Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vrt japan/uk reg dates are different

Options
  • 02-04-2017 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

im in the process of buying a mk1 mr2, its (c363 srb) 1985! but on the v5 it says first registered in 1998, which is when it was brought to the uk, now my question is will i still get my vrt at 200E or will they take it that its 1998? or will they take into consideration the mot checker shows up that it was FIRST USED IN 1985. really need to get this cleared up before i hand over my euros, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Similar thing happened a boardsie with a Supra. Had an awful time getting it sorted.
    Does it have an R or S uk reg number?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99190129

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gavan134

c reg 1985 be interested to find out more

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You're in a better position.

What dates are in field B and B1 on the V5?

The fact that it's a C reg suggests it's registered correctly.

that's what I tought!! no both b and b1 say that its November 1998, but if you put the reg c363srb into the mot checker it says first used in 1985 which is a positive for me just wanted some that had gone threw this before that link was an interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

I had similar problems in the past importing cars that only had the date of first registration in the country where it was imported from on the documentation and you always have to assume, the guys in the VRT office, and now the NCT centres are usually pen pushers, that just look at what is stated on the papers in front of them and they haven't a clue about general manufacturing dates etc. So therefore it is up to you, to "prove" or at least illustrate beyond a doubt that the car was manufactured a lot earlier. Internet is your friend here, and I would suggest to collect as much data as possible to show that the car could not be a 1998 manufactured car beyond any doubt.

I did have some narrow escapes whereby the car was imported only a couple of years later, and it would have fallen outside the VRT exemption limit (at the time, 200 euro's now) but by showing them all the info available, ranges of chassis numbers etc, I was able to convince them that the date of manufacture could have only been earlier. However, this was in the days that you had to visit the VRT office and not the NCT stations, so attitude could be different nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Not sure how valid this is, but learned a little trick a few years ago - the seatbelts on older cars used to have a tag on them with their manufactured date, if its still there you may be able to use it as proof. However these aren't always present in all cars, but might give you a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Spark plug leads on JDM cars also have date of manufacture as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Your C reg may have been first used in 1985 but I doubt it was on a MR2, correct me if im wrong, but you can buy reg numbers over in the UK and have them assigned to any vehicle. So a brand new Porsche could have that reg or a 1979 Honda 50 if that was your choice. And if thats the case then the revenue on this side wont pay any attention to the UK reg no. Look at MR2 owner groups online or Toyota possibly for a list of chassis numbers and manufacturing dates. Get as much information as you can to support your case. Just remember, just because you say its a 1985 doesent mean they will believe you, but if you have written proof they are more likely to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the 79 honda couldn't have a Creg as you can't use a number newer than the vehicle.

Correct I have seen that on the government website

• Advertisement
Advertisement