Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procedure for employing an NI-based person from an Irish based company

Options
  • 01-04-2017 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am the director of an Dublin-based limited company (registered in ROI), working with a small team to provide consultancy services throughout Ireland. I have recently won a couple of big contracts in Northern Ireland, and am considering the best approach to coordinating them, as it will involve regular site-based moderately-skilled work in the north. I could drive across the border myself to carry it out, but I think it would be most effective to employ an NI-based graduate on a part-time basis (i.e. usually 2-3 days per week).

I'm thinking about the best way to organise this - whether to employ them as a part-time staff member, or for them to operate as a sole-trader. If I was to treat them as a PAYE worker then I would need to pay income tax to the UK government, which (I understand) would involve registering with HMRC and establishing some form of legal entity in the UK. Alternatively, I could see whether they would work as a self-employed sub-contractor, in which case they would be responsible for organising their own taxes (I would increase their pay accordingly). However, I do not want to treat them unfairly, as I would hope to build a relationship with them and hopefully provide full time employment in the future.

Is anyone else in the same position, and if so, which option did you take? Advice would be much appreciated.

Advertisement