Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Propecia in Ireland

• 02-04-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all, been reading about a few of your guys' attempts at halting or slowing down hair loss and have a few questions.

Been thinking about going for a prescription for propecia. Having read up a lot on possible sides, success rates etc. I've decided that I'm willing to take the plunge or, at least, give it a whack for a while and see what results I have (if any). Trouble is, now that I've finally decided to do something about it, I have no idea where to start. One website I've been looking at is a certain web doctor. Has anyone had any experience with them? Are the prescriptions legit? Id also heard about a certain doctor that recognised a gap in the market and was now doing web-based consultations for such prescriptions,does anyone have any further info regarding this? Is it the same as the other website I alluded to above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/mobileart-rx.asp?drug=propecia&monotype=rx-desc&monopage=0

Some of the common side effects are non-reversible. Just for your info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I would talk to your GP first and foremost tbh. Mine wouldn't recommend Propecia at all considering the potential irreversible side-effects for a young man. It's a drug for prostate cancer. They just give hairloss patients a smaller dosage.

Doctors who recommend Finasteride/Propecia all have a vested interest in the hairloss industry. So talk to an unbiased medical doctor before you start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Passenger wrote: »
    So talk to an unbiased medical doctor before you start.

AFAIK it cannot be prescribed in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

AFAIK it cannot be prescribed in Ireland.

What? Of course it can.

To the OP - forget Propecia. Just go to a doctor who will prescribe Finasteride - many GP's probably won't want to get involved in that but somewhere like HRBR will. It's a fraction of the cost for the exact same thing, Propecia is just a patented dosage. With Finasteride you just break one 5mg pill into 4 for the daily dosage, and you'll save about 1k a year. (annual supply of Finasteride is less than €100)

Also, the side effects are grossly over-stated as if they're an inevitability. They're no more likely than the potentially horrible side-effects associated with many common drugs.

Just go to a doctor who will prescribe Finasteride

The 5mg dosage is prostate treatment (Proscar). I can't imagine any doctor prescribing it to be taken as Propecia. Doctors are a bit attached to the licence to practice.

For the avoidance of doubt, it's not possible to legally acquire Propecia from your GP. I'm aware the below says Irish GPs can dispense proscar, but that's likely there way of getting you to use their service.

"Can I get Propecia in Ireland?

The Propecia brand is licensed for sale and is available in the UK and costs over £330 (€420) for a 6 month supply, however it is not available in Ireland in this form. The same active ingredient is used to treat prostate problems in men at much higher dosages. Some Doctors use this formulation for the treatment of male pattern hair loss by prescribing it on the basis of taking a quarter of a tablet daily (the tablet can be cut into quarters using a tablet cutter which can be bought in any Pharmacy). This is known as prescribing the medicine in an “off-licence†manner. This prescription for the medication (that contains the same active ingredient in Propecia is called Fintrid or Proscar) and the cost is far lower than Propecia."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Before you think about going near that stuff go over to the finisteride help forum and read a few of the threads.

Guys in their 20s are killing themselves because they have destroyed their reproductive and endocrine systems.

One tablet can cause these side effects..read up on them before you touch that stuff and think about what you could end up suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

You don't want to use it its pure poison.

"Suicidal ideation" and "Penile shrinkage" are just some of the side effects listed.

http://medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/March2016/PostFinasterideSyndrome.htm

One of Ireland's most respected Doctor's Andrew Rynne calls it a "dangerous toxic medication".

Remember..the side-effects only manifest themselves when you stop.

Further reading...it's pretty grim stuff.:(

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Remember..the side-effects only manifest themselves when you stop.

Further reading...it's pretty grim stuff.:(

Many people can take the drug for years without problems then suddenly the side effects hit them and they are never the same again.

If you take this drug you are basically playing russian roulette with your mental, physical and sexual health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

You can get an online prescription and get it in boots 10 euro per month for the supply

I have no side effects while taking it, I looked at all the plus 's and minuses and decided to give it a shot (I'm 26 and have dufuse balding) keep the hair on my head untill I'm 30 and let it go be foooked after that

**this is not medical advice just my experience**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Balding23

Hey Im 23 and like all ye sadly balding. I was considering propecia or proscar myself. I started using Rogaine 5% just over a month ago. Yes, I seen X2 the level of hair loss and numerous friends have also noticed my hair thinning since I started using Rogaine..however it has majorly slowed down now in the last 2 weeks. Just wondering if any of ye have used Rogaine whats yer opinion on it compared to propecia? Do any of ye use both? Also saw palmetto any opinion on its ability to be a natural finasteride (propecia)? Thanks

Balding23 wrote: »
    Hey Im 23 and like all ye sadly balding. I was considering propecia or proscar myself. I started using Rogaine 5% just over a month ago. Yes, I seen X2 the level of hair loss and numerous friends have also noticed my hair thinning since I started using Rogaine..however it has majorly slowed down now in the last 2 weeks. Just wondering if any of ye have used Rogaine whats yer opinion on it compared to propecia? Do any of ye use both? Also saw palmetto any opinion on its ability to be a natural finasteride (propecia)? Thanks

Well Rogaine won't chemically castrate you so it's probably a better shot.

Something worth mentioning with ALL baldness "remedies" is that they will work (sort of) only as long as you continue to use the product. You will not beat naturally-ocurring male pattern baldness no matter what you use.

And i will repeat myself again. If you're even thinking about propecia knowing the potential side-effects you need to get a grip on yourself.

Go to propecia help and read the stories...do you think anybody thought it would happen to them??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Balding23

Yeah you are right Mystic Monkey. I just see so many win on the gamble than lose..but at 23 it really is a gamble not worth taking. I think I will stick to the Rogaine and maybe supplement with saw palmetto. Hopefully the two together will suffice. Thanks

Yeah you are right Mystic Monkey. I just see so many win on the gamble than lose..but at 23 it really is a gamble not worth taking. I think I will stick to the Rogaine and maybe supplement with saw palmetto. Hopefully the two together will suffice. Thanks

Cut your hair short and get used to it,man.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I started using Rogaine 5% just over a month ago. Yes, I seen X2 the level of hair loss and numerous friends have also noticed my hair thinning since I started using Rogaine..
    If I recall correctly(and I may not) these products that fight hairloss commonly cause initial losses when first started. Again IIRC it's down to the medications interrupting a stage in the hair growth cycle(dormant, growing, renewing?) so hair in the dormant stage get's restarted and falls out first before regrowing with more vigour . Something like that anyway.

The regaine stuff works in a different way to the propecia meds. IIRC it increases blood flow to the hair cells, whereas propecia blocks the testosterone byproducts that cause genetically susceptible hair cells to shut down. The latter is going to have a way bigger effect systemically. Plus it's a pill so is systemic anyway(skin application is going to get some into the wider system, but nearly so much) You really don't want to be screwing with your endocrine system, especially the hormone that essentially makes you a bloke.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If I recall correctly(and I may not) these products that fight hairloss commonly cause initial losses when first started. Again IIRC it's down to the medications interrupting a stage in the hair growth cycle(dormant, growing, renewing?) so hair in the dormant stage get's restarted and falls out first before regrowing with more vigour . Something like that anyway.

The regaine stuff works in a different way to the propecia meds. IIRC it increases blood flow to the hair cells, whereas propecia blocks the testosterone byproducts that cause genetically susceptible hair cells to shut down. The latter is going to have a way bigger effect systemically. Plus it's a pill so is systemic anyway(skin application is going to get some into the wider system, but nearly so much) You really don't want to be screwing with your endocrine system, especially the hormone that essentially makes you a bloke.

My understanding is that it stops the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the hormone that damages the hair follicles. So, men that take Propecia actually have higher testosterone than non users. But mean that take it have less DHT.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Sn@kebite

I've been losing since 2009 and am using Fin (3 years) + 10% minoxidil solution. The fin is the main reason my hair is not falling out though.

Tbh rogaine 5% only works about 1.5-2 yrs and it did same for me. So you will need higher % per volume of minox. I would say if you don't want to go near fin or dutasteride you can say goodbye to your hair eventually. It gets harder to keep it as the DHT hormone accumulates.

Even at least topical finasteride usually 0.1% can help so you will get some benefit while a small amount will absorb into the bloodstream lowering risk of sides. (Although it's impossible to tell if the benefit is actually coming from the quantity which DOES go systemic) A 1ml solution of 0.1% fin will be about 1mg, I've used a 12% minox + 0.1% fin solution before with good results but it's so expensive it can be financially unrealistic. there are also gels with 0.1% fin in them. These are all mainly for those who experience sides from oral fin.

People have also been messed up by Saw Palmetto.

While Saw Palmetto is alot "safer" than Finasteride it does still carry risks.

In my opinion it is best to avoid these 5α-Reductase inhibitors altogether.

The guy in this video took his own life because he couldn't deal with the side effects of Saw Palmetto.

Here we have one of leading Irish loss Doctor's in Ireland Dr. Patrick Treacy admitting that Finasteride/Propecia can cause "permanent side effects".

(skip to 8:15)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coll7

You can get finasteride prescription from Web doctor.ie. I got it last year and got a script which when cut would last me a year. They prescribe proscar or the likes 5mg. You get a pill cutter and slice it into quarters which you are supposed to take daily. I picked up my Meds in boots, bout 60-70eu for the year supply. Calculate it all comes in at around less than 100eu for the year which is a bargain. Took it for 4 months, worked really fast for me, hair grew faster, thicker, darker, greying eased off, baldness stopped. Great results yeah. SO, you're asking yourself, why did he only take it for 4 months? Got sides, lots of sides. Breasts started growing on my chiselled chest, woman breasts. Awful pain in my testical, willy was like a teabag left out in the Spanish sun. Couldn't get it up, when I managed it was only half mast and burning. 1/4 of the ejaculate and it was a yellow "gone off" colour. Muscle loss, insomnia, anxiety, depression, mental confusion, cognitive malfunction, foggy brain, couldn't get words outo, put sentences together. When I did manage to say a full intellectual sentence without stuttering I would be so proud that it was visible to people and they thought I was a spastic. Great haireland but I was ****ed, think I had a mini crash when I stopped then. Didn't have the energy to hardly walk 'downstair'. But we're all different. Best of luck. By the way, those capsules of pumpkin seed oil are great for hair colour and slowing loss if taken everyday

• Advertisement

coll7 wrote: »
    You can get finasteride prescription from Web doctor.ie. I got it last year and got a script which when cut would last me a year. They prescribe proscar or the likes 5mg. You get a pill cutter and slice it into quarters which you are supposed to take daily. I picked up my Meds in boots, bout 60-70eu for the year supply. Calculate it all comes in at around less than 100eu for the year which is a bargain. Took it for 4 months, worked really fast for me, hair grew faster, thicker, darker, greying eased off, baldness stopped. Great results yeah. SO, you're asking yourself, why did he only take it for 4 months? Got sides, lots of sides. Breasts started growing on my chiselled chest, woman breasts. Awful pain in my testical, willy was like a teabag left out in the Spanish sun. Couldn't get it up, when I managed it was only half mast and burning. 1/4 of the ejaculate and it was a yellow "gone off" colour. Muscle loss, insomnia, anxiety, depression, mental confusion, cognitive malfunction, foggy brain, couldn't get words outo, put sentences together. When I did manage to say a full intellectual sentence without stuttering I would be so proud that it was visible to people and they thought I was a spastic. Great haireland but I was ****ed, think I had a mini crash when I stopped then. Didn't have the energy to hardly walk 'downstair'. But we're all different. Best of luck. By the way, those capsules of pumpkin seed oil are great for hair colour and slowing loss if taken everyday

Sorry to hear you fell victim to this legalised poison.. i hope you make a full recovery and that your story is a deterrent to others to not take this disgusting drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coll7

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you fell victim to this legalised poison.. i hope you make a full recovery and that your story is a deterrent to others to not take this disgusting drug.

Thank you, I have made a great recovery through hard graft, exercise, good diet, meditation. All I have to do now is spend 3serious months doing weights to recover the muscle. I won't recover the subcutaneous fat I lost in my handsome cheekbones. The stuff should be banned. 2% maximum get sides, more like 50%. Anyway thanks for the recovery wishes. I was one of the lucky and determinedo people that came out the other side and continue life as normal

Advertisement