Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aniar or Loam

Options
  • 02-04-2017 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

testicles wrote: »
    Hey,

Going to Galway for a few days over Easter, and want to tick a Michelin Star off the bucket list. I see there are 2 in the city - Aniar and Loam. Would anyone recommend one over the other?

Cheers

Loam is excellent, haven't been to Aniar as of yet but planning a visit this year. You won't go wrong with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Loam is excellent, haven't been to Aniar as of yet but planning a visit this year. You won't go wrong with either.

It's the other way round for me. Have been to Aniar twice and loved it but haven't been to Loam yet, but definitely want to go soon. With the Food Festival on over Easter town will be full. I suggest going to the restaurant you can get a reservation in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Haven't been to either - but I'd try Loam first. The lad who owns Aniar lets himself down on Twitter and from time to time and that's not behaviour I want to encourage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Both are fantastic OP. Highly recommend either.

Haven't been to either - but I'd try Loam first. The lad who owns Aniar lets himself down on Twitter and from time to time and that's not behaviour I want to encourage.

OP, I'd stop reading here if it's about the food.

Regarding the rest, not sure what this is about is or how relevant it is to your post, but Aniar is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My two cents: Ate in Loam once and the food was truly excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Have eaten in Loam - posh, tiny, and lovely. Don't go in too hungry if you're poor. I would normally be put off what I've read about the owner of Aniar except he's actually sound off of the interwebs. :). Never eaten there so...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Went to Loam. Excellent. I felt underdressed and it wouldn't be my usual jaunt at all but I have to say the food was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Both excellent Anair is smaller and a little more intimate. Loam has the edge very slightly on the food side in my opinion. Go with your mind open and take it for a taste adventure and not a normal restaurant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both excellent, hence the stars :)

Loam, the styling of the restaurant feels more modern.
    Aniar, more cosy and romantic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

testicles wrote: »
    Well, that seals that then!! Thanks for the suggestions all :pac:

Just be aware that they and Loam have a similar ethos to Noma in Denmark i think. If this is a one off i'd personally go for a place more classical in approach.

I haven't eaten there so i'm not passing comment on the quality at all just that the style might not suit .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

They both serve excellent food.

Personally I think Loam is better, but there isn't much between them. I prefer the size of Loam.

Had tasting and wine pair menu in each. Fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Loam all the way!

And contrary to a couple of suggestions above, I dont find Loam in any way posh.... its relaxed and the staff are friendly and the tables are nicely spaced apart. But the food is out of this world, simply outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

McTigs wrote: »
    Loam all the way!

And contrary to a couple of suggestions above, I dont find Loam in any way posh.... its relaxed and the staff are friendly and the tables are nicely spaced apart. But the food is out of this world, simply outstanding

Posh to me is tiny portions on a slate! ;)

But yeah, very relaxed and nice staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

I have been to both - each a special occasion with the other half. Both very good in their own way. Similar in their new "Scandi - Nordic" approach to food.

They certainly differ in terms of physical layout of the premises. Both minimalist rather than plush in decor but Loam, to me, felt like a warehouse or loft done out in a very contemporary "cool" style. Most people I have spoken to either love it or find it unappealing. I tend to the latter. But you certainly have a sense of space and tables are well separated. Aniar is quite tight and, though I wouldn't describe it as "romantic", it is more cosy - albeit with tables quite close together.

I thought the food in Aniar was fab. Loam was very good too but for me in was more amazing in the sense of "how did they do/think of that" sort of way rather than the immediate sensuous experience. I can imagine food professionals enjoying Loam more than the occasional casual diner such as me.

Both expensive in a "special occasion" sort of way - but that's ok too. What they do they do well - and each will have their own preference.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    OP, I'd stop reading here if it's about the food.

Regarding the rest, not sure what this is about is or how relevant it is to your post, but Aniar is excellent.

If it's about the food, then either place will be grand with those stars.

But if you also care about customer service then have a read here: http://www.dailyedge.ie/aniar-galway-no-shows-twitter-reaction-1614981-Aug2014/

IMHO its totally relevant. Make sure you read right to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

But if you also care about customer service then have a read here: http://www.dailyedge.ie/aniar-galway-no-shows-twitter-reaction-1614981-Aug2014/

The customer service in Aniar is first rate. I also think he was justified to be annoyed. It is a small place that still has to pay for quite a lot of staff, so half of the bookings not showing up is a serious loss for them.
    You have brought up this old story before, why? Were you ever in Aniar? Do you realise how much JP McMahon has done for the food and restaurant scene in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Loam, without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

In general I find JP McMahon to be up his own h*le and I wouldn't be too fond of him, at least the persona that he gives off online.

Having said that as someone who has worked in the service industry I would be completely in agreement with him in this instance. It is really bad form from customers to do this and it directly cost a business that is trying to cover rent, wages and rates, (in this case it's probably a loss of about €400). It's also important to note that this happens during race week when cancelations happen a lot by people who have either booked multiple places, and just go to whichever suits best at the time, or in this case are just too busy getting pissed in the pub to be arsed going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Interesting thread - have eaten in neither but definitely on the list for this year...
    It is a small place that still has to pay for quite a lot of staff, so half of the bookings not showing up is a serious loss for them.

I was out with a group (8) for a meal in Tribeton at the weekend and the person booking actually had to place a €50 deposit to reserve the table. If no-shows are a problem I can see this approach becoming more common.

I thought the service in both very good - professional yet relaxed, helpful and informed.

Just to note to the OP. As you are visiting over Easter and bookings may be tight, you might also consider Le Petit Pois - excellent food and a relaxed place. If seafood is your thing, then Oscar's is also very good.

b.gud wrote: »
    In general I find JP McMahon to be up his own h*le and I wouldn't be too fond of him, at least the persona that he gives off online.

Having said that as someone who has worked in the service industry I would be completely in agreement with him in this instance. It is really bad form from customers to do this and it directly cost a business that is trying to cover rent, wages and rates, (in this case it's probably a loss of about €400). It's also important to note that this happens during race week when cancelations happen a lot by people who have either booked multiple places, and just go to whichever suits best at the time, or in this case are just too busy getting pissed in the pub to be arsed going

Well he should get off his a** and take a booking deposit or credit card swipe then, it aint rocket science.

And I'll expect he easily enough filled those empty seats with walkups.

Customer service is fantastic in Aniar. You've already said you weren't in either so I think others are better equipped to give opinions on this topic.

Can't disagree with the owner there tbh. I quite like straight up honesty like that. Just because you are offended by imo nothing doesn't mean others will be.

It's amazing how the most easy question on this forum gets sidetracked.

J o e wrote: »
    Interesting thread - have eaten in neither but definitely on the list for this year...

I was out with a group (8) for a meal in Tribeton at the weekend and the person booking actually had to place a €50 deposit to reserve the table. If no-shows are a problem I can see this approach becoming more common.

A deposit is a good idea. No shows for a top restaurant could cost a them an absolute fortune.

A lot of restaurants ring the day or so before to check if you're definitely going anyway so saying you'll arrive and then not bothering is poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Hi OP
    The most important info on this thread for you is not which of them are better but the fact that both are a Scandinavian style of food.
    Its a bit like music or painting, there is not one style of michelin restaurant.
    As its your first michelin experience please be aware of this, its not the restaurant fault if thus style of cooking does not suit your taste.
    I've eaten in both and really like both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Have been to Loam and enjoyed it overall although I did find the food in my case was not up my street. I am not a fan of liver and onions no matter how it is cooked and where it is served. I liked the peat ice cream though.

Had plans to go to Aniar until I read this
    http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/ive-found-plenty-of-my-staff-having-sex-in-the-restaurant-irish-michelin-star-chef-jp-mcmahon-35088841.html

There's no fcuk@ng way I would entertain the thought of eating a Michelin star meal in a restaurant where the head chef and owner condones this type of unhygienic behaviour. I don't need to be wondering if someone's arse has been planted on the table at which I hope to enjoy a culinary experience and pay expensively for the privilege. It was a poorly judged comment probably done for publicity I know, but it ruined it for me.

• Advertisement

Well, I did say I found the food more sensuous in Aniar - perhaps now I know why! Anyway, if this is the way for the staff to stay happy and to produce delicious food, long may they keep it up.......oops !

Advertisement