Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plugs intermittently not working

Options
  • 01-04-2017 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me, apologies if this is the wrong forum! We have a 30 year old semi-d house. Recently the upstairs electricals seem faulty. Plugs intermittently stop working, then start again. It seems when we plug something into a socket in one bedroom it affects the sockets in other rooms, some or all of them Stop working, then they start again when we plug something else in or out. Outdoor security light also affected but no other lights are. It's very random in that it can be any socket upstairs that sets it off. Trip switches not affected. Obviously something funny is going on but just wondering a) has anyone heard of this before, b) is it likely to be a big (expensive!) job? With two young kids I am worried about safety so will get it seen to asap and we have smoke alarms etc but want to be prepared for cost/disruption before I call anyone. Any advice appreciated!! Thank you 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

KatieN wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me, apologies if this is the wrong forum! We have a 30 year old semi-d house. Recently the upstairs electricals seem faulty. Plugs intermittently stop working, then start again. It seems when we plug something into a socket in one bedroom it affects the sockets in other rooms, some or all of them Stop working, then they start again when we plug something else in or out. Outdoor security light also affected but no other lights are. It's very random in that it can be any socket upstairs that sets it off. Trip switches not affected. Obviously something funny is going on but just wondering a) has anyone heard of this before, b) is it likely to be a big (expensive!) job? With two young kids I am worried about safety so will get it seen to asap and we have smoke alarms etc but want to be prepared for cost/disruption before I call anyone. Any advice appreciated!! Thank you 😊

That's a how long is a piece of string question. It's all going to depend on what the electrician finds. Get an electrician in asap to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It sounds like a loose connection, possibly in the bedroom socket.

If it is there then it will be a quick fix and shouldn't cost much beyond a call out charge.

Loose connections are a fire risk, get it looked at soon.

Well a good place to start would be turning off all the power and unscrewing the suspect socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Loose connection on the rear of one of the sockets. Get an electrician to check it out. You should also plan to have the house rewired and brought up to reg soon too. Just something to think about going forward

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Brightspark hit the nail in the head.
    A loose connection is the most likely cause.
    This should not be ignored as it is a potential fire hazard.

Unless you know what you are doing call an electrician.
    This is most likely cheap and quick to resolve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 KatieN

This is really helpful, thank you all so much, I will organise an electrician asap, good to know the potential risk as that's what I was afraid of. Thank you!

Advertisement