Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant for a 30th birthday?!

Options
  • 01-04-2017 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I know this one has been done to the death, but hope i could get some decent pointers here.

Basically, I'm after getting my wife a new car for her birthday, which is during the week. As we both have work etc, i was looking for some suggestions on nice restaurants that we could drive to, but no more than an hour outside of the city. A nice spin in her car, places like portmarnock, Howth, or south side. Somewhere with a nice drive, such as the Wicklow Heather or Johnny Fox's.. but nice enough for a 30th.

Any help much welcomed because i am completely useless!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What type food and budget?
    Aqua in Howth seems to always get decent reviews.
    Apart from the newly revamped Country Club in Portmarnock, Malahide is your next stop and there's a good choice there.
    Kajal is a great Indian owned by the people behind Kinara.
    Sale et Pepe is very good for more normal food.
    Can't really think of places with a good drive Southside!
    The restaurant in Powerscourt Hotel is very fancy, but not sure if that's in budget / style?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Depending on the Car the Lady Helen in Kilkenny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nautilus and The Greedy Goose in Malahide are nice spots.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

I really appreciate your reply guys, it's a big help.

Budget would be about 150 for the two of us. I'll order her the garlic bread and water, I'll have the 6 course!

I'm going to have a quick look at the ones you have suggested, any ideas in the Dublin mountains?

We've been to aqua before, to be honest I wasn't mad on it... But it does have a lovely view and was a great suggestion, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Fern house restaurant in Avoca Kilmacanogue.........lots of places in Greystones

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

The Wicklow Heather up in Laragh is my favourite restaurant, I have never had a bad meal there, it's a lovely setting, great place to enjoy a nice drive to in her new car, food would be well on your budget to. Johnny Fox's is high on my list to, lovely setting but the menu would be fancier in the WH! For something a bit more budget the Glenmalure Inn is a gorgeous place to sit and eat food when the weather is good but it's more so pub grub.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Up the back way to Howth (right at Sutton Cross), park in the village and go to either House or La Boqueria?

Best views in Howth from La Boqueria.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Some great suggestions here everyone, thank you so much.

The fern house cafe, any idea if the ambiance changes to something a bit more romantic for the dinner side of things? It looks like a conservatory in the day time. Do the candles and tables cloths come out in the evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

+1 for Boqueria.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just back from Kinara, Yummy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just back from Kinara, Yummy!

I hate you. I haven't been in ages.
    Must remedy that.

Advertisement