Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the? Thread looking to discuss moderators is deleted?

Options
  • 01-04-2017 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

An interesting thread started a few minutes ago... I think from Max737 that asked about moderators on boards... I thought it was an interesting opening and took the time to write the below post... just before I submitted, I thought "surely this post won't be deleted straight away by the mods, but just in case I'll copy my text"... I hit submit and got a message that the thread no longer exists! I wonder if this one will be deleted as well?

The 3% measure is an interesting starting point... now to try and establish some credibility, when I'm not giving out about unions and cyclists on boards, I am quite senior in my profession and one of expert areas is regulation and compliance... you'll just have to believe me!

Now, having a supervisor / regulator that is removed or separated from the domain they are policing is a basic and important principle... look at how chummy things were between banks and the financial regulator and where that ended up.

Next if you are a supervisor / regulator, you have to be really careful about any statement you make... you are making policy when you speak...

Lastly, you have to be professional and assertive...

So when a moderator makes any post in a forum and thus takes some position, then they are breaching these simple principles...

A simple answer may be that you can no longer post where you moderate...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You mean this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Nody wrote: »
    You mean this thread?

Try posting in it... even try posting the word test... you'll get an error message...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Try posting in it... even try posting the word test... you'll get an error message...

Fairly sure posts have always been moderated in that forum due to the nature of its purpose and setup...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nope; I get the message my post is premoderated (and the rest of the spiel) as it always has been in that forum which would point towards a problem at your end I'm afraid or possible could be connected with the post below.

Sully wrote: »
    Fairly sure posts have always been moderated in that forum due to the nature of its purpose and setup...

Right... let's see if my post comes up... I guess then my feedback is that it should display a message like "your post is being reviewed" and not the attached which is what I am seeing...

• Advertisement

Nope; I get the message my post is premoderated (and the rest of the spiel) as it always has been in that forum which would point towards a problem at your end I'm afraid or possible could be connected with the post below.

PreModerated? Like yours goes straight in without a message or you get a message saying it is to be reviewed?

Right... let's see if my post comes up... I guess then my feedback is that it should display a message like "your post is being reviewed" and not the attached which is what I am seeing...
    It does as per attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Yeah, it says that till one of the admins approves your post.

It does as per attached.

Right, I'm seeing the attached

Right, I'm seeing the attached
    I think, but could be wrong, that the touch site is no longer supported. I think they are down to the normal + the mobile version or it's normal + touch I can't recall (or only normal). I always use the full site even on a mobile so I can't help on that but it'd guess it's the touch version of the site that's the issue either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Help Desk is pre-moderated. With the exception of the OP, a mod needs to approve posts before they appear.

Help Desk is pre-moderated. With the exception of the OP, a mod needs to approve posts before they appear.

So why am I getting the attached error?

So why am I getting the attached error?

Because you're trying to view a post that isn't available to you.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Because you're trying to view a post that isn't available to you.

So why don't I get an "access denied" error instead of a "page not found" error

BTW I have a ComSci degree so I do know a thing or two about systems failing gracefully... and I ain't seeing that here!

So why don't I get an "access denied" error instead of a "page not found" error

BTW I have a ComSci degree so I do know a thing or two about systems failing gracefully... and I ain't seeing that here!

It's not a failing, it's just how it's always been coded.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    It's not a failing, it's just how it's always been coded.

Way back when I wrote code we would never have a denied access to a resource come up with an error like that... I'm getting the feeling that whatever I saw here is going to be shot down :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think, but could be wrong, that the touch site is no longer supported. I think they are down to the normal + the mobile version or it's normal + touch I can't recall (or only normal). I always use the full site even on a mobile so I can't help on that but it'd guess it's the touch version of the site that's the issue either way.

I'm posting this from the touch site.

I'm posting this from the touch site.
    Posting from it does not mean it's supported; it's the same with several older skins that still work but have certain issues with for example the menu layout not being shown properly.

Anyway OP I think your original question has been answered; should we request to move the discussion to the development section instead to discuss the specific technical issue at hand?

Posting from it does not mean it's supported; it's the same with several older skins that still work but have certain issues with for example the menu layout not being shown properly.

Anyway OP I think your original question has been answered; should we request to move the discussion to the development section instead to discuss the specific technical issue at hand?

Whatever keeps you guys happy... I doubt anyone so far has really cared or welcomed my input...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've posted about your issue in the Office thread in the admin forum so they'll see it when they're back in on Monday.

• Advertisement

Whatever keeps you guys happy... I doubt anyone so far has really cared or welcomed my input...

And the original thread already shut to new comments before anyone could reply to the final comments... I once helped design and build a very big financial supervision framework... we allowed institutions an opportunity to respond before a final set of findings were issued... I'd suggest you consider this and perhaps pass it onto Zapp or whatever was the name of the person who shut the thread down...

Btw... I really do this stuff for a living but on a vastly bigger setting!!!

pass it onto Zapp or whatever was the name of the person who shut the thread down...

I posted immediately before you on this thread and you can't even get my name right? I'm disappointed. :(

What's that got to do with anything? Boards isn't a big company with reams of procedures to be followed, it's a community based discussion site that's essentially run by volunteers. We don't have a compliance department or regulators to satisfy, just a bunch of posters looking to have a chat about stuff. I explained on the Help Desk thread why your suggestion was unworkable here, and it's something we have explained many times to many people. You're not the first to suggest it and I doubt you'll be the last, and there's little point in us having to repeat ourselves ad infinitum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So what? I'm sure you're not the only one with experience in this area. "Vastly bigger setting" of course requires a very different control process. That's not appropriate for a site like Boards which is more a community than a business (I'm sure the owners would love to make a profit, but they allow the site to continue on the back of volunteers who it would be completely inappropriate to regulate in the way you seem to be suggesting)

I get it... I won't bother you again... I think that's the message here... would you ban me for a day while you at it just to give the full boards experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

How do the owners pay for the domain etc ?

Beasty wrote: »
    So what? I'm sure you're not the only one with experience in this area. "Vastly bigger setting" of course requires a very different control process. That's not appropriate for a site like Boards which is more a community than a business (I'm sure the owners would love to make a profit, but they allow the site to continue on the back of volunteers who it would be completely inappropriate to regulate in the way you seem to be suggesting)

Just trying to give some advice and establish my bona fides on the way... sorry that this offends you...

I get it... I won't bother you again... I think that's the message here... would you ban me for a day while you at it just to give the full boards experience

Not unless you did something to warrant it. Sorry to disappoint you.
    liam7831 wrote: »
    How do the owners pay for the domain etc ?

No idea, that's something you'd have to ask them. However given that they have a number of other successful businesses, I'd imagine there's an element of Boards being subsidised by the profits being made elsewhere.

Zaph wrote: »
    Not unless you did something to warrant it. Sorry to disappoint you.

I could try but it would spoil the evening...

I could try but it would spoil the evening...

For me too, I don't like banning people unless they actually deserve it.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    For me too, I don't like banning people unless they actually deserve it.

Thank you... you stay safe now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement