Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing iPhone 6 back from States

Options
  • 02-04-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

Im going to America at end of month for business. Im planning on buying an iphone 6 out there to save a few bob. Is this a good idea ? Will I have any problems when I get back ?

All advice appreciated !

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Personally if it was me Id go for the 6s over the 6. As regards any problems, Im not sure if its still the same but a friend of mine had an issue with an Iphone he purchased in America a good while back, and Apple support couldn't do anything for him over the phone, so he had to go to the Apple Store in Belfast to get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

As Aquos76 said, Better getting the 6s at this stage as its a little faster with todays ios 10 and ios 11 soon i would imagine.

I got my iphone 6 in america (64gb) and still going strong,Have no interest in getting the 7 at all. Better to mention perhaps in the apple store your bringing it back to Ireland. There might be different models available in america with different bands.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    As Aquos76 said, Better getting the 6s at this stage as its a little faster with todays ios 10 and ios 11 soon i would imagine.

I got my iphone 6 in america (64gb) and still going strong,Have no interest in getting the 7 at all. Better to mention perhaps in the apple store your bringing it back to Ireland. There might be different models available in america with different bands.

The only big difference now would be what happens if the phone develops a fault after 12 months. No comeback if bought in the US, whereas you should have the protection of consumer law if bought in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

whiterebel wrote: »
    The only big difference now would be what happens if the phone develops a fault after 12 months. No comeback if bought in the US, whereas you should have the protection of consumer law if bought in Ireland.

I thought a read somewhere that your covered worldwide within the 12 months,If you bring it to apple in Belfast they will fix it regardless of region purchased...Im Sure i seen that in the apple devices forum somewhere....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I thought a read somewhere that your covered worldwide within the 12 months,If you bring it to apple in Belfast they will fix it regardless of region purchased...Im Sure i seen that in the apple devices forum somewhere....

After 12 months....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Buy it from the apple store and make sure you get either the sim free or AT&T version which are on GSM networks. Verizon and Sprint are on the CDMA network and won't work over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

The devil is in the detail. I know that certain US models support a selection of cellular and wireless standards that are slightly different to ours here...

Have a look at the Cellular and Wireless section of this page. Now, It's a few years since this was an issue for me but when I last looked, the 4G support in the US was different to 4G here and the best you yould get was HSDPA. I would suggest you establish which model(s) (as in product code) is sold here and compare that with the one you're planning to buy and try and establish what connectivity issues you might have on Irish networks.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/

So, again, the devil is in the detail!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Hurl_lad wrote: »
    Hi

Im going to America at end of month for business. Im planning on buying an iphone 6 out there to save a few bob. Is this a good idea ? Will I have any problems when I get back ?

All advice appreciated !

Thanks

As all above - but of course dont buy a pay-as-you-go locked to a network one- hassle to get unlocked if even possible - also you will have a tiny two pin charger rather than the larger 3 pin one.

I almost bought a 6S when I was there last - but after you pay the local tax there wasn't very much savings when I checked.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement