Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anywhere in the city that sells a decent selection of bike parts?

Options
  • 01-04-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I do most of me bike shopping from Chainreaction, however it's a little bit of a pain having to wait for delivery of parts mid-repair. Tried Halfords but their selection is abysmal, most of the parts are web-exclusive too.

I've looked up a few sites and most bike shops just seem to offer complete bikes or repair services. So just asking if there's anywhere in Dublin with a good selection of components? Looking for a Shimano Altus Canti brake today specifically. Be good craic having a Decathlon!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

The Cycle Superstore have a good stock of components particularly Shimano but TBH I'd be surprised if they would carry an Altus Canti caliper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I couldn't find bb barings for a bmx I'm doing up in any bike shop. They were the sealed press in type so I ended just going to a baring place in Ballyfermot. Very hard to get spares in bricks and mortar places

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rhyso

I couldn't find bb barings for a bmx I'm doing up in any bike shop. They were the sealed press in type so I ended just going to a baring place in Ballyfermot. Very hard to get spares in bricks and mortar places

Innit? Can't just pop out and get whatever you want, always a bit of a pain if not shopping online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, a requirement for those bearings may pop up once a week - at best - over the whole city. if you've maybe 20 bike shops, that means on average that they'd sell maybe two or three sets a year, assuming they're all bought in LBSes. you can't expect them to habitually carry parts like that in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get a second bike. When you are waiting on parts for the broken bike you can cycle the other one.

I don't practice what I preach though. I've got two bikes both in need of repair!

I generally buy from rose bikes in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rhyso wrote: »
    I do most of me bike shopping from Chainreaction....
    Hence the reason why bike shops are reluctant to stock up on much stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Effects wrote: »
    I don't practice what I preach though. I've got two bikes both in need of repair!

Well you know the obvious answer to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

com1 wrote: »
    Well you know the obvious answer to that...

Buy another bike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rhyso wrote: »
    I do most of me bike shopping from Chainreaction, however it's a little bit of a pain having to wait for delivery of parts mid-repair. Tried Halfords but their selection is abysmal, most of the parts are web-exclusive too.

For anything out of the ordinary I've found CRC and Wiggle to be pretty poor too, I'd say a LBS that does a reasonable amount of servicing and repair would be as good. I'd tend to use SJS or Tweeks for small parts.

Advertisement