Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy barrels v standard barrels.

Options
  • 02-04-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Anyone have an opinion on perceived increase in accuracy by changing to a heavy barrel.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is a difference and it can be subtle or sometimes very noticeable. One thing i could not tell you is if it's the barrel only or the rifle as a whole.

Had a light barreled 308 many years back and it was a pig. First shot was grand, but anything after that and i got a climbing, to the right, line instead of a group. Switched to a heavy barrel and the grouping was consistent and dependable.

However the lighter 308 had a cheap composite stock and weighed around 6 lbs. The heavy barreled rifle had a composite stock, but much stronger, wider, and had a bedding block. The entire rifle weighed 10.5lbs. Then look at the cost. Generally, and it's common sense more so than a proven fact (for me) but more expensive rifles generally have better quality control, R&D and machining processes.

However for the topic of the thread yeah, i'd go with heavy over light most days.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

If it was for a hunting rifle would it be worth carrying the extra weight. I was thinking if a .22lr.Or maybe a 17 hmr for fox's.

For smaller/varmint calibers i'm not so swayed by the heavy barrel/light barrel argument.

You most definitely don't need some BR type rifle weighing in at over 12 lbs. The 22 and even the hmr are light enough rounds in terms of they don't cause excessive heating, have little to no recoil, and for hunting situations you're looking at MOB instead of MOA (Minute of Bunny/Minute of Angle).

My current 22 is your standard CZ. Medium profile barrel and small scope. It weighs around 7 pounds or so. I had the hmr in CZ with the heavy barrel. A great rifle but man the heavy barrel got annoying after along day out. Muzzle heavy, and no need for such a heavy gun for such a small caliber. My Savage HMR was similar in size, bu the stainless barrel and different stock made the rifle lighter and easier to manage than the CZ. However again it was a heavy barrel rifle and so got annoying after along day.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Thanks for your reply Cass. I suppose a stock would be a better investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Sorry Cass but I thought the heavier barrel made for better accuracy do to it being more stable on recoil...........allegedly. And if you run out of ammo you can always take them out with a good swing:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply Cass. I suppose a stock would be a better investment.
    I'm no expert. I can only give an opinion and see what others think.

However for rimfires, and again thinking of a sporting/hunting set up not some BR system, i'd be thinking that barrel weight can only be an issue for carrying and not accuracy.

I'm not really saying this well, but if i get ragged holes or clover leafing at 50 yards and a decent MOA or less at 100 with a .22lr then i'm happy out.

You can improve accuracy with a number of things and a stock would be up there. Bedding is another option, batch testing ammo, etc.
    123shooter wrote: »
    Sorry Cass but I thought the heavier barrel made for better accuracy do to it being more stable on recoil...........allegedly.
    There are a number of advantages to having a heavy barrel rifle. Recoil management is one of them. Stiffer barrel, better harmonics, reduced heat, more shots, etc.

It comes at a cost though. Heavy barrels are, well, heavy. One of my 308s has a beautiful heavy sporter barrel and it's an absolute tack driver but is heavy to lug around all day. Makes free hand shooting that bit more difficult. However for me the trade off it worth it.

Advertisement