Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Light with shaving Socket RCD

Options
  • 01-04-2017 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am visiting family in cyprus and they have asked me if I could bring out a bathroom light with shaving 2 pin socket for charging electric toothbrushes. They said they cant be got over there at all. I got them to send a picture of their distribution board just to have some Idea of the set up. Voltage and Frequency is the same as here so no issue there. However one thing I found surprising is from what I can see there is no form of RCD protection on any circuits. Also the socket circuits are 16a MCBs and lighting 6a MCBs. See picture of board attached.

So my question is I am kind of now thinking there is a reason why they don't sell these wall lights with shaving sockets over there. Do they generally require RCD protection (I would of thought they do) in other words would it be dangerous to have one over there on that set up as if it is I am obviously not going to bring one over.

On a side note the double pole type main switch looked unusual to me do that just have a live and neutral feed / output is it.

IMG_0186%20copy_zpsunteibmy.jpg
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What surprises me most is that the MCBs are all type D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

2011 wrote: »
    What surprises me most is that the MCBs are all type D.

I noticed that alright too as opposed to the mainly b type you get in houses here. That means the MCB would be very slow to trip with current overload or rather would have to be well overloaded to trip ye ?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

dolittle wrote: »

Thanks for that. The house is only about 10 years old too. My parents have a house out there slightly younger so I must look at the board when I am over there to see is it any better.

Advertisement