Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cauliflower Pizza Base

Options
  • 02-04-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some help with a pizza base. I made the cauliflower pizza from Donal Skehan's book "Fresh" last night, and while it was delicious it wasn't very crisp and didn't hold together well.

Is this normal with cauliflower pizza bases? Does anybody have any recipes that work well?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Never even heard of it, to be honest - wouldn't the cauliflower make it rather wet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

What was the recipe?

Off the top of my head I use a head of cauliflower blended and the water squeezed out of it with a muslin cloth, 1 egg, 50g cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

It was similar to your recipe SB_Part2 - one head of cauliflower, one egg and some 50g goats cheese. I think I mustn't have squeezed out enough water and should possibly have left it in the oven a bit longer. Will try again!

Out of interest how does yours turn out? Is it solid enough to allow you to lift it up (without it falling apart)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Yeh it would be solid but not as solid as a regular pizza.

I would use cheddar instead of goats cheese. It might help bind it a bit better.

Thanks! I'll try it again this weekend - it's a great option for a healthy pizza. I had it with roast veg and goats cheese on top and it was delicious :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

when you rice the cauliflower, put it on a pan for a few minutes and that will dry it out, easier than squeezing the water out.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

its big in low carb circles, there are loads of videos on Youtube. Ive tried it a few times but to be honest I never got the base comparable to a pizza and cauliflower has a bit on an aftertaste so while its nice as a cooked or baked veg as a pizza base I'd only give it a 3/10 but if you were trying to follow a diet its preferable to a dominos :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I've made it a few times and the base has never held up properly and that's despite trying to squeeze out every last drop of water from it. I prefer the quinoa base, I've made it a few times and it has held together much better. There is a recipe for it in the Cookbook club thread

groovyg wrote: »
    I've made it a few times and the base has never held up properly and that's despite trying to squeeze out every last drop of water from it. I prefer the quinoa base, I've made it a few times and it has held together much better. There is a recipe for it in the Cookbook club thread

I hadn't heard of using quinoa before, cheers must give that a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭browne_rob5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjsqeLHS14

I've used that recipe a couple of times before and it worked well and tasted nice. I wouldn't normally go to as much effort while cooking so I found it quite time consuming. I made them in batches of 3 and froze 2 of them for later.

Ou, quinoa base - must try that! I agree that the base isn't perfect but it's a good option when you're looking for a healthy pizza.

Advertisement