Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

going to Shamrock Rovers games from Tipperary: is this acceptable??

• 01-04-2017 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

been recently trying to get to as many rovers games as i can was at the Cliftonville friendly a couple of weeks back and was at the pats/rovers game last week quietly supporting rovers in the home end..

I'd just like to know what rovers fans think of people like myself going to games and not being from the area??

I unfortunately don't have a local team myself and have always had a soft spot for rovers so this season I'm making a big effort to get to as many games as i can and experience live football as apposed to watching it on the box

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Of course it's acceptable, you can support who you like. If the person has a problem with it, it says more about them than you, it'd be easy to ignore cos they'd be in the minority.

Go, enjoy the games (despite it being Rovers)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Support who you like. The only time you see people moaning about not supporting your local team is when Irish lads support premiership teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's great to see someone making the trip from Tipp to Dublin to watch our local league. I know people who wouldn't even walk 5 minutes to the Showgrounds despite claiming to be huge football fans.

You'd be welcome in most Shams circles even if you're not a 'local'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not a single Rovers fan is going to object to one more in the stadium.

You'll be able to make a lot of the good away trips too, like Cork and Galway.

We have northsiders come to support us. Tipp is no worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Fair play on making the effort to go to a few games, you are already doing more than 99% of the Irish public to help support and grow the local game. What part of Tipp are you in? I know Cork City get quiet a few supporters from the Cahir and Clonmel areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is it a Munster thing that you would feel odd supporting Limerick or Cork city. I'm in Clare and do a few limerick games. I can really see the club taking off if they could go on a run. The cup run last year was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Ah yeah of course it's acceptable. The league needs more fans and people through the turnstiles. I used to go to Rovers games all the time, but circumstances at the moment mean I haven't been in a couple of years now. You would be welcomed with open arms at any loi team I'd imagine. Fair play to you travelling that far for Rovers home games.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

Cheers for the replys next two rovers games I'll be able to get to are Bray away and Dundalk at home looking forward to email now!
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Is it a Munster thing that you would feel odd supporting Limerick or Cork city. I'm in Clare and do a few limerick games. I can really see the club taking off if they could go on a run. The cup run last year was great.
    Ya I'd feel a bit out of place going down supporting Cork City or Limerick being from Tipperary but that's just me!

Cheers for the replys next two rovers games I'll be able to get to are Bray away and Dundalk at home looking forward to email now!

Ya I'd feel a bit out of place going down supporting Cork City or Limerick being from Tipperary but that's just me!

I understand man. I'm from Clare but have worked and studied in limerick for the last 17 years so I don't mind supporting them as for cork I could never do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Maybe you could support the Real Rovers pacman.gif

like this great guy who sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/soccer/marks-longdistance-love-affair-with-rovers-27537527.html

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Fair play on making the effort to go to a few games, you are already doing more than 99% of the Irish public to help support and grow the local game. What part of Tipp are you in? I know Cork City get quiet a few supporters from the Cahir and Clonmel areas.

I live near Clonmel meself in the south Tipp area and funnily enough I used to ask people I know who are supposedly "great" football people about possibly going down to Cork City or Limerick games ages ago as they were near and the responses were always like "why the f##k would i travel down and support a team in Cork/Limerick" They'd rather watch United or Liverpool on the box on a Sunday :confused:

northknife wrote: »
    Maybe you could support the Real Rovers pacman.gif

like this great guy who sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/soccer/marks-longdistance-love-affair-with-rovers-27537527.html

fair play to him hey ya Sligo would be a bit of a push man unfortunatly :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

My brother and I from KK have been going to Pats games for years, been meaning to make a 'kilkenny saints' banner for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I live near Clonmel meself in the south Tipp area and funnily enough I used to ask people I know who are supposedly "great" football people about possibly going down to Cork City or Limerick games ages ago as they were near and the responses were always like "why the f##k would i travel down and support a team in Cork/Limerick" They'd rather watch United or Liverpool on the box on a Sunday :confused:

I know fellas who live next to Turners Cross and say the same thing, thats a nationwide problem unfortunetly. Anyway you seem to have a spot for the Shamrocks so go for it and keep the mind open, like every other league in the world, not every game is going to ve a classic but if you can get yourself hooked every small little victory will be so so sweet, theres nothing like live football. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

You'll never be turned away, youll be welcomed at any ground. Pity you're choosing Shams but sure nobody's perfect.

Welcome to the madhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Of course it's acceptable, but for your own times sake I can't understand why you wouldn't go with something closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

CSF wrote: »
    Of course it's acceptable, but for your own times sake I can't understand why you wouldn't go with something closer.

Depends on whether you rely on public transport or not, its a lot easier for me to get to Dublin and back home on a Friday night than from Waterford and Wexford which geographicaly at least are much closer. Also the motorways often make access to Dublin and Tallaght especially quicker than journies that potentially are on poor quality roads in other parts of the country.

As for the OP go for it! Hope you enjoy it even if you will be going to Shams matches. Did we not try and tempt you a bit last week with our super victory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

been recently trying to get to as many rovers games as i can was at the Cliftonville friendly a couple of weeks back and was at the pats/rovers game last week quietly supporting rovers in the home end..

I'd just like to know what rovers fans think of people like myself going to games and not being from the area??

I unfortunately don't have a local team myself and have always had a soft spot for rovers so this season I'm making a big effort to get to as many games as i can and experience live football as apposed to watching it on the box

I'm from near enough your locality, Shakermaker, and have often toyed with the idea of going to watch Waterford Utd. Maybe when the kids get a bit older I'll start heading down.

Anyway, as for Rovers, I know a Dutch guy living in Dublin about 15 years who's a bona-fide Rovers fanatic, so I think it's fair to say Rovers fans have no problem with blow-ins. As an aside, Andy Cairns (singer with Belfast's Therapy?), is also a Rovers fan and goes with my Dutch mate to Rovers games whenever he's in Dublin. Seems like a very welcoming club from what I hear.

Of course you would be a miserable bastard. He loves football **** off and get a life. Who cares who he supportes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Remember there is no greater football experience than watching it on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

you're more than welcome, it doesn't matter at all where you're from. :)

I definitely recommend getting into the away end when you can like in Bray, Limerick, Cork or Galway. It's harder for Pats or Bohs which are usually all-ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I'm laying claim to being Shamrock Rovers only fan from County Clare. First match I got to was v Sligo Rovers at Milltown in 1979. God I feel old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Not only is it acceptable, Shams fans would shake your hand if they knew you were making the trip from Tipp to go to games. You obviously have a connection with that club (God love you) so absolutely go. There is nothing better than going to games and getting involved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fair play to you (even if it is Rovers!). Plenty of people within sight of Tallaght Stadium that wouldn't do likewise.

I live 1hr 15 mins at best (also Friday evenings when games are on add more for traffic) from Turners Cross and have regularly attended Cork City games and had a season ticket for the 2013 season. My father also had a season ticket for as long as I can remember. It's the next best thing for those of us not located near a LoI club, which in fairness is a large chunk of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

There's a lad at every rovers home game who's from roscommon, drives up for every game and brings his flag too. You're more than welcome at all rovers games no matter where you're from.

kksaints wrote: »
    As for the OP go for it! Hope you enjoy it even if you will be going to Shams matches. Did we not try and tempt you a bit last week with our super victory?

have to say no unfortunately! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm from and live in Kilkenny and was a season ticket holder at Rovers for the last two seasons but didn't take it up this season as I missed too many last year with work. I'm changing jobs in a couple of weeks so I hope to be getting to more rovers games or if I can't make Rovers I'll try to make the Cross if I'm in Cork on a Friday. Some of my friends from the hill on Buckley Park still go to different LoI games.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

marno21 wrote: »
    I live 1hr 15 mins at best (also Friday evenings when games are on add more for traffic) from Turners Cross and have regularly attended Cork City games and had a season ticket for the 2013 season. My father also had a season ticket for as long as I can remember. It's the next best thing for those of us not located near a LoI club, which in fairness is a large chunk of the country.

From Kerry and used to go to a lot of Cork City games. Intend to do so again...daughter is just 2 so might be a bit young yet. You have my sympathies if you had to use either the bypass or the Mission Road on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Do things that make you feel good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Of course you would be a miserable bastard. He loves football **** off and get a life. Who cares who he supportes
    Yeah cause that's completely what I said. Read posts before replying with abuse.

Yeah cause that's completely what I said. Read posts before replying with abuse.

Your right I apologise that post came across way ****tier than I meant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Going to see Shamrock Rovers games from anywhere is completely unacceptable.

I myself go to Bohs games from Tipp (as long as I get off work early enough)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Bohs fan from Tralee here. Lot of friends in Finglas so makes the commute a bit more bearable knowing I have a bed if I want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Don't worry, Shamrock Rovers aren't from the area either.

Fair play for making the effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Two of my dads relations in Mullingar used to commute to Rovers games (for their sins)! We'd bump into them in the days when we'd be both in the Premier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

You're an absolute disgrace. You should be supporting you're local team in Tipp. Shameful behaviour from you.Nothing but a bandwagon jumper.

Im based in South Eastern Tipperary and my 2 local LOI clubs here traditionally would have been Kilkenny City who resigned from the LOI and Waterford. Ive been to a Cork City game in the past and would like to have regular LOI football to go to but I suppose if im being honest the GAA thing does come into it. It would just niggle away at me supporting teams from the counties where our great rivals come from. its more at a subconscious level and sounds ridiculous but that is the way it is. Its not so much that i wouldnt go to a game but just couldnt see myself supporting them regularly. Im hoping to maybe take in a Waterford and Cork game soon though if anything to support the LOI movement who are producing some brilliant talent.

Id get behind a Tipperary team if they were to join the LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Im based in South Eastern Tipperary and my 2 local LOI clubs here traditionally would have been Kilkenny City who resigned from the LOI and Waterford. Ive been to a Cork City game in the past and would like to have regular LOI football to go to but I suppose if im being honest the GAA thing does come into it. It would just niggle away at me supporting teams from the counties where our great rivals come from. its more at a subconscious level and sounds ridiculous but that is the way it is. Its not so much that i wouldnt go to a game but just couldnt see myself supporting them regularly. Im hoping to maybe take in a Waterford and Cork game soon though if anything to support the LOI movement who are producing some brilliant talent.

That actually does make sense in fairness. I can understand that logic.

Definitely try to get to games though. The more support the LOI get, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

But you can support a team from a country we've had a real rivalry with no bother at all?

But you can support a team from a country we've had a real rivalry with no bother at all?

Fair point.

I suppose ive supported Arsenal from a very young age when political history and Geography didnt really come into the equation. I learned of English football when i was a little older than a toddler and LOI football when i was 7 or 8 and long before i knew of the Anglo-irish history and bloodshed. This is probably due to English Football being marketed better and more global. Lets face it, our FAI have never gave a flying fúck about the domestic league so it was always facing an uphill battle to reach out to the public.

• Advertisement

Same with me and i don't even follow the gaa I'd just feel completely out of place and kind of intruding going down shouting for Waterford, Cork City or Limerick being from Tipp.

Mind you there's absolutely nothing wrong with people from Tipp that do support other Munster teams that's just the way I'd feel anyway..

I'd love it we had our own team here from Tipperary in the premier or the first division that would be the dream!

Making the trip up to the Bray game tomorrow night is it pay at the gate at the Carlisle ground for the away section can anyone tell me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Making the trip up to the Bray game tomorrow night is it pay at the gate at the Carlisle ground for the away section can anyone tell me??

Yup, or you can buy online beforehand if you wish, it's on the Bray site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Thurles town used to have a team in the league but couldn't sustain it. Reckon Tipperary is just one of those counties that wouldn't support a team and is too GAA oriented. Look what happened an established club in neighbouring Kilkenny.

Pity mind you as they have a huge interest in junior football with top teams like st michaels, clonmel town and carrick utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's a kiosk just outside the ground where you buy the tickets, next to the train station more or less. Enjoy the game!

Advertisement