Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the? Thread looking to discuss moderators is deleted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Zaph wrote: »
    Not unless you did something to warrant it. Sorry to disappoint you.

No idea, that's something you'd have to ask them. However given that they have a number of other successful businesses, I'd imagine there's an element of Boards being subsidised by the profits being made elsewhere.

Hmmm I don't buy that, what happens to the advertising revenue? At this rate the boards owners look to be in line for sainthood

So why don't I get an "access denied" error instead of a "page not found" error

BTW I have a ComSci degree so I do know a thing or two about systems failing gracefully... and I ain't seeing that here!

Congrats...?

liam7831 wrote: »
    How do the owners pay for the domain etc ?

Domains aren't that expensive.. At least not as much as you'd think. If someone were to buy the boards.ie domain, then it would be more expensive. What would cost the most is servers/hosting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Congrats...?

Sorry also for offending you... I know us elitist educated and experienced people are evil... would it make you feel better if I had no experience or education but told you want you want to hear?

On second thoughts I am not sorry, I am proud of my knowledge and experience... if yours is the same then congratulations to you as well, I think you should celebrate it. If not then try and learn... it's what I do when I realise I am the dumbest person in the room... I start with "why am I here" and then I try to learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Well I'm not happy. I asked a question. Took care to frame it so as it wasn't directed against any particular person and the Admin neither answered the question nor allowed anyone else to answer it by closing the thread...and then to top it off as a parting shot insinuated that I as the OP might be a malcontent.

Well yeah, that whistleblower; you know the problem with him...

"We're happy with the current procedure" is an answer worthy of a Central Bank Regulator or Minister of Finance in the days before the IMF roll in to town. That didn't answer the question but does speak volumes about how the operators of the forum treat those who question the impartiality of certain parts of the forum.

I'm logging off for now.

• Advertisement

737max wrote: »
    Well I'm not happy. I asked a question. Took care to frame it so as it wasn't directed against any particular person and the Admin neither answered the question nor allowed anyone else to answer it by closing the thread...and then to top it off as a parting shot insinuated that I as the OP might be a malcontent.

Well yeah, that whistleblower; you know the problem with him...

"We're happy with the current procedure" is an answer worthy of a Central Bank Regulator or Minister of Finance in the days before the IMF roll in to town. That didn't answer the question but does speak volumes about how the operators of the forum treat those who question the impartiality of certain parts of the forum.

I'm logging off for now.

Hear hear!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

liam7831 wrote: »
    Hmmm I don't buy that, what happens to the advertising revenue? At this rate the boards owners look to be in line for sainthood

As I said, you'd have to ask them. The financial dealings of the company aren't something that the admins, as volunteers, are given any particular insight into. All I know is that Boards itself has never made a profit, but that's pretty much common knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

As I said, you'd have to ask them. The financial dealings of the company aren't something that the admins, as volunteers, are given any particular insight into. All I know is that Boards itself has never made a profit, but that's pretty much common knowledge.

Never made a profit so the advertising on the site goes to charity?

Sorry also for offending you... I know us elitist educated and experienced people are evil... would it make you feel better if I had no experience or education but told you want you want to hear?

On second thoughts I am not sorry, I am proud of my knowledge and experience... if yours is the same then congratulations to you as well, I think you should celebrate it. If not then try and learn... it's what I do when I realise I am the dumbest person in the room... I start with "why am I here" and then I try to learn

Huh. I mean you've no idea how many degrees I have. In fact.. It might be more than you do. But, unlike you, I don't bring them up places it means nothing and is irrelevant to the topic at hand..

Ironically you're probably the dumbest in the room right now.

Never made a profit so the advertising on the site goes to charity?

Not entirely sure how you make that particular leap of logic. There are staff in the office to be paid, rent, electricity, etc. If the company doesn't make a profit then clearly the advertising revenue doesn't fully cover these costs.

• Advertisement

Huh. I mean you've no idea how many degrees I have. In fact.. It might be more than you do. But, unlike you, I don't bring them up places it means nothing and is irrelevant to the topic at hand..

Fair enough... again the agreesive tone to me hear speaks volumes... btw how many degrees do you have?

Fair enough... again the agreesive tone to me hear speaks volumes... btw how many degrees do you have?

Where did you hear an agreesive tone? I mean .. I'm not agreeing with you. Is that what you meant?

Let's try to keep things civil please.

Where did you hear an agreesive tone? I mean .. I'm not agreeing with you. Is that what you meant?

You called me the dumbest guy in the room... that's just rude.

Let's try to keep things civil please.

Thank you

You called me the dumbest guy in the room... that's just rude.

I mean.. You're spending a lot of time and effort on a site you clearly dislike. Talking about how many degrees you have..

But Zaph's right. Civil it is.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have two cats.

Therefore I know all about how loooonnnngggg cats can be.

I can use this knowledge to make disparaging remarks about how others run their affairs.

I mean.. You're spending a lot of time and effort on a site you clearly dislike. Talking about how many degrees you have..

But Zaph's right. Civil it is.

I don't like a lot of things, but I work hard with them to make them work better... and again you with the degrees... this seems to be a sore point for you so I'll stop talking about it.

Civil is good, tell you what, you apologise and I will be happy to accept your apology. Fair enough?

I have two cats.

I can use this knowledge to make disparaging remarks about how others run their affairs.

Quote: CINCLANTFLT

On second thoughts I am not sorry, I am proud of my knowledge and experience... if yours is the same then congratulations to you as well, I think you should celebrate it. If not then try and learn...

I have two cats.

Also... are you a moderator?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I have two cats.

Oh dear god, don't wake Overheal.

Not entirely sure how you make that particular leap of logic. There are staff in the office to be paid, rent, electricity, etc. If the company doesn't make a profit then clearly the advertising revenue doesn't fully cover these costs.

What do you mean profit because dictionary tells that profit means financial gain. So by saying that Boards do not make a profit means that it makes no money at all. Financial gain is any money earned. If it is losing money then why it even exists? Surely the point of a business is to make profit not the other way around.

What do you mean profit because dictionary tells that profit means financial gain. So by saying that Boards do not make a profit means that it makes no money at all. Financial gain is any money earned. If it is losing money then why it even exists? Surely the point of a business is to make profit not the other way around.

Oh Lordy, don't go there... go back and look up revenue, costs and profit... have a look at cash flow while you are there...

Now granted, a firm can make a lot of revenue and have a lot of costs including good wages, entertainment and such, which if the costs equal or exceed the revenue will result in no profit...

Remember revenue - costs = profits... we'll leave taxes out of it for now!

Oh Lordy, don't go there... go back and look up revenue, costs and profit... have a look at cash flow while you are there...

Now granted, a firm can make a lot of revenue and have a lot of costs including good wages, entertainment and such, which if the costs equal or exceed the revenue will result in no profit...

Remember revenue - costs = profits... we'll leave taxes out of it for now!

Absolutely, I completely agree. I smell dishonesty in the air, the aroma is fascinating. Ahhh that smell mmmmm :)

Absolutely, I completely agree. I smell dishonesty in the air, the aroma is fascinating. Ahhh that smell mmmmm :)

Don't worry, not being rude... just look at that equation... make the costs high enough and no profit!!!

Also... are you a moderator?

It appears that you are... so this kind of post is acceptable from a mod on this site... tone from the top ain't looking too good lads... and in case this needs to be explained to ye:
    https://youtu.be/vfKaeip7sY4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It appears that you are... so this kind of post is acceptable from a mod on this site... tone from the top ain't looking too good lads... and in case this needs to be explained to ye:
    https://youtu.be/vfKaeip7sY4

You do know that boards is a privately owned and operated site and their operating expenses are none of anyone's business.

You don't have a right to post here, you have permission.

Bear that in mind when you continue to avail of the free platform of discussion this site offers. :)

Steve wrote: »
    You do know that boards is a privately owned and operated site and their operating expenses are none of anyone's business.

Bear that in mind when you continue to avail of the free platform of discussion this site offers. :)

And you are a moderator as well? Does the smiley face make this any better? This is very poor tone... I don't think you get what this means, but it appears that any input from me is swarmed on by mods and belittled or threats are made.... your mention of permission is such a threat and evidence of poor tone and ethics

True Korea is Best Korea
    If nobody questioned anything then Ireland would still be ruled by Catholic Church. There is a reason for questioning and it works out very well. Just like before democracy, people were questioning the Kings and Queens rights and protested against it as a result we have democracy. So don't you go around telling people about who's business is what.

• Advertisement

And I was not the one questioning the expenses... that came from elsewhere... but now that you mention it I might start to look into that come Monday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement