Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placenta previa

Options
  • 02-04-2017 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I am a public system patient and had my public 20 week scan in CUMH. It was the quickest, least detailed scan ever - no suprise. But they deemed me low risk and I can now go to the midwife led, outreach clinic.
    I went for a private scan today and it turns out I have placenta previa - the placenta is low lying (not a complete block) so hoping it will move up as we progress. I cannot believe they missed this in CUMH - fuming.
    Anyway, my question is - should I contact CUMH? Not interested in having a go, but wondering if I am still low risk? The public midwives won't see me now until 32 weeks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

How far along are you now, I am with the Domino scheme in Waterford and a low lying placenta was picked up at my 20 week scan, I see my GP every 8 weeks and my midwife every 8 weeks up until 34 weeks. So see someone every 4 weeks. I have been booked in for a scan at 34 weeks to check placenta location. Hopefully it will have moved. If it was me I would be contacting CUMH and asking about a scan to check placenta location.

Clashmore

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Clashmore wrote:
    How far along are you now, I am with the Domino scheme in Waterford and a low lying placenta was picked up at my 20 week scan, I see my GP every 8 weeks and my midwife every 8 weeks up until 34 weeks. So see someone every 4 weeks. I have been booked in for a scan at 34 weeks to check placenta location. Hopefully it will have moved. If it was me I would be contacting CUMH and asking about a scan to check placenta location.

I am 20 weeks and due to see the GP at 28 and hospital midwife at 32. I am going private again at 28 as I don't trust CUMH. I guess I am wondering if I should tell them in case they want to do anything different.
    If you are on domino it doesn't sound like there is a need then - domino wouldn't take a high risk patient as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

I also had a low lying placenta picked up at 21 weeks. I remained on the usual schedule for midwife-led care (GP at 28 weeks, midwife at 32) but they booked a repeat scan at 34 weeks to check it had moved out of the way, which it had, so I contiued on the same care path for the rest of pregnancy. You won't be classified as high risk unless it remains low after 32-34 weeks, and to reassure you very few do. But I can see why you'd be worried that it wasn't picked up. Contact your maternity unit & let them know, they should offer you a repeat scan around the 34 week mark but insist on it if they don't. It must be clarified where the placenta is as it has serious implications for your birth if it doesn't move, which again it almost certainly will but you have to make sure! If you have any bleeding in meantime let them know about your low placenta otherwise try not to worry, easier said than done I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

I had my little girl 2 and 1/2 years ago in the rotunda that sounds like a really long time to not see a midwife or a gp. I would definitely contact the hospital for another scan because I feel they need to have a record of it and then re-do the scan again at a later date to monitor it. My sister had full obstructive placenta previa and she had to have an emergency section at 36 weeks because of it...but then on the other hand my friend had it till very late and they were booking her into the hospital for bed rest and they scanned her that day and it had moved at 36 weeks so she had a completely normal delivery!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Definitely tell them. Do you have a pic of your 20 week scan? It would be interesting to see if the people who did the private scan could pick it up. I think the 20 week scan should really have picked that up. I had a low lying placenta on the 2nd pregnancy and they wanted me back for another scan further along, I think 34 weeks, but could be wrong, to make sure it had moved and was out of the way. Thankfully it had moved by then. So the hospital definitely need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I am a public system patient and had my public 20 week scan in CUMH. It was the quickest, least detailed scan ever - no suprise. But they deemed me low risk and I can now go to the midwife led, outreach clinic.
    I went for a private scan today and it turns out I have placenta previa - the placenta is low lying (not a complete block) so hoping it will move up as we progress. I cannot believe they missed this in CUMH - fuming.
    Anyway, my question is - should I contact CUMH? Not interested in having a go, but wondering if I am still low risk? The public midwives won't see me now until 32 weeks....

You can ask the private scan people to send a copy of the report to your GP and obstetrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The lack of proper scans is disgusting. I'd demand a much higher level of care from the hospital now. Basically don't leave your next appointment until they providing the care you want not what they think you should put up with.
    My brief experiences with the public system in a Dublin hospital weren't good. I really felt it was a conveyor belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sorry just read about the delay in appointment. When I was diagnosed with PP at 20 weeks I was seen very regularly by my consultant. And told specifically what to do and not do because of it. Go back to the hospital and demand an appointment asap.

Thank you all for your posts.
    I rang the CUMH a few times this morning and cannot get through - it's incredible.
    So I am ringing my GP for advice on what to do. I feel the hospital need to be informed as they will be the ones responsible for delivering baby, no matter how many private scans I get.
    I have a report from the private scan and a picture of the placenta previa so all they have to do is answer the bloody phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I'm in the Northwest and had a scan at 22 weeks with my first that picked up PP. I was re-scanned at 32 weeks to see if it had moved (it had). I'd definitely make them aware (if the clinic that did your private scan haven't already - I had a private scan at 14 weeks and they sent the report to my GP).

• Advertisement

I finally got through to them - so at least they are up to date now. I am having another private scan at 28 weeks. If it has to moved by then I need to contact them and they will decide what to do from there.
    I was told to rest as much as possible to encourage it to move - fat chance with 2 running around me at home!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Have they asked you in for a second scan? Are they just going to let you depend on the private scans? You'd think for their own records they'd want you in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Have they asked you in for a second scan? Are they just going to let you depend on the private scans? You'd think for their own records they'd want you in again.

I would agree with this : I think it's crazy that there's a discrepancy between the scans and that the hospital in charge of the birth don't think that needs to be cleared up right away.

My experience of mixed public/private care (some time ago now) was that there was too much repeating of banal test results "for our own records", but this is very different : their scan may have missed something important, surely they need to check that out?

They are going to depend on the private scans basically. So I am back private at 28 weeks. And CUMH said that if placenta is still low, contact them then so they can decide on what to do. It's very poor - but for now I am sticking with my private gyne because I feel better taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

I am glad you are getting the care you need and it sounds like getting private scans is the right thing for you to do in this situation. But I am genuinely shocked that they aren't scanning you themselves. I would say going forward be your own advocate so you get the care you need- though it so it sounds like you already are!!

Advertisement