Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty city canals

Options
  • 02-04-2017 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I saw that Galway recently won an award for being "green", but it's hard to imagine with the state of the canals.

When they recently were replacing the gates down by the sparch, you could see just how much crap there was in there. Time for a dredge?

(Photo is of just below the Atlanta Apartments, but there is so much more stuff along outside the Salt House)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

There's a job for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I felt the same about this and in particular, I thought the waterway between Nuns Island and the Millenium park was filthy. I went to college for 4 years in NUIG and passed there a lot and nothing had changed in 4 years. I took 13 pictures and sent them to all city councilors and copied the local newspapers in April, 2015.

A few councillors responded but I have to say the only one that took action was Niall McNelis. He organised a group from the Galway Kayak club to do a litter pick.

I sent him a follow up question to ask about why volunteers were tasked with handling it and why the council authorities had no personal sorting it out. I was informed of the following:

There is no water safety person to train staff. Also no engineer assigned for canals except Eglinton canal. Both these are to be filled and there was a staff embargo on council staff.  I have been given assurances these will be put in place and then works can be done regularly.

I can't find the email but I remember some confusion also with who had overall responsibility for maintenance of the Canals - City Council, Inland Fisheries or Bord Iascaigh Mhara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I can't find the email but I remember some confusion also with who had overall responsibility for maintenance of the Canals - City Council, Inland Fisheries or Bord Iascaigh Mhara.

I imagine that it's none of those directly. I'd say it's the Navigation Trustees.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/lough-corrib-trustees-information/

"The Lough Corrib Navigation Trustees were established by the Navigation Act of 1859 made by the Commissioners of Public Works in Ireland.
    The Trustees are responsible for the maintenance of navigation aids, a limited number of piers on the Corrib system, maintenance of the Eglinton canal system, associated walkways, tow paths, lock gates and boundary walls.
    The Trustees meet four times a year with the Officials of Galway City Council.
    Legislation pertaining to Lough Corrib Navigation Trustees is available on www.irishstatutebook.ie"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I enquired about dredging the canal and Claddagh Basin when the water was low recently.

I was told that Galway Harbour Board had offered to clean it out at no cost to the city, but that the problem was that about 5 different organisations have different responsibilities (one for water, 1 for the bank, 1 for the concrete, 1 for the silt, 1 for the plantlife, etc), and that the problem was getting them to agree to let them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Thats terrible.
    Not one cone or shopping trolley :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement