Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROI kit to be made by New balance from August

• 02-04-2017 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭

Just read on indo that Umbro deal making Republic of Ireland kit to cease in August.

New Balance new kit maker.

I'm glad Umbro are gone.

Some New Balance kits are nice......they go a bit mad with the 2nd kit but in international football it's rarely worn.

Puma would have made a gorgeous kit. Kappa also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They should have been more patriotic and given the deal to O'Neills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

CX+ Sport are better than O'Neills at football kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Nike would have been better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm glad Umbro are gone as well. I can't stand that crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

New Balance make nice stuff, but its a shame that they won't give it to an Irish company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Umaro wrote: »
    New Balance make nice stuff, but its a shame that they won't give it to an Irish company.

Give it? They get paid to allow the companies to make it, highest bidder wins.

sugarman wrote: »
    Ah come on now, same boring template for every single international team every year. Absoutely no originality and a good deal more expensive than umbro.

I like Umbro, at least they do original templates and put some effort into their individual clients. Our current kit is one of the nicest ever and no other team has the same template.

The kit is very nice.I was considering buying a jersey until I saw you couldn't get one without the 3 logo on it which is ridiculous as the sponsors logo isn't on the kit the players wear on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Umbro / New Balance, same holding company here in Ireland (Toplion) so no real change.

Actually there is a fairly significant change. I imagine most people here would be more concerned about the style and brand of the kits rather than the holding company like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Do you really think that I meant 'give' that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

sorry to be that guy, but is there a link to this ?

I thought Umbro had a contract until 2020 or something

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »

o'neills will never get that contract again. they dont have the clout of the big international brands. That said though, they have enough of a monopoly with the GAA kits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Also the current kit was only released just before Euro 2016, so less than a year old

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The kit is very nice.I was considering buying a jersey until I saw you couldn't get one without the 3 logo on it which is ridiculous as the sponsors logo isn't on the kit the players wear on the field.

That's been the way since 1988 or so.

I hate new balance jerseys.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

o'neills will never get that contract again. they dont have the clout of the big international brands. That said though, they have enough of a monopoly with the GAA kits

GAA and DR Congo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have fai umbro gear I've bought myself, gear I've gotten from doing work with the fai and gear I've got for doing the uefa b and the quality in them is excellent. I've always thought that the umbro gear was lovely.

Edit: I've literally just found a hole in the pocket of my uefa b trousers that are only 6 months old. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Also the current kit was only released just before Euro 2016, so less than a year old

They change the home jersey every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any plans to exclude that horrid corporate sponsor from the front as part of the deal?

Actually quite like some of the Umbro tops, usually quite unique compared to all the Nikes, Addidas, etc. Tempted to buy one of the Retro Styled tops by Umbro, before they stop making them, if this really is the case.

dan1895 wrote: »
    GAA and DR Congo.

I'd forgotten about the Congo, and Wycombe too? Still though I'd imagine the big brands would blow O'Neills out of the water in the bidding process for a contract like Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Umbro are good, for some reason just cant quite imagine an ireland shirt with NB, it just would look.....weird i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Will almost certainly still have a corporate logo on the replicas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The only thing I can find on this New Balance deal is conjecture from the Irish Mail.

I like the current kit anyway.

POKERKING wrote: »
    Umbro are good, for some reason just cant quite imagine an ireland shirt with NB, it just would look.....weird i guess.

Our olympics team kit was made by New Balance. Hmm John Delaney on the Olympic committee and head of the FAI.....Someone being looked after? :pac:

On a serious note though i understand our contract is with toplion (or their subsidiary JACC) and not directly with Umbro so Toplion would have that bit of freedom to kit us in any one on their roster.

Someone could still be adding two and two and coming up with five here but there is never smoke without fire in these scenarios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When will we see a mockup of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mikeym wrote: »
    Nike would have been better.

Nike basically only do templates now - there wouldn't be the sustained volume even from the national side to get a custom design. So if you want the lads wearing the same kit as some Sunday League side, sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nike sponsor England, and look how horrible their jerseys are

No thanks

Nike sponsor England, and look how horrible their jerseys are

No thanks

Nike kits of late are disgraceful. Talk about lazy. When you see such blandness its a sign that they are considering getting out of football. They just dont seem to be bothered. Adidas arent much better for all the waxing lyrical about them.

Addidas jerseys are generally good.There Bayern Munich one this season is class.

Also they created 2 of my all time favourites the Argentina Jersey from the early 00's with the crest that chafed the **** out of your left nipple (the only downside to it) and the Spain jersey from the early 00's.

s-l225.jpg

499621_88c31044-1f7c-11e5-a493-24ba49bc7260.jpg

Addidas jerseys are generally good.There Bayern Munich one this season is class.

Adidas have produced some top drawer kits in recent years of that there is no doubt but the template kits that the likes of Forest and Cardiff, etc have been landed with recently are fairly rubbish.

Their best era for me was the mid 80s up to the beginning of the adidas equipment era with Liverpool in 1991 when they had the trefoil badge.

They had the odd cracker after that namely France in 1998 and the 2002 world cup template.

The side stripes on the current outfits are a change from the norm tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Also they created 2 of my all time favourites the Argentina Jersey from the early 00's with the crest that chafed the **** out of your left nipple (the only downside to it) and the Spain jersey from the early 00's.

Serves you right for wearing another country's shirt :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

This deal just for the male senior team?
    Maybe the ladies could put in an order while the sheet is on the desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aren't O'Neills only half Irish? Based in NI (UK) no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aren't O'Neills only half Irish? Based in NI (UK) no?

No

100% Irish.
    That's how they describe themselves.

They have an office in NI which does not mean they're a british company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

murpho999 wrote: »
    No

100% Irish.
    That's how they describe themselves.

They have an office in NI which does not mean they're a british company.

100% Irish to me means they wouldn't wouldn't have extensive manufacturing facilities in U.K., that's just me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Balls.ie have made mockups of Ireland shirts had different kit suppliers won the rights. The Adidas ones in particular are beautiful!

ADI1.jpg

ADI2.jpg

NIKE.jpg

PUMA.jpg

UA.jpg

JOMA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lot of those are nice, but you have to remember that if you wanted to buy them they would also have a massive '3' plastered on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd pay a tenner extra premium for a jersey not to have the bloody 3 logo on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd pay a tenner extra premium for a jersey not to have the bloody 3 logo on it.

I've got a lovely maroon and cream Ireland goalkeeper jersey with no sponsor on it that I got for a tenner at the Gaynor Cup. The Kennedy and Gaynor cups do have discounted gear for sale at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That mickey mouse crest is as bad as the three logo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Theyre really not. Generic template A and generic template B.

Adidas make the best gear

Umbro second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

New Balance is one of those companies I associate with having runners in Dunnes. I don't know if they did or not, but that's how I remember them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They do in their hoop. As i said on the first page, they make 1 or 2 generic templates a season and dish it out to everyone. They were great back in the day when they done unique individual efforts, especially for us.. but they're just lazy.

I'd have Umbro, Puma and even the likes of Joma ahead of them and Nike.

Yep, when people think about Adidas making great shirts, they tend to think of their 80s stuff. The old trefoil logo, pin stripes, uninterrupted three stripes on the sleeves....

Far and away the best shirts ever made and it's why they tend to be the most expensive on sites like Classic Football Shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Will it still be the only international jersey on the market that you can't buy without an ugly corporate logo splashed across the centre of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres still nothing to suggest that Umbro will be dropped as kit supplier, so while some of those designs are nice (some look like Northern Ireland kits) its pie in the sky stuff at the moment.

Advertisement