Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pannier advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Some panniers do come with straps (think back straps and shoulder straps). Don't have any experience, but I've read about them.

You can also turn a backpack into a pannier, if you already have the former and want to save money. Can't vouch for the outcome though, as I've never tried it.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Backpack-panniers-that-are-still-backpacks/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Some panniers do come with straps (think back straps and shoulder straps). Don't have any experience, but I've read about them.

You can also turn a backpack into a pannier, if you already have the former and want to save money. Can't vouch for the outcome though, as I've never tried it.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Backpack-panniers-that-are-still-backpacks/

Oyster basket panniers

https://thefrugalcyclist.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/the-classic-diy-obp-oyster-bucket-panniers/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Going on my first cycling holiday (for 7 days) and need to get myself a pair of panniers.
    I'm going to rent a bike over there rather than bringing my own.
    Just have a few questions:

Do any brands of panniers come with straps so that you can wear like a rucksack?
    I'll be travelling for a couple of days before I actually rent a bike, so trying to figure out the best way of carrying my clothes around in advance of getting the bike and attaching the panniers.
    Has anyone seen any good deals recently on panniers ?

thanks

I got this last week for my wife, hasn't used it yet though.

http://willex.be/catalogus/enkele-tassen/kantoortas-xl

It was €60 at a conference.

The J-hooks (mentioned in Chuchote's link) would be useful. I used some old Cateye light-mount parts, but I've used all my spare ones making a lock holster for the bakfiets:
    391076.jpg

and a similar side basket for the tourer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Or Sugru would work if you'd like to model your own:

https://sugru.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'm resurrecting this one. I've spotted these going for a steal and I'm thinking about getting them. https://ie.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-pannier-bag-937787?colcode=93778703

30 quid for 47l of storage with a good range of pockets sounds too good to be true. I notice it says nothing about being waterproof but is that a dealbreaker? I've never had panniers before but wouldn't mind trying a little light touring if I can get them so cheap.

Anyone with experience who could give some input?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For light touring, 47l is a lot. they look like they'd bounce around on the back of a rack too and they were never ever worth 75 quid so don't get sucked in by the RRP.

I'd sooner go on eBay or adverts and pick up better ones with better hooks and waterproofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If they are not waterproof you are wasting your money. I have the classic ortlieb panniers plus an ortlieb handlebar bag - expensive but if touring you want your stuff to be dry.

Thanks guys, will give them a miss so. I'd spend €40 or so max on a set but not upwards of a hundred euro for something that will be used very rarely. Unless there's something in that bracket new I'll keep a casual eye on adverts.

benjamin d wrote: »
    Thanks guys, will give them a miss so. I'd spend €40 or so max on a set but not upwards of a hundred euro for something that will be used very rarely. Unless there's something in that bracket new I'll keep a casual eye on adverts.

Another option would be a dry bag. Put your stuff in it and tie it to the carrier with bungee cords.
    A handlebar bag is very handy though - takes phone, maps, snacks, rain jackets, coins etc - with quick access by flipping the lid.

• Advertisement

I have heard people say they prefer panniers not to be totally waterproof when touring, as the contents if packed when a little damp end up very smelly after a day's cycling in the sun.

Can't remember who said it here. Maybe it was blorg.

I have heard people say they prefer panniers not to be totally waterproof when touring, as the contents if packed when a little damp end up very smelly after a day's cycling in the sun.

Can't remember who said it here. Maybe it was blorg.

I was cycling recently and just hung my wet shorts and tshirt off of the panniers. They were dry within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

A propos of the title, is it possible to get race bike panniers?

My wife commutes on a road bike, so no eyelets or extraneous fixings. But just like you can get mudguards for race bikes, is there a pannier/carrier equivalent? She's having a lot of trouble with her shoulder and would like to stop carrying a ruck sack, even though it's a lightweight one and she doesn't need to carry a laptop or anything.
    I thought I'd ask here first.

Sorry I think I see some examples of same on the previous page. That seat collar thing looks cool, are they widely available? And is it skewer based mounts on either side of the rear wheel I'm looking at?

I was cycling recently and just hung my wet shorts and tshirt off of the panniers. They were dry within a few hours.

Yeah, I don't have a strong opinion on this. I just remember someone else saying it.

I have a comfortable hiking-type rucksack that I can happily cycle with. That's about 35l so does the job for most cases, but I like the thought of panniers as a more convenient bit of storage and in case as I say I do a bit of touring at some stage. Decathlon has a waterproof/resistant 20l pannier for €25 and a little non-waterproof commuting one for 12 quid. I might chance the €25 one and see how it goes.

I presume 50-55l of storage is loads for almost all purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Some cheapo panniers coming to Lidl soon;

https://www.lidl-flyer.com/e3a4839f-9bc9-11e8-be55-005056ab0fb6/locale/en-IE/view/flyer/page/18?_ga=2.236024071.783082409.1534608526-341238181.1534608526

I've had mixed results with Lidl/Aldi ones, they probably won't last for too long.

Yeah, I don't have a strong opinion on this. I just remember someone else saying it.

It would be an issue alright with a wet tent. Hard to let that dry unless you stop somewhere the next day and spread it out to dry for an hour.

https://www.lidl-flyer.com/e3a4839f-9bc9-11e8-be55-005056ab0fb6/locale/en-IE/view/flyer/page/18?_ga=2.236024071.783082409.1534608526-341238181.1534608526

I've had mixed results with Lidl/Aldi ones, they probably won't last for too long.

I got ones from lidl before. They look different. They used to have a trio of bags - yellow, blue and red ones. Some were a shopping type. I think the yellow one was fold down top type. I got red ones that are under the bed - never used. I could always stick them on the front rack if I needed to carry a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

The girlfriend has done 5 months worth of touring with Lidl panniers. I was sceptical myself too but they're holding strong. YMMV!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Paninis were big in the 90’s. Used to love a ham, cheese and tomato one. Wonder when they will come back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Another vote for ortlieb.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Ortleib all the way. Used one every day for the last 6 or 7 years. It will not let you down.

I think I'll go for cotton duck panniers when my current ones wear out. My bikehod trailer has a Carradice bag, and it's breathable when dry, and goes stiff when wet, which keeps out most water.

My current panniers are old Sporthouse ones, found by a work colleague in a skip, and kindly retrieved for me by same. They were old when I got them, and they've done another ten years since. Maybe they're not that great compared to Ortliebs, but they seem to go on forever, if you do minor repairs.

Sometimes (not all the time), I like a bit of red onion as well !!

s8n wrote: »
    Sometimes (not all the time), I like a bit of red onion as well !!
    You do know it was only kindness that made us ignore you the first time?

I was never a fan of the unknown brand generic crisps they used to give on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

fat bloke wrote: »
    A propos of the title, is it possible to get race bike panniers?

My wife commutes on a road bike, so no eyelets or extraneous fixings. But just like you can get mudguards for race bikes, is there a pannier/carrier equivalent? She's having a lot of trouble with her shoulder and would like to stop carrying a ruck sack, even though it's a lightweight one and she doesn't need to carry a laptop or anything.
    I thought I'd ask here first.

Sorry I think I see some examples of same on the previous page. That seat collar thing looks cool, are they widely available? And is it skewer based mounts on either side of the rear wheel I'm looking at?

The Tailfin system looks really nice https://www.tailfin.cc/ Pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Chuchote wrote: »
    A word also for Carradice.

+1

They have been going for years and will last. Ortileb is also a good shout although no direct experience.

Carradice and many other makes also do smaller bags that don't require a rack, i.e. a Carradice Nelson with SQR mount. When I commute, I leave shoes and lock at work and can then fit everything into the even smaller Carradice Barley.

Advertisement