Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone go to see April

• 02-04-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭

any one go to see April wilkerson in naas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

Did you go see her? any good, or just pure add venture ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

mashed13 wrote: »

I see her on U tube and she is a competent carpenter. I'll leave it at that :rolleyes: Went up to Naas last week and was pretty disappointed at the timber stock - they are down to basics at steep prices. Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I did. Lovely person.
    It was great to talk to her.
    She has so.e great insights and a great way of looking at things.
    It's great to hear some of the behind the camera stuff. Some of it is concerning but that's trolls for you

recipio wrote: »

I see her on U tube and she is a competent carpenter. I'll leave it at that :rolleyes: Went up to Naas last week and was pretty disappointed at the timber stock - they are down to basics at steep prices. Pity.
    I noticed that myself.
    A year ago there was a lot more choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I noticed that myself.
    A year ago there was a lot more choice.

Consequences of Brexit? Last time I was at the timber yard they were concerned about what that was going to do to their logistics and pricing.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Consequences of Brexit? Last time I was at the timber yard they were concerned about what that was going to do to their logistics and pricing.

If anything, the drop in sterling should be in their favour.? Its hard to get small quantities of nice woods. Its nearly worth driving over to one of the UK shows where there is always a great selection. Harrogate in November is the best but a rotten time of the year.

recipio wrote: »
    If anything, the drop in sterling should be in their favour.? Its hard to get small quantities of nice woods. Its nearly worth driving over to one of the UK shows where there is always a great selection. Harrogate in November is the best but a rotten time of the year.

Nah. The wood gets imported from the continent to the UK and Irish yards then buy from the UK (neither us nor the UK actually grow enough wood to meet even a few percent of our needs). So brexit comes in and the choice is either to pay extra to the UK dealer because of the 30% tarrifs on the wood from the continent, then re-export it from the UK to the EU when coming home which would be even more work and possibly might incur more duties and so forth; or to go to the continent directly which might be more logistics work in terms of shipping distances/costs and so on. The drop in Sterling doesn't help too much for more than a week or so (the UK just puts up their prices in response to the fall in sterling). And going to NI wouldn't help either, you'd just save on the ferry ticket which'd be the smallest part of the price hike.

i bought a lovely box of exotic pen and blottle stopper blanks there last year. great value.

some lovely timber. nearly all gone now
    really wish i bought a few boxs.

Sparks wrote: »
    Nah. The wood gets imported from the continent to the UK and Irish yards then buy from the UK (neither us nor the UK actually grow enough wood to meet even a few percent of our needs). So brexit comes in and the choice is either to pay extra to the UK dealer because of the 30% tarrifs on the wood from the continent, then re-export it from the UK to the EU when coming home which would be even more work and possibly might incur more duties and so forth; or to go to the continent directly which might be more logistics work in terms of shipping distances/costs and so on. The drop in Sterling doesn't help too much for more than a week or so (the UK just puts up their prices in response to the fall in sterling). And going to NI wouldn't help either, you'd just save on the ferry ticket which'd be the smallest part of the price hike.

God almighty, the stuff is expensive enough already.:D I buy turning blanks and ship them via parcel motel. If internet shopping is hit with tariffs its a sad day for us amateurs.

It gets worse, the news from the lumber market in the US is that everything there is jumping over the next few months as well because of US-Canada tariffs on softwood being raised somewhere between 5% and 35% (this has already started), and the timber yards anticipate prices then raising on all other hardwoods as well afterwards sympathetically. And that's on top of some of their hardwood prices (like for american black walnut) already looking to spike because of high demand and falling supply.

(Oh, and Parcel Motel and Addresspal to the UK may be fun once article 50 completes and they're then effectively shipping across the EU border...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement