Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting to HAP tenant

Options
  • 02-04-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I wanted to know from anyone with experience of renting an apartment to someone on the HAP rental scheme. This property is my only source income and I know I can rent it to a regular tenant but a person on the HAP scheme is desperate for somewhere to live. How is the rent paid, do you have to present it for inspection and how much will housing Dept pay as web site says adult plus kid is €1250 plus 20% extra in special cases. Any help would be great.
    Regards Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Post split out from old thread and moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kf1

I have a tenant under the hap scheme and it all works pretty seamlessly. The council pays you directly on a monthly basis. The property needs to be made available for inspection but inspections have not been too regular. Also, you need to provide yearly tax clearance certificates. The allowances vary according to the area and tenants but you can call the local hap unit for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

anthony199 wrote: »
    I wanted to know from anyone with experience of renting an apartment to someone on the HAP rental scheme. This property is my only source income and I know I can rent it to a regular tenant but a person on the HAP scheme is desperate for somewhere to live. How is the rent paid, do you have to present it for inspection and how much will housing Dept pay as web site says adult plus kid is €1250 plus 20% extra in special cases. Any help would be great.
    Regards Anthony

Hi,
    The one thing you can be gaurenteed is that the first few months will be messy.
    Much depends on which Local Authority, LA, area the property is located. It takes time, months in some cases, to get the property on "the system". While this is happening you could be passed between local authority and Limerick HAP centre.Rent is paid a month behind with HAP, unlike in private world where it is paid in advance. If this family is on the at risk homeless list you will have the reassurance of one the charities stepping in when there are issues. Unlike the LA they understand rent has to paid on time. Charities such as Focus and Threshold do pay the rent in some cases while the LA play with their systems. So my tip would be to meet their key worker and get assurance they can provide the rent in the event of non payment by LA. They often pay the deposit too.
    Inspections again depend on LA, but some self certification is required intially.
    Actual inspections will only happen when the property is on the system and then passed to another department in the LA, so may take upto a year. Ensure you have smoke, heat, CO alarms if gas or oil used. Fire blanket, extingusher and escape plan also required.
    You can claim 100% mortgage interest relief, but only after 3 years for the previous 3 years. You must declare this intention through the RTB in year one.

If you aware of this before it makes it easier and is straightforward.
    Rainer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

rent allowance is paid a month behind to landlords too.
    Do you get a deposit on HAP?
    If there is damage who is responable for it?
    Do you get to pick your tenants?
    I would be asking the local authority those questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

How much is the deposit offered and can you ask for more?

• Advertisement
Advertisement