Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once more unto the breach...

Options
  • 02-04-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭

Got Destiny again on Friday and figure I'm probably going to have a good few questions so said I'd start a thread for tips and questions, and also general impressions having not played it in about 2.5 years.

I've levelled my old Warlock to Lvl40 and did a few of the low level missions again to get used to the controls etc again. I also updated armour/weapons (got a bunch free so I imagine they come as part of the level boost).

I did the first mission of the Dark Below (it seemed to be the lowest level of the DLC so presumed it was the first), but because I hadn't accepted the mission from the one in the tower, had to redo it.

Finished that run of missions (bar the raid) and have started the Taken King. Only did the first mission of it but it was far better than anything I remember from playing Destiny originally. It had cutscenes with characters, set up the story of the DLC well, established an enemy, and the characters had personality. The enemies too were interesting and look great, and the mission had a proper sense of urgency and panic.

Questions so far:
    I did the Crota missions, but how do you get Crota marks or Crota banes or whatever they're called to buy stuff from the one who gives the missions? Is it just from the end raid, in which case, how much do you have to do it?

What should I be doing to get better armour and weapons? I've picked up bits and pieces but they don't seem much better or worse than what I have anyway. Again, is it mostly tied in to raids?

What's the best way to get legendary marks?

I've just been going with the warlock subclass that has the nova bomb. I think I did put some experience into the second subclass you get before I quit the game previously, however, I thought there were supposed to be a 3rd subclass released for each class? Either way, which is best for predominantly solo play?

Anyway, game play still feels great. Took a while to get used to the controls again (keep using the touch pad to try go to the inventory). Main complaint so far is dying during a mission and respawning minus the ammo, grenade, supercharge you'd used in your last try. That's quare annoying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Penn wrote: »
    What should I be doing to get better armour and weapons? I've picked up bits and pieces but they don't seem much better or worse than what I have anyway. Again, is it mostly tied in to raids?

Just keep playing the Quests in the order they come with regarding the Recomended Light Level. Whenever you decrypt an Engram, max sure you are at Max Light, so it rolls higher
    What's the best way to get legendary marks?

The stuff in the bottom left of the director/map/select screen usually. But it's high light level
    I've just been going with the warlock subclass that has the nova bomb. I think I did put some experience into the second subclass you get before I quit the game previously, however, I thought there were supposed to be a 3rd subclass released for each class? Either way, which is best for predominantly solo play

3rd class is unlocked about 60% of the way through the Taken King content

You can get to LL390 without ever raiding or PvPing, maybe higher if you do NFs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Faction Packages go up to 400 atm i think,not sure weather thats a permanent change or just for Ages of Triumph. The grind for light level has definitely got easier since AoT. Personally i like the changes,i can understand why some might think its got too easy but at the same time it means its not going to be an age before people can join with groups doing end game activities and theres no major grind fatigue when they get to max LL either so can enjoy the harder stuff a bit more. Just my 2 cents

Been playing a hunter the last while levelling up naturally,not using any gear from higher level toons,just hit 389 last night. And the factions have been a major help there,get you over the sticky parts of levelling light.

Also once you hit 320 or there abouts you should be able to do most of the weekly strike bounties from zavala in the tower,they also drop gear all the way to 400. Strike loot chests also drop gear up to 400. Archon Forge once you start RoI also drops ghosts,artifacts and class items all the way to 400.

Thats all i can think of right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Three of coins for exotics
    Best solo class for Warlock is probably Sunsinger as it gives you an extra life. Void walker is the most fun (nothing manacles) and Stormbringer is just pvp heaven. It's difficult to actually go negative with the storm dude in pvp mayhem.
    You'll get crota marks for doing that event thing in the Dreadnought, probably difficult to get people playing it at this point. I wouldn't be too bothered she doesn't sell any great gear.
    Exotic Swords are fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I saw the Destiny Collection was on sale for €25 on PS4 yesterday so I grabbed it as I've heard so much about it. Is there any recommendations for complete n00bs?

fixxxer wrote: »
    I saw the Destiny Collection was on sale for €25 on PS4 yesterday so I grabbed it as I've heard so much about it. Is there any recommendations for complete n00bs?

Say goodbye to your friends and family.

or possibly you'll just not like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just plough through all your story missions and the like first and when you are finished them and at 40 it's about bringing up your "light level" then

Once you are at 40 loads of other stuff will open up for you to do

Long story short : wear the stuff with higher numbers and use the guns with higher numbers

If you get into it and want to join up for a few games there are loads of us on every night, shoot one of us an invitation and we should be able to play with you

My PSN is Fieldog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ive been dipping in over the weekend to try and get my hunter (only character I have) levelled up. I'm currently at 362 (i think) but my 252 ghost is holding me back. its there any handy way of picking one up without wasting 100 legendary marks on a 380 variant, or should I just do that?
    otherwise, the levelling is definitely easier than it was in the past - almost every engram I've gotten has decrypted higher than what I have equipped.

also,

do 3 of coins not work on omnigul anymore?

Legendary marks are easy to come by so just shell out for the 380 model.
    3ocs can be finicky. You can go ages without anything and then two will drop at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Legendary marks are easy to come by so just shell out for the 380 model.
    3ocs can be finicky. You can go ages without anything and then two will drop at once.

what i mean is the little icon that appears over your characters head, it doesnt disappear after omnigul is defeated - suggesting shes not classed as an Ultra anymore. its happened twice over the weekend.

Malok and something else popped it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ive been dipping in over the weekend to try and get my hunter (only character I have) levelled up. I'm currently at 362 (i think) but my 252 ghost is holding me back. its there any handy way of picking one up without wasting 100 legendary marks on a 380 variant, or should I just do that?
    otherwise, the levelling is definitely easier than it was in the past - almost every engram I've gotten has decrypted higher than what I have equipped.

also,

do 3 of coins not work on omnigul anymore?

Ghosts drop regularly in the archons forge and from faction packages.

• Advertisement

Omnigul doesnt count as an Ultra for some reason so 3oC's doesnt work on her.

My prefered place for ghosts,artifacts and class items is the archon forge in the plaguelands. They drop all the way up to 400 so if your ghost/artifact/class item is holding you back pop in there and do a few rounds. Much easier in a group. Plenty of blue engrams in there too so they will also be useful all the way up to 385.

Penn, what's your PSN ID so I can have a look at your profile/history/quests and advise you.

Also, do you use Google Chrome on Laptop/Desktop? If so, get the Destiny Item Manager extension, it will change your life. It's worth it for the "Maximise Light" Button Alone. But the % Stats splits on gear is super handy too

What's the point of these items that let me jump to level 25 and 40? Surely playing to level up its the point?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's the point of these items that let me jump to level 25 and 40? Surely playing to level up its the point?

You'd think that but no, the game doesn't really start until level 40. Light level is what you're really after which is the numbers on your gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yep. Use them to power level your alt accounts.

Incentive to run a 2nd or 3rd character. They came with expansions, not the base game. Just do a normal playtrhough 1-40. Otherwise it feels cheap and an overall cr@p experience. Cheeses the whole game

Played a few missions last night. I went as a Titan class as I prefer to be front and centre in a fire fight. A friend who's level 28 joined up and basically played Dad while I, a toddler, beat the enemy toddlers with my pop guns.

Seems pretty fun so far :) Is that Nathan Fillian on the Home base?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Played a few missions last night. I went as a Titan class as I prefer to be front and centre in a fire fight. A friend who's level 28 joined up and basically played Dad while I, a toddler, beat the enemy toddlers with my pop guns.

Seems pretty fun so far :) Is that Nathan Fillian on the Home base?

Yeah it's him, there's a lot of recognisable voices around. He's not the only Firefly cast member in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Is that Nathan Fillian on the Home base?

Cayde-6 = Nathan Fillion (Firefly)
    Commander Zavala - Lance Reddick (Agent Broyles - Fringe)
    Tess Everis - Claudia Black (Farscape / Stargate SG-1)
    The Speaker - Bill Nighy
    Ikora Rey - Gina Torres (Firely / Suits)

Do an IMDB search for the voice actors, and you'll realise you know A LOT of them.

Firefly being cancelled after season one was one of the greatest crimes against humanity.
    ....or at least it felt like it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Do an IMDB search for the voice actors, and you'll realise you know A LOT of them.

Fry from Futurama is the weaponsmith I believe, and the English guy from Star Trek Enterprise is the bounty bot in the Tower.

PetKing wrote: »
    Fry from Futurama is the weaponsmith I believe, and the English guy from Star Trek Enterprise is the bounty bot in the Tower.

The Egyptian guy from the OG Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy is MAster Rahool.

Have a look at who voices Lakshmi-2 and Arach Jalaal.

Have a look at who voices Lakshmi-2 and Arach Jalaal.

I'm lazy... Tell me!

I'm lazy... Tell me!

Lakshmi-2 = Shohreh Aghdashloo (One of those actors that you've seen in nearly everything, but never knew their name)
    MV5BMThiODA2NDEtMGM5Ni00NjYxLWFmZGMtN2IxYTY1NDExMTBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5Mjg0NjU@._V1_.jpg

Arach Jalaal = Peter Stormare
    MV5BOTUyMDQ0MTEyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDYxMDkz._V1_.jpg

Arach Jalaal = Peter Stormare

Shut the front door!!! :O

Shut the front door!!! :O

You'll have to explain that one. It's obviously a quote from something.

Lakshmi-2 = Shohreh Aghdashloo

Oh man, I love her voice. Why cant she narrate my life? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Penn, what's your PSN ID so I can have a look at your profile/history/quests and advise you.

Also, do you use Google Chrome on Laptop/Desktop? If so, get the Destiny Item Manager extension, it will change your life. It's worth it for the "Maximise Light" Button Alone. But the % Stats splits on gear is super handy too

harleybill. I used to be part of the Boards group at the start I think so might already be friends with some of ye.

A little tip i found helpful regarding subclasses and bounties.

If your using a fully levelled sub class swich to a subclass that still needs to be levelled when you complete bounties. If you complete the bounty with the fully levelled sub class the XP is wasted as the class is already maxed. A nice way to keep your lesser used sub classes levelling without having to constantly use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Commander Zavala - Lance Reddick (Agent Broyles - Fringe)

I KNEW I recognised that voice

Advertisement