Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPS 30 frames, 60 frames and so forth

Options
  • 02-04-2017 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Right so I hold my hand up as novice and I do hear these terms thrown around a lot. Can anybody explain, in simple terms what the mean. If something plays at 90FPS but dips to 25 how does one know this has happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Right so I hold my hand up as novice and I do hear these terms thrown around a lot. Can anybody explain, in simple terms what the mean. If something plays at 90FPS but dips to 25 how does one know this has happened?

You can see it when the screen gets busy. The game no longer runs smoothly and feels like its stuttering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll feel it in the controls, they will get laggy and less responsive. Also the game will get stutter and you'll usually see screen tearing where the last frame didn't have enough time to be drawn on screen so is displayed as a half loaded frame:

21-11-2013-00-39-32-9e37.png

If you want to know more, digital foundry's articles on game performance are the best in the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Ok thanks. That explains it very well. I used to just call i lagging. Noticed it very recently on RE Revelations 2 on the 360. Got so frustrated I ended up rage quitting and haven't gone back to it.

Advertisement