Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny flats renting

Options
  • 01-04-2017 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

What is the regs in dublin regarding granny flats can they be rented out ? I have seen some property for sale nothing granny flats but is it legal to rent them out ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

What is the regs in dublin regarding granny flats can they be rented out ? I have seen some property for sale nothing granny flats but is it legal to rent them out ?

Usually the planning permission is for a granny only and it can't be let. Banks won't lend for them, as a general rule. the letting of them is often ignored by the planners who do not regard it as a serious crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

4ensic15 wrote: »

Usually the planning permission is for a granny only and it can't be let. Banks won't lend for them, as a general rule. the letting of them is often ignored by the planners who do not regard it as a serious crime.

So Banks defo dont lend for them? That would make the property only buyable by a cash investor. So the house and granny flat could only be bought with cash

A granny flat is essentially an additional room in the house. Once it has planning there is no reason to believe that a bank won't lend for a house that has one anymore than another type of extension. If anything it increases the value of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

So Banks defo dont lend for them? That would make the property only buyable by a cash investor. So the house and granny flat could only be bought with cash

My parents bought a house with a granny flat a couple of years ago.
    It's basically the garage converted to a granny flat. No planning permission.
    The bank (AIB i think) did lend them the money to buy the house.
    They don't rent it, just use it for visitors.
    Though nothing to stop them renting it at all. The next door neighbour rents theirs happily and has been for many years.

I suppose they couldn't ever sell it separately to the house, but i don't think that will ever become an issue.

76544567 wrote: »

My parents bought a house with a granny flat a couple of years ago.
    It's basically the garage converted to a granny flat. No planning permission.
    The bank (AIB i think) did lend them the money to buy the house.
    They don't rent it, just use it for visitors.
    Though nothing to stop them renting it at all. The next door neighbour rents theirs happily and has been for many years.

I suppose they couldn't ever sell it separately to the house, but i don't think that will ever become an issue.

That interesting and with no planning I tought that would be no no for the bank

• Advertisement

That interesting and with no planning I tought that would be no no for the bank

I asked them about that.
    They had gone over it with the solicitor.
    Their solicitor explained to them that it's a house with a garage, not a house with a granny flat, even though there is a granny flat inside the garage. So no issues.

Reminded me of another planning issue someone told me about before too.
    They were selling their house and there was no planning for a huge garage they had built. The buyers wanted the garage but we're worried about the lack of planning. The solicitors got together and said that if the roof was removed it was just 4 walls and no issue at all. So they agreed that the roof would be removed before the sale. Sale went through but the roof was only "virtually" removed. Everyone was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/glasnevin/172-ballymun-road-glasnevin-dublin-1312371/

I suspect this one to be exactly that case.
    Houses in that area go for an awful lot more but this one is sitting on the market for months. I live quite close and pass it every day, I'm very certain that this self-contained flat was a granny flat with no PP and now the person can't sell it.

76544567 wrote: »
    I asked them about that.
    They had gone over it with the solicitor.
    Their solicitor explained to them that it's a house with a garage, not a house with a granny flat, even though there is a granny flat inside the garage. So no issues.

Reminded me of another planning issue someone told me about before too.
    They were selling their house and there was no planning for a huge garage they had built. The buyers wanted the garage but we're worried about the lack of planning. The solicitors got together and said that if the roof was removed it was just 4 walls and no issue at all. So they agreed that the roof would be removed before the sale. Sale went through but the roof was only "virtually" removed. Everyone was happy.

what if in alot of cases its a build onto the side of the house ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The banks take a view on a case by case basis. A buyer with a large deposit resulting a low LTV would have a better chance than an FTB on a high LTV and close to the maximum loan for their income. The original planning may also be loose enough to allow leeway. It is usually better for the seller to take it out before marketing.

what if in alot of cases its a build onto the side of the house ?

I couldn't tell you about that one as I've no experience of it.
    But houses with granny flats change hands all the time. I'd imagine an estate agent would be a good source if you were planning to buy one. They would deal with the situation all the time.
    As would a solicitor.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/glasnevin/172-ballymun-road-glasnevin-dublin-1312371/

I suspect this one to be exactly that case.
    Houses in that area go for an awful lot more but this one is sitting on the market for months. I live quite close and pass it every day, I'm very certain that this self-contained flat was a granny flat with no PP and now the person can't sell it.

Probably not even the granny flat. From the looks of that, everything about both the house and the flat roof granny flat look like that while place is about to fall down or at the very least get condemned . Someone without a clue, has been having a go at diy on that place for many years i bet.

4ensic15 wrote: »

The banks take a view on a case by case basis. A buyer with a large deposit resulting a low LTV would have a better chance than an FTB on a high LTV and close to the maximum loan for their income. The original planning may also be loose enough to allow leeway. It is usually better for the seller to take it out before marketing.

I seen that After 7 years éventuellement with no planning permission. The build is permitted

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Planning is required for a granny flat

The application will generally outline the relatives requirements to live close to home owner etc

Planning permission will typically stipulate that the accommodation must be connected by internal door, and must revert to be part of the main dwelling once it's no longer used by relative

If you rent it - you will be in breach of the planning permission

The '7 year' prosecution time frame does not mean anything is 'permitted'

Edit: Converting a garage to accommodation ancillary to the dwelling, assuming it hasn't been extended previously MAY fall under exempted development under certain standard conditions

BryanF wrote: »

The application will generally outline the relatives requirements to live close to home owner etc

Planning permission will typically stipulate that the accommodation must be connected by internal door, and must revert to be part of the main dwelling once it's no longer used by relative

Is there a means by which permission can be sought to permit renting ? Given the current housing shortage

Is there a means by which permission can be sought to permit renting ? Given the current housing shortage

Apply to the council for permission for a separate dwelling - subject to separate foul /surface sewerage, power, entrance, parking, private open space etc etc

Edit: to answer your direct question, there is nothing I'm aware of in Irish law that allows for this. The planning/building reg/housing standard laws were not conceived with a housing shortage in mind, in fact you could argue increased privatisation of 'building control' by hogan Fine Gael and changes to regs on bedsits by fianna fail have contributed to the housing shortage.

Edit: Converting a garage to accommodation ancillary to the dwelling, assuming it hasn't been extended previously MAY fall under exempted development under certain standard conditions

I can see there being difficulty in planning if renting a granny flat that is seperate to the house itself but I cannot see how planning can stop you renting a granny flat that is part of the main house, which it is if it's connected by a internal door. It's no different to renting a bedroom as it's under the same roof and you can walk freely to and from it internally.

I've seen houses for sale with 2 bed apartments build on but connected internally (and with seperate entrance) and the sales agent heavily promoting the fact it can be rented under the rent a room scheme and achieve x amount per month so I can't see there being a planning issue as it's just an extension of the main house (and sales agents tend to hide planning issues in their ads also).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I saw a house up the street recently which has an own door granny flat attached sell. It was stipulated in the ad that it could not be rented out. I've no idea if there was an internal door, I didn't go nosing :pac:

More to the point has anyone ever been brought to court for this ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The granny flat is an extension to the main dwelling. A bank with mortgage one no problem but you must be buying the house and granny flat as one property. They also must be connected.

More to the point has anyone ever been brought to court for this ?

Haven't seen court proceedings yet, most people comply when they get the warning letter from Planning Enforcement with a breakdown of costs associated against the home owner of the notice is not complied with.

So yes, I see a lot of Enforcement actions, no court as all comply.

• Advertisement

I can see there being difficulty in planning if renting a granny flat that is seperate to the house itself but I cannot see how planning can stop you renting a granny flat that is part of the main house, which it is if it's connected by a internal door. It's no different to renting a bedroom as it's under the same roof and you can walk freely to and from it internally.

I've seen houses for sale with 2 bed apartments build on but connected internally (and with seperate entrance) and the sales agent heavily promoting the fact it can be rented under the rent a room scheme and achieve x amount per month so I can't see there being a planning issue as it's just an extension of the main house (and sales agents tend to hide planning issues in their ads also).

The key word here is 'sales agent'

Buyer beware

Or in this case 'renter' beware

Whether you 'see' an issue or not is irrelevant. Planning law is the law. The house you speak of either has planning for it's use or it does not.

The key word here is 'sales agent'

Buyer beware

Or in this case 'renter' beware

Whether you 'see' an issue or not is irrelevant. Planning law is the law. The house you speak of either has planning for it's use or it does not.

As another poster said they are just extensions to the house, I see no reason planning would even be required to rent the granny flat anymore than a bedroom in the house. After all it's just another room in the house once there is an internal link between them, they can have a seperate entrance too but once there is a door inside it's just renting a room, the fact it has a bathroom and a small kitchen doesn't really matter, it's like some people renting rooms have two living rooms and allow the room renting have one for their use while the home only uses the other.

If you are talking about planning to actually build the extension that houses the granny flat that's a different story though once it's bellow a certain size it's exempt from planning anyway also. If the granny flat was seperate from the main house that would also be different but that's very rare.

If you are talking about planning to actually build the extension that houses the granny flat that's a different story though once it's bellow a certain size it's exempt from planning anyway also. If the granny flat was seperate from the main house that would also be different but that's very rare.

Just to clarify, a "granny flat" is never exempt from planning, no matter what size it is.

A granny flat is a slang term made up for the official classification of these unit "Ancillary Family Accommodation".

It's the kitchen that dictates its use as a "granny flat" most of the time and the sole main threat to the dwelling as a whole (increased risk of fire).

Don't confuse domestic extension exemptions with granny flats and also, if the granny flat is separate from the house, put your radar on full blast as I can guarantee it's not planning compliant.

kceire wrote: »

Just to clarify, a "granny flat" is never exempt from planning, no matter what size it is.

A granny flat is a slang term made up for the official classification of these unit "Ancillary Family Accommodation".

It's the kitchen that dictates its use as a "granny flat" most of the time and the sole main threat to the dwelling as a whole (increased risk of fire).

Don't confuse domestic extension exemptions with granny flats and also, if the granny flat is separate from the house, put your radar on full blast as I can guarantee it's not planning compliant.

Separate as in not touching te main house or builth onto the house ?

There needs to be a door from the main house to the granny flat, essentially it has to be an extension.

There needs to be a door from the main house to the granny flat, essentially it has to be an extension.

If there is not a door is that illegal and un mortgagable then ?

If there's no door then it is not in compliance with the granted planning permission.
    Your survey will pick up on it and your solicitor will instruct the vendors to regulators it by carrying out the works required to comply or apply for retention. Retention won't happen due to costs, time frame and the fact that it will be refused.

If there's an open non planning compliance during the same, then your bank will not release funds for draw down.

Therefore only suitable for cash buyers

No. There are remedies to any sale issue.
    The solicitors will work it out between them.

• Advertisement

As another poster said they are just extensions to the house, I see no reason planning would even be required to rent the granny flat anymore than a bedroom in the house. After all it's just another room in the house once there is an internal link between them, they can have a seperate entrance too but once there is a door inside it's just renting a room, the fact it has a bathroom and a small kitchen doesn't really matter, it's like some people renting rooms have two living rooms and allow the room renting have one for their use while the home only uses the other.

Or they might inhabit that area where there is no planning but it's been there long enough that they can't ask you to knock it down. 6 or 7 years or something like that.
    My own house had a kitchen extension with no planning. It was discovered when we bought it about the lack of planning and the situation explained to us by our solicitor. Bank had no issues. Then when we sold it, same story. The new buyer was aware of the lack of planning and it caused no issues.

Advertisement