Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough running and surging lawnmower

Options
  • 02-04-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all

I had a problem since last year with a lawnmower which was running rough. It would surge constantly. It's got a Briggs and Stratton 450e engine. I replaced the fuel afresh, I swapped the spark plug, I took the carburetor apart several times and sprayed it with carburetor cleaner, it was soaked in the stuff. Still the mower was the same. I thought it may be a problem further back in the engine since the arm on the automatic throttle went over and back constantly but I didn't have the tools to get at it. After more thread reading and since lacquer can build up inside the unit with old fuel, I decided to order a new carburetor on ebay. I'd little confidence it'd fix it as my own seemed squeaky clean. I bolted it on this morning and the motor is running sweet as a nut. If anyone's troubleshooting this type of thing I'd definitely swap the carburetor. Cost me €35 all in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Good result! I would now bring the old carb to a lawnmower repair man that can clean its parts in an ultrasonic bath. Should cost less than €30. This will then leave you with a spare carb in case of further trouble. You will be able to swap them out and keep mowing with minimum delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Good result! I would now bring the old carb to a lawnmower repair man that can clean its parts in an ultrasonic bath. Should cost less than €30. This will then leave you with a spare carb in case of further trouble. You will be able to swap them out and keep mowing with minimum delay.

He'd be as well off just making sure that there's no fuel in the new carb over the winter in future...prevention better than cure...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 effone

Thanks for the tip Hocus Pocus. I'll look into that. Thought lacquer could build up in a month Exaisle?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Laquer shouldn't build up in normal use. It is caused by fuel being left in the carb when the machine is not in use.
    When you have finished mowing, turn off the fuel valve and let it run until it stops because the fuel in the carb's float chamber has been used up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have left Hondas literally for years & never had a problem. I just cleaned my carb for a similar problem. There was dirt in the emulsion tube - you have to completely dismantle the carb to get to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement