Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car

Options
  • 01-04-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi
    Any recommendations?
    House with parking sorted 3k from ottawa city centre so not gonna be too snowed in I hope but do want something safe and ok fro the dog and a trip to tremblant every couple weeks.
    Kijiji seems to be equivalent to done deal.
    Do they have an NCT or equivalent? I gather insurance is expensive but there's no road tax like we have so can get a bigger engine...
    Help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Hi OP,

By the looks of it you pay a registration fee to re register a car when you purchase it, and this fee includes your motor tax. I'm not sure if different size engines are more expensive to register or not.

Another point I came across is that if you by from a private seller you have to organise all this yourself whereas dealers will handle this aspect for you. Something to bear in mind when looking at the cost etc.

I would say if you're gonna have a dog in the car look for a SUV or an Estate.

The insurance is classed differently to insurance in Ireland, they seam to offer third party, collision cover, and then comprehensive. The main difference is collision cover gives you cover for your own vehicle in a crash, but it is not fully comprehensive.

Insurance is meant to be very expensive, even more so then insurance in Ireland so definitely make sure you have your declarations from your previous insurance stating you no claims and period of coverage. Hopefully it helps to reduce the cost.

Advertisement