Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptopsdirect - Advice on new laptop

• 02-04-2017 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Have to change my laptop and came across this one:

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-250-core-i7-8gb-256gb-ssd-windows-10-laptop-x0q77es/version.asp

I will be using it for work so wanted to try and future proof it slightly.

It seems a very decent price for a laptop with an SSD, an I7 processor and 8gb Ram....

Is it too good to be true or am I missing something obvious??

Is laptopsdirect a reliable source?

I'm happy to pay the €57 extra for additional warranty...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

This would appear to be the same laptop from elara:

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=WCEX0Q13EAABU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You would be getting off getting a proper full featured i5 or i7 mobile processor if its raw power you want for longevity - that's a ULV i7, barely any different to a ULV i5.

ULV processors are also much slower than a proper mobile i5 and the i7-6500U is yards behind a proper i7 mobile.

There is nothing wrong with ULV's all that said, but people often get i7 ULV's thinking "wow, an i7 for this price!" when in reality it's a low power, low performance part relatively speaking (still perfect for all the normal day to day stuff and would be for years)

i7 and i5 ULV - Dual Core, lower clocks.
    i7 and i5 HQ - Quad Core, more cache, higher clocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

hjr wrote: »
    Hi there,

Have to change my laptop and came across this one:

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-250-core-i7-8gb-256gb-ssd-windows-10-laptop-x0q77es/version.asp

I will be using it for work so wanted to try and future proof it slightly.

It seems a very decent price for a laptop with an SSD, an I7 processor and 8gb Ram....

Is it too good to be true or am I missing something obvious??

Is laptopsdirect a reliable source?

I'm happy to pay the €57 extra for additional warranty...

Thanks in advance!

I've ordered from LaptopsDirect twice on behalf of family members. To be honest I've found them to be fantastic in terms of price and delivery was 2-3 days.
    You would be getting off getting a proper full featured i5 or i7 mobile processor if its raw power you want for longevity - that's a ULV i7, barely any different to a ULV i5.

ULV processors are also much slower than a proper mobile i5 and the i7-6500U is yards behind a proper i7 mobile.

There is nothing wrong with ULV's all that said, but people often get i7 ULV's thinking "wow, an i7 for this price!" when in reality it's a low power, low performance part relatively speaking (still perfect for all the normal day to day stuff and would be for years)

I thought the Laptop the OP selected looked great for price and am tempted myself. You seem to know your stuff....what would you go for yourself for the €600 mark for the OP's requirements as I would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

I took a leap of faith and went ahead and ordered it. Should arrive on Friday so we'll see how it is. It'll mainly be used for spreadsheets and some payroll/accounting programs and web browsing, so hopefully I've future proofed slightly based on this.

My last laptop was a HP 620 and I've had it for about 7 years so it owes me nothing! It slowed to an absolute crawl over the last few weeks. Ran malware scanner, cc cleaner, cleared temp data, disc cleanup, etc and no joy. I guess its just had its day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Happily running a 3337U when on the road, its ULV sure but still manages a few VMs much better than an A10 ;)

The only thing that machine leaves wanting really in my eyes is .11AC. Its becoming mainstream now but will only slow you down on big downloads if you have a fast internet connection >100Mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

I got sucked into this exact problem when buying a Dell Inspiron 5000 i7 last year - I am not impressed by the speed at all and recently upgraded with a 256GB SSD - I am still dubious about the speed of it even after the upgrade. I'm thinking even with the new SSD I should be getting faster load speeds etc..

Is there anything else I can do to speed this thing up? It feels as if there is a bottleneck in the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vidapura

Anyone had any recent experience of laptopsdirect.ie?

How are they faring with Brexit?

I am having great delivery times from Amazon Uk (2 days?? wow) but not so good from other UK based crowds that use a .ie domain.

Screwfix.ie messed me around for two weeks before eventually cancelling and refunding.

Now I would like to order something off laptopsdirect.ie .. but wondering if it will break my heart or not..

Advertisement