear-Rack-Tail-Seat-Trunk-Bag/32725336333.html?spm=2114.01010108.3.285.3lv0vx&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10152_10151_10065_10150_10068_10136_10137_10138_10060_10062_10141_10056_10055_10054_122_10059_10099_10103_10102_10096_10148_10147_10052_10053_10050_10107_10142_10051_10143_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10110_10111_10112_10113_10114_10078_10079_10073_10070_10123_10124,searchweb201603_9,afswitch_1,ppcSwitch_5&btsid=44e28f80-1602-4110-ba62-d3a0d7eda9f5&algo_expid=7f79b986-28c5-43f6-b247-1625bdf46a83-29&algo_pvid=7f79b986-28c5-43f6-b247-1625bdf46a83

• Registered Users Posts: 33 StGriffen

Don't waste your time with anything other than an Ortlieb pannier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

StGriffen wrote: »

To add to this, the "front" panniers are smaller than the "back" but fit fine. I have used one for commuting for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 StGriffen

To follow up, these are excellent value
    https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Back-Roller%20City/

Just buy the separate shoulder strap for a tenner or so

k123456 wrote: »
    These might catch your heel, judging by picture, and delivery from Ali, can take two months

Possibly - they have other designs there also. The delivery time wouldn't bother me - the quality is the concern. Will they be usable and will they last is the real question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

A word also for Carradice. I've had a pair of Carradice panniers (made in thick, canvas-like cotton duck, with a strong board backing) for… let's see, it must be 30 years. One of them has developed a couple of small holes in the bottom in the last year.

They're expensive, always were, but very solid and hold vast amounts of shopping or touring gear.

No pannier is likely to pull your bike off balance; I regularly put a slab of Saskia water (9kg) in one and cycle home no problem, and I'm not particularly strong or fit. Panniers tend to stabilise the bike because they pull the weight balance downwards, lowering the centre of gravity.

Avoid the cheap ones in nylon, because the seams rip.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/panniers/originals-kendal-panniers-pair

(These and the other ones Carradice are now doing aren't as good as mine, which were more modern than the ones Carridice is now defaulting back to. Mine have adjustable clicky straps, and a bright orange viz lozenge on the back pocket of each. We have, somewhere, a Carradice saddle bag with leather straps - it had a tendency to bulge and spill stuff because the buckled straps weren't as adjustable as the clicky kind.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I use small agu panniers that do the job. I've a larger set for when I'm doing the shopping. Planet x used to sell them

• Advertisement

Yeah, it depends what you're carrying. I have a padded one for laptops and the like - an Altura Urban. It has a lock-on clip so it can't bounce off the back carrier, and a shoulder strap and a zip-on flap to cover the clips so you can carry it and have it look smart with your business suit. Inside, there's a lightly padded removable zip bag for the computer, papers or whatever.

http://road.cc/content/review/143346-altura-urban-dryline-briefcase-15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I need to buy a the whole kit, a frame and bags. Would I be better off heading to a cycle shop with the bike to ensure a good fitting? I don't fancy ordering online only for the thing not to fit the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I'd second this. I got a pair in Cycleways on Parnell St. last year and their prices were competitive (cheaper even) than anything I could find online. They can also order specific colours if the ones you want aren't in stock.

The pair I bought last year were a gift for someone else. The original pair I bought >6 years ago are still going strong. 100% waterproof. No issues with any of the attachments. Total peace of mind. Worth every penny.

Ich liebe Ortlieb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

haven't tried any others tbh but am delighted with my ortliebs, been using them daily for around 2 years at this stage and not a single issue. i'd often carry work clothes, work laptop and gear for soccer at the same time in a single pannier with no issues and water has certainly never gotten near the laptop.

Read back three posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

that's dublin 1 surely :pac:

that's dublin 1 surely :pac:

OK, by 100 metres!

Dublin 4 http://www.fitzcycles.ie/m/142/ortlieb
    Dublin 2 http://www.greenaer.ie/product-category/accessories/baskets-bags/
    (Thank you, Mr Google.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I was very excited to notice a hole in the frame of my road bike which looks like it might be used to attach a carrier for panniers.
    Could someone please check and confirm?
    If it's not for panniers, what's the hole for? Mudguards?
    There's no corresponding holes in the seat stays which suggests the hole could well be just for mudguard attachments :-(
    Thanks

The hole at the bottom looks like a mudguard or pannier rack. Is there corresponding holes at the top of the seat stay?

That's what I thought, but the second photo was to show no holes in the seat stays :(

• Advertisement

or maybe my bike doesn't need holes in the seat stays as some carriers have main attachment to seat tube?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I was very excited to notice a hole in the frame of my road bike which looks like it might be used to attach a carrier for panniers.
    Could someone please check and confirm?
    If it's not for panniers, what's the hole for? Mudguards?
    There's no corresponding holes in the seat stays which suggests the hole could well be just for mudguard attachments :-(
    Thanks
    You'll mount a carrier to those points also. You just have to attach the upper mount to the brake caliper bolt.

Axiom-Streamliner-Rack-on-Road-Bike.jpg

You have a corresponding hole on the bottom of the non drive side stay? Are they 4mm threaded? If so you can definitely put "proper" mudguards on, or fit panniers with pclips.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You'll mount a carrier to those points also. You just have to attach the upper mount to the brake caliper bolt.

I am very excited - this means I can go touring on my road bike!
    Thanks for photo of your set up.
    Idleater wrote: »
    You have a corresponding hole on the bottom of the non drive side stay? Are they 4mm threaded? If so you can definitely put "proper" mudguards on, or fit panniers with pclips.

Yes hole on other side too, I didn't measure them or look to see ifthey were threaded, will check this eve - thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

MB Lacey wrote: »
    or maybe my bike doesn't need holes in the seat stays as some carriers have main attachment to seat tube?

Your bike doesn't necessarily need them, a lot of racks and carriers will mount to the rear brake bridge
    64867ee536ad44469e84c6a7b7fd69e6.png
    alternatively mounting points can easily be installed using a seat collar with eyelets
    eba7695ccb314ab284eaf21c8e305d15.png

Apologies I see cdaly already mentioned the brake bridge option

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Vaude are also a really good make.
    Again not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Vaude are also a really good make.
    Again not cheap.

I would second that. I have the Vaude bag (Vaude Cycle 28) Bag I use to commute to work. Its got lots of pockets and a separate laptop compartment + rain cover + can convert into a back pack. I have the Ortliebs as well - they are great Waterproof bags but I do not use day to day as I prefer having the various pockets and compartments of the Vaude Bag. On a side note - I sheared two zips off the Vaude bag(my fault did not have proper carrier upgraded to a TUBUS rack since) and sent to Vaude in Germany to get it repaired and they replaced the bag for free.

Agree 100%, many years ago I bought a couple of bags in Lidl, one of the catches broke as I was using it for the first time, wheeling it out the door to cycle to the airport to catch a plane with my bike.
    Next 10 days spent trying to tie the thing onto the bike.

Some very low-cost yokes coming to Lidl; http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=55058

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Going on my first cycling holiday (for 7 days) and need to get myself a pair of panniers.
    I'm going to rent a bike over there rather than bringing my own.
    Just have a few questions:

Do any brands of panniers come with straps so that you can wear like a rucksack?
    I'll be travelling for a couple of days before I actually rent a bike, so trying to figure out the best way of carrying my clothes around in advance of getting the bike and attaching the panniers.
    Has anyone seen any good deals recently on panniers ?

thanks

Advertisement