Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lisbon

• 02-04-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm heading to Lisbon for a week, are there any towns/villages close by (up to 2 or 3 hours on a bus/train) anybody would recommend for 3 days or so?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Years ago I went to
    Sintra (train),
    Cascais (train - for a day on the beach - same train line goes to Estoril )
    and Mafra (bus - to visit the Palace).
    Would recommend all the above.
    Enjoy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've been to Sintra and Cascais which are both under an hour on the train away. Personally I'd prefer Sintra as it's just a beautiful town and there's plenty to keep you going for a few days. Cascais is more of a beach resort but also a really nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

What about Lisbon itself? What are the must do's there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Erik Shin wrote: »

Lisbon is a pretty chilled and laid back city. I'd recommend taking a long walk through Alfama. It's an old style Portuguese neighborhood that's very hilly and has some great views of the city and the Tagus river. There's loads of nice little restaurants throughout as well as Fado bars where they play traditional Portuguese Fado music and I'd also recommend checking out São Jorge Castle while in the neighborhood. There's great views of the city and it's a nice place to relax for an afternoon. There's also a tram line going through Alfama and it's the only old style tram left in the city as the new ones can't manage through all the hills, it's pretty cool and worth going from one end of the line to the other end.

A trip to Belem is also well worth it (about 10/15mins by tram). There's a few historical bits out here like the war monument that you can go to the top of, I think there's an army museum also and a huge old church as well as an old fort. This is where the famous Belem pastries are from also, you'll see them everywhere in Lisbon!

For nightlife, the Barrio Alto area is great and always hopping. It's full of narrow streets with little hole in the wall types bars and clubs which all spill onto the streets at the weekend (it's legal to drink in public in Lisbon) and you'll rarely pay more than €2 for a pint.

The Mercado de Ribiera (or Time Out Market) is also a cool spot for food. It's a big indoor food hall (think a much much fancier Epicurean food hall) that is run by Time Out who have picked what they reckon are the best restaurants in Lisbon and given them all smaller stalls inside the hall where you can get everything from burgers and pizza to steak tartare and sushi aswell as different beers, cocktails and fresh juices.

There's other things to do in Lisbon but that's just a sampling of things I got up to. Being so close to Sintra, I'd also recommend a day trip there, it's only 40mins by train and about €5 return. I spent a day here and I just got a hop on/off tour bus that starts at the train station. It takes you to all the places of interest and you can jump off anywhere you want to check out in more detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Hi folks,
    I'm heading to Lisbon for a week, are there any towns/villages close by (up to 2 or 3 hours on a bus/train) anybody would recommend for 3 days or so?

Thanks in advance

I would also recommend going to Setubal, about 1.5 hrs away. Lisbon is amazing. It's my favourite city in Europe. Fabulous city, cheap and wonderful. If you like fish/seafood, you really are in for a treat. Try the local custard tartlets! Enjoy, I can't wait to go back!!!

• Advertisement

If you like soccer, Sporting's stadium and museum are worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Setubal is a must if you like sea food.
    THe very last restautant up the sea front (closest to the harbour) is worth a visit. It does octapus which is super. We had to que an hour to get a seat last year!! 8 Adults & 6 kids came to just over €100
    You could then take the ferry across to Troia which has great beaches.

Sintra is another one worth visiting.

Edit . Restaurant is on avenida Luisa todi. Called "Rei do choco frito"

Off in about 10 days for a week, .. Anything that's a must do as i have a 9yo in tow as well ?

Off in about 10 days for a week, .. Anything that's a must do as i have a 9yo in tow as well ?

Eat custard cakes and seafood! The zoo is great, they put a dolphin show which my 9 year old absolutely loved. It is very child friendly, sit out in the evening time, some food, some wine, a bit of fado, heaven! Get out to Sintra, if yiu can. Visit the beach too. Take the tram up the many hills of the city! If you like football, Sportings stadium is worth a visit. The aquarium is also pretty cool. You'll love it there. Lisbon is my favourite city in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just a safety tip to be careful when out late at night and always take a taxi back to your hotel. Lisbon is a wonderful city but it isn't the safest one for wandering around in after dark compared to other European capitals.

• Advertisement

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Just a safety tip to be careful when out late at night and always take a taxi back to your hotel. Lisbon is a wonderful city but it isn't the safest one for wandering around in after dark compared to other European capitals.

As someone who landed at Madrid airport a few hours after it was bombed, was in Paris the night of the attack...I think I'll take any and all advice at this stage ;)

No one mentioned the huge aquarium in parc Do Nacoes..It was the expo center. There is also a cable car down the coast.

No one mentioned the huge aquarium in parc Do Nacoes..It was the expo center. There is also a cable car down the coast.

9yo in tow, so anything that will keep her occupied is most welcome, thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Food reccomendations for non fish/seafood eater ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How was Lisbon trip ? Would you recommend?

zweton wrote: »
    How was Lisbon trip ? Would you recommend?

Would go back again.. excellent

what were the highlights? thinking of going in December for a week, obviously it wouldn't be the warmest but think it should still be pretty nice.

what were the highlights? thinking of going in December for a week, obviously it wouldn't be the warmest but think it should still be pretty nice.

Lots to do, you have to go to Sintra, it's a world heritage centre.. think Dingle and Killarney together but x50 and some spectacular palaces.
    The oceanarium is fantastic, biggest in Europe, walk thru the city, have a look at the older parts of the city, eat in the outer laying restaurants, traditional fado nights, down to the Tagus , maybe do the boat cruise and Def do the red bus tour on the first day, givers you a layout of the city...so much more, but that's whey springs to mind....also, if you have young children, you have to take a tuk-tuk in Sintra... brilliant fun ;)

lovely cheers for that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Day trips to: Sintra, Mafra, beaches in Cascais/Estoril
    Old tram 28 http://lisbon-portugal-guide.com/lisbon-transport/lisbon-tram-28.html

• Advertisement

lovely cheers for that:)

Spent 6 nights there and could easily have done with another 6... I'll definitely go back

cheap to eat out and drink?

cheap to eat out and drink?

Yep, and amazing fish / seafood. I love Lisbin. We've 4 times, going again at hallowe'en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What can I expect the weather to be like late-October?

Me and my GF are going for four days mid-week, I assume the place will still be lively?

Sintra seems to be a cert to visit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What can I expect the weather to be like late-October?

Me and my GF are going for four days mid-week, I assume the place will still be lively?

Sintra seems to be a cert to visit :D

Very pleasant, I reckon, maybe low to mid 20s? Could maybe hit high 20s if it's early October. At that time of year, I wouldn't expect wall to wall sun though.

I'd say the crowds will be at a perfect level, the summer rush will be gone but it's probably somewhere that gets tourists all year round. The Bairro Alto district is where you will find the liveliest nightlife.

My big piece of advice to you would be to get to anything you really want to see really early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Oh and the Bairro Alto is were native Lisboans go for a night out apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great thread.
    Going to Lisbon next month myself so I appreciate all the helpful posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Oh and the Bairro Alto is were native Lisboans go for a night out apparently.

Yep spot on - I travel monthly to Lisbon for work....its a hard life

Bairro Alto is my destination for food and drink and as mentioned where the locals all go. They tend to eat later, so 9pm onwards the place is buzzing.

If you like gin ! - the cockpit bar on Av. Sacadura Cabral is a great spot (Campo Pequeno Metro). Really friendly - they do cold beer & all other spirits, but its known as a Tapas and gin Bar. €3 for a large beer & €7 for a gin & tonic (about 60 on their list)

Most bars are about €3 for a large beer, but top end places such as the Sky Bar at the Tivoli will charge closer to €9 for a pint, worth it for one to take in the view.

The Cervejaria Trindade in the old town is a restaurant set in an Old Monastery, good food, good beer & very reasonable.

Love the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Maybe a bit OT but myself and my girlfriend are planing on going here for a couple of days at the end of November but not sure where I should be looking for accommodation. Can anyone recommend somewhere or an area I should be looking. Looking for something close to restaurants, bars etc but nothing too wild. We are both late 20's and just looking to have a couple of days chilling out enjoying the sights and a few drinks/food in the evening.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

^^
    I'd be looking to stay as central as possible to the riverfront area and the Praca do Comercio, as Lisbon isn't the most walkable city if you aren't centrally located with all the steep hills and confusing narrow cobbled streets that will really test your legs.
    Anyway I would heavily recommend Hotel Figueira, which is the best hotel that I've ever stayed in. It's wonderfully located and just the perfect base to experience the city from.

Agree with the above poster....it's a huge and sprawled out city...not walkable from the outskirts...have a look at any hotels by Rossio square...you're smack bang in the middle of everything then and can't go wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

nice one, myself and the better have are heading Thursday morning until Monday. We've actually staying about 5 minutes from Praca do Comercio.

really looking forward to it now especially with the weather forecast.

If anything right now we've too many recommendations from friends who've been and research I've done online.

Have to spend some time doing up some sort of itinerary tonight and tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Had a lovely trip away with the OH after. We air b & b'd it in the Mouraria district which was an ideal size for the both of us, modern and within walking distance of everything (although up a steep hill). I would echo previous recommendations of trying to locate yourself near Rossio Square as its more accessible in terms of gradient etc.

As for the city itself, I cannot fault anything. Food is largely very good and generally a lot cheaper than here. The delicacy salted cod has to be sampled. We went to the Time Out Market on one of the afternoon's- well worth the visit. In terms of "sights", the Castle Sao Jorge is amazing, particularly around sundown, while the Belem Tower and Monument of the Discoveries are must-sees as well. We rather crazily decided to "trek" up to Barrio Alto one of the nights to sample the nightlife- it puts Dublin to shame in terms of atmosphere, drink prices and whatever.

But Sintra was my favourite. Absolutely fabulous town about 30-40 minutes away by train (tickets very reasonably priced too). The palace was a highlight, as was getting a tuk-tuk up to the top of the mountain it is located on :D

The only real downside was when we had an entire day to burn on the day we were flying home. Check-out from our apartment was at 11AM, and our flight wasn't till 10PM, so we hoped to store our luggage in one of the locker areas of a train station and go to Cascais for the day. But the lockers were full in two of the stations we tried (Rossio and Cais de Sodre), so we had to bring it along with us. Was annoying and meant we couldn't really enjoy the beach there was much as we hoped to.

But one thing I will say- mid-20 heat in October is something I have never experienced and is entirely welcome :D

Great little city. Had a family bereavement in the lead-up, and was so close to pulling out, but was encouraged to go by all my family. Glad I did as it allowed me to totally switch off.

nice one, myself and the better have are heading Thursday morning until Monday. We've actually staying about 5 minutes from Praca do Comercio.

really looking forward to it now especially with the weather forecast.

If anything right now we've too many recommendations from friends who've been and research I've done online.

Have to spend some time doing up some sort of itinerary tonight and tomorrow

how was the trip? any recommendations? going in dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Going in a few weeks. Airbnb looks to be plentiful and good value. Any district in particular anyone would/would not recommend ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mattser wrote: »
    Going in a few weeks. Airbnb looks to be plentiful and good value. Any district in particular anyone would/would not recommend ?

Sintra is a must. Visit Pena Palace and the Moorish Castle, they're brilliant.
    Lisbon Oceanarium is well worth a visit too.
    A city tram ride is a must, the drivers are pure mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Hoping to go to Lisbon sometime in late April. Looking at hotels at the moment near the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa 'University of Lisbon'. It's around 5km from Rossio Square, would that be okay location wise? How warm would it be that time of year?

avoid alfrigide

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Irish94 wrote: »
    Hoping to go to Lisbon sometime in late April. Looking at hotels at the moment near the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa 'University of Lisbon'. It's around 5km from Rossio Square, would that be okay location wise? How warm would it be that time of year?

Sounds far away from the centre. The metro system is great, but have you considered staying in the city centre?

Also, you can get some really nice apartments quite cheaply. I stayed in one near barrio alto.

Edit: the apartment I stayed in was in the Principe Real district, right around the corner from Rossio metro station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Belem is quite nice. We went to Nos Alive last year and stayed there. Its a cheap taxi journey from the city centre too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sounds far away from the centre. The metro system is great, but have you considered staying in the city centre?

Also, you can get some really nice apartments quite cheaply. I stayed in one near barrio alto.

Edit: the apartment I stayed in was in the Principe Real district, right around the corner from Rossio metro station.

What area/areas would be best around the City Centre to stay in?

Looking at hotels to stay in preferably, so if anyone has any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Irish94 wrote: »
    What area/areas would be best around the City Centre to stay in?

Looking at hotels to stay in preferably, so if anyone has any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

Same as above poster hoping to head over for a few nights mid may with my GF. Any recommendations would be great!!

I'm going in two weeks after my wedding, and unfortunately never read this thread until now.
    We've booked and paid for a fancy hotel, but it's out by Marques de Pombal.
    Are we a bit away from everything? I know we can get the metro from there, but is there anything worth seeing in that area, or should we head away from there once we get up each morning?

I'm going in two weeks after my wedding, and unfortunately never read this thread until now.
    We've booked and paid for a fancy hotel, but it's out by Marques de Pombal.
    Are we a bit away from everything? I know we can get the metro from there, but is there anything worth seeing in that area, or should we head away from there once we get up each morning?

I think that's at the end of a long avenue down to the sea front. It's a nice area, and a lovely walk down to the sea front, but you can easily get a quick metro ride from there as well.

It's the inner flatter part of the city. You will see hills on either side of the avenue, castle on one side, and old districts with shopping and bars on the other. Lisbon City centre is compact but requires lots of walking on cobbled hills, bring appropriate footwear!

I think that's at the end of a long avenue down to the sea front. It's a nice area, and a lovely walk down to the sea front, but you can easily get a quick metro ride from there as well.

It's the inner flatter part of the city. You will see hills on either side of the avenue, castle on one side, and old districts with shopping and bars on the other. Lisbon City centre is compact but requires lots of walking on cobbled hills, bring appropriate footwear!

Thanks. I'll make sure we pack proper shoes.
    The hotel seems to be about a 3k walk down to the sea front, but all down hill :)
    Neither of us would be put off by walking, but I imagine we'll do it once, and then start taking the metro.

The metro is great and connects to the airport. Its also handy for getting to areas that are uphill. (not the castle though, you have to walk or bus, but do. Great views.)

It can be deceiving to look at a map of Lisbon,and thinking areas are close by, but actually are difficult to get to because of the hills and the funny layout of the city.

Having said that, the city centre is small and well connected by transport, so it doesn't really matter where you stay once you are fairly central.

Sorry, that's Rato station, not Rossio.

Advertisement