Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black jeans to funeral?

• 02-04-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've to attend my girlfriend's grandfather's funeral this week and I've just discovered my only black suit (Other two are grey tweed and a light navy) is slightly too small and ill-fitting. I was just wondering would it be acceptable to wear black jeans with either brown derby shoes or brogues, a shirt/tie and either a jumper (colour?) or blazer over it? Would it appear too casual?

Any other ideas if not? Don't really want to have to buy a new black suit as I'd rarely wear that colour for any future events.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

It's not great but if you wear the shirt tie and blazer it won't be too bad.
    I actually hate the shirt tie and jumper thing that some men have started doing, but even if it was a good look, jeans and a jumper would be too casual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wear the blue suit, with a navy tie.
    Or have a trawl through the local V de P for a black suit. If you get a good one that fits, shouldn't cost more than 25 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

You can rent a suit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Yeah the more I think of it, the more I'm going against the idea. I'll look in Penny's tomorrow at their black suits and if that fails, I'll wear my navy one and get a navy tie as suggested. Thanks, guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You don't need to wear black suit. Grey or navy is perfectly fine. Just get a somber tie.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It doesn't have to be a suit. Smart shirt and tie would be fine. You can buy a pair of black trousers in Dunnes for about €12 if you want. Even jeans and a smart dark shirt would be acceptable.

So long as you look smart and don't appear in a bright red shirt or something then I don't think anyone will notice or care what you are wearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Personally, I think the day of the suit is gone. Once you are dressed well. Plain black jeans, jumper or shirt with blazer is fine in my opinion. I'm not religious so this may influence my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Wear the blue suit rather than wear a Penney's suit, I don't care if that sounds snobby!
    You're not family so a black suit won't be expected (and for lots of families, a black suit wouldn't be expected of immediate members either).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Personally, I think the day of the suit is gone. Once you are dressed well. Plain black jeans, jumper or shirt with blazer is fine in my opinion. I'm not religious so this may influence my opinion.

It really is,unless it's someone close to you smart and somber is all that's required

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Exactly, even when my Dad died it was such a shock I don't own a suit so can't even remember if I wore one tbh.

LastLagoon wrote: »
    It really is,unless it's someone close to you smart and somber is all that's required

• Advertisement
Advertisement