Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Flanders 2017

Options
  • 01-04-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Dunno if anyone is doing a proper fancy thread but the race is getting close so just to put something up for discussion. Preview at CN here:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-of-flanders-2017/preview/

Van Avermaet & Sagan the 2 big favourites, especially as probably more than any other one day race strength has the biggest chance to prevail here with its brutal short cobbled climbs. Sagan of course though with much the weakest team of all the contenders, Sam Bennett not riding this incidentally. QSF with strength in depth, Gilbert in great form & Tom Boonen in his final Flanders.
    Ryan Mullen rides for Cannondale-Drapac. Maybe with mountains of good fortune he can deliver what, am I right in thinking, may be the only really big traditional race missing from the Irish palmares. Though no, I wouldn't be putting much north of a euro on that possibility. Or even much south of one either.

Oh & if someone had a classy thread lined up for this race, I don't particularly care what happens this - whether theirs is added to this, this dumped into the abyss, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not forgetting the women's race either, which is shaping up to be just as exciting and as open as the men's race:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-of-flanders-women-2017/preview/

Time estimates here:

http://www.cyclingstage.com/tour-of-flanders-2017-women/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd agree with your summary Pelevin, favourites clearly Sagan, Van Avermat and one of the Quicksteps due to strength in numbers and talent. I'd be surprised if anyone else wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Outside of mechanicals/crashes, I'd not expect an ouiisder or medium outsider to do it either. Of guys there Kristoff & Degenkolb other years for instance were very much in the mix, though twould be a surprise to see them right there at the end this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Seth Van Marcke could be a outsider.

Gilbert is in great form and as mentioned above Quickstep have an unreal team.

Daniel Oss to have a good performance aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Will they televise the women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Considering his imminent retirement I'd love to see Tom bonnen win tomorrow and next Sunday. Quick step have an exceptionally strong team for RVV

where to watch? Are Eurosport covering ?

where to watch? Are Eurosport covering ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

fat bloke wrote: »
    Will they televise the women?
    last half hour of women's race streaming here i believe: www.flandersclassics.be

On live on ES now. Kelly in commentary, 140kms to go.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nice to see an Irish name in the break....

....alas it's attached to a Scouser:pac:

FFS did they get rid of the eurosport app on samsung TV's :confused:

cancelled my sub at the end of the season last year and definitely remember using it through out the year and just went to resub there and it's vanished from the store on the TV. Going to have to look for my chromecast now

Don't know why Gilbert is riding up at the front of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pelevin wrote: »

He wanted to be at the front for the Muur. And he's in the split that resulted.

Malari wrote: »
    He wanted to be at the front for the Muur. And he's in the split that resulted.

Ok, looked almost like domestique duties though when on the flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

pelevin wrote: »

You know now!

Great to see its all kicked off early
    And no surprise that it's Boonen who is bossing it; himself and Gilbert were tight to the fire on the Muur. I wondering why Sagan was in about 60th place at such a crucial time?

JK.BMC wrote: »
    You know now!

Great to see its all kicked off early
    And no surprise that it's Boonen who is bossing it; himself and Gilbert were tight to the fire on the Muur. I wondering why Sagan was in about 60th place at such a crucial time?

They all said the muur van geraardsbergen was too far from the finish to play a significant part.....

Is Ryan Mullen to the fore in the chasing peleton, he wears that aero helmet yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I love the cooking revolution.

Vanmarcke I've thought before now seemed one of those doomed personalities. If misfortune is about to hit someone, it's probably going to be him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

longshanks wrote: »
    I love the cooking revolution.

I'm dead against it. I like the smell of food when I'm cooking - just one more difference between me and Sagan..

Fabio Felline

'The EYETALIAN rider is towards the front of the pellytone. '

'The Kanarieberg is next- but nobody is singing for this breakaway'

Kelly and Kirby are great on days like this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Tom Boonen just lost his chance. :(

joujoujou wrote: »
    Tom Boonen just lost his chance. :(

Sharp work by his team there with the backups . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

'Gilippe Philbert'... Oh Sean! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sagan down!

What a shame, looked like he was just winding up for a big chase

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm guessing he clipped the barriers bringing the banner down and the jacket was probably resting over the banner. If that is the case it can only be his own fault

• Advertisement

Don't think they can really blame the spectators for that one, looked like it was just a handling mistake.

Advertisement