Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Paramedic Recruitment February 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Was talking to a paramedic. He was a bit vague but he did say there will be plenty of more recruitment drives and classes should be running every 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

Student Paramedic campaign just went live. Closing date 7th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Best of luck to anyone applying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

Just out of curiosity with the regularlity of the paramedic recruitment is there a mass exodus of paramedics or was it just that it was so chronically understaffed for the last few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

mojopin10 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity with the regularlity of the paramedic recruitment is there a mass exodus of paramedics or was it just that it was so chronically understaffed for the last few years?

Understaffed anyway then staff leaving not getting enough people applying as a lot of people don't want to take the chance of been sent to the otherside of the country to work

• Advertisement

Was just wondering, those of you guys that got a place on the panel, how do you personally feel about being sent to the other side of the country in the worst case scenario? There is no choice in that matter so how would you manage if you have a family?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr ice

Was just wondering, those of you guys that got a place on the panel, how do you personally feel about being sent to the other side of the country in the worst case scenario? There is no choice in that matter so how would you manage if you have a family?

I'm going back in in the next week or so for second phecc exams so will be finding out my station in the next couple of weeks.

Before joining I knew this would be a possibility but if you sign up to the game you have to play the game.

It's easy for me to say that though as wherever I lay my hat is my home so no commitments. Things do seem to be getting slightly better though as opposed to the horror stories of the last few years.

If you want to be a paramedic and are lucky to get onto panel you just have to play with the hand your dealt! Im 43, 3 kids so will have to do that. Just hope maybe i can get placed somewhere between limerick and tralee radius

Anyone taking the aptitudes next Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trotskyite1

I am there thursday

• Advertisement

I am there thursday

What time is yours ?

11am. been practising the tests just now; the time limit makes them very difficult. hey ho

11am. been practising the tests just now; the time limit makes them very difficult. hey ho

I’m at 10:00am. Is this your first time taking them? Yeah especially on the verbal.

I’m at 10:00am. Is this your first time taking them? Yeah especially on the verbal.

yeah first time. i'm pretty hot on the scales test but yeah the verbal reasoning even after doing the test 20 times I still only get 4 out of 6 so I guess I am not thinking in the correct manner :)
    There's only so much you can do though in such a short time, for me anyway.

yeah first time. i'm pretty hot on the scales test but yeah the verbal reasoning even after doing the test 20 times I still only get 4 out of 6 so I guess I am not thinking in the correct manor :)
    There's only so much you can do though in such a short time, for me anyway.

Yeah I was the same this is my second time taking the tests. Looking for the catch in every question lol. It’s recommended quality over quantity anyway so better to get more accurate than finish the whole test and have many wrong. Negative Marking and all that.

Do you know for sure they do negative mark? do they negative mark for skipping i wonder?

Yeah I was the same this is my second time taking the tests. Looking for the catch in every question lol. It’s recommended quality over quantity anyway so better to get more accurate than finish the whole test and have many wrong. Negative Marking and all that.
    actually I meant to ask are the real questions equally hard as the practice iyo?

Do you know for sure they do negative mark? do they negative mark for skipping i wonder?

According to the Cut-e website they use negative marking. Points are awarded for every correct answer and points deducted for every wrong answer. If you look at one poster earlier here, they only managed to get 30/42 done in the verbal and passed the aptitude, while I finished the whole test and didn’t make it through. This suggests quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

The advice that I would give is that yes, it's a balls getting stationed far away from home and sometimes the decisions made about locations seem totally off the wall.....but stick with it. There are lots of interns moving through my station now and most seem to get a transfer that suits them.....might not suit them perfectly but it's an improvement.

Personally if I was running the show I would advertise regionally....like maybe the old Health Board areas. At least then you could just wait until your preferred region is advertised.

Anyway, take it on the chin and don't despair....it gets better.

• Advertisement

How did everyone find the aptitudes today? 106 tested altogether not including people that didn’t show up or got turned away.

How did everyone find the aptitudes today? 106 tested altogether not including people that didn’t show up or got turned away.
    I was happy enough. think I answered around 37 from verbal and 9 out of logic , no way on the last few could have had all day. I had 9 mins on last 4 and still only got 1.

I was happy enough. think I answered around 37 from verbal and 9 out of logic , no way on the last few could have had all day. I had 9 mins on last 4 and still only got 1.

Same with me answered around that on the verbal and couldn’t get the last 3 on the logical. They were impossible couldn’t figure out the pattern. I left the last 3 blank just Incase they use negative marking. Now the long wait until Wednesday.

Same with me answered around that on the verbal and couldn’t get the last 3 on the logical. They were impossible couldn’t figure out the pattern. I left the last 3 blank just Incase they use negative marking. Now the long wait until Wednesday.
    Most people I talked to thought it was hard so maybe we did ok 😄

Most people I talked to thought it was hard so maybe we did ok 😄

Yeah that’s the best way of looking at it. It’s marked on a curve so the pass rate changes according to how well the whole group does.
    Will ge interesting to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Not sure how the verbal reasoning went, I answered all the questions but feel I may have gotten some of the more ambiguous ones wrong. I'm not sure how much time I had left but I didn't bother going through my answers again as I'd probably be as likely to make a right answer wrong as to make a wrong answer right. Does the time taken to complete it factor in at all?

I'd say I was fine with the logic ones, I had four minutes left on those and was happy with my logic with each. I think we'll be getting emails today, yes?

ectoraige wrote: »
    Not sure how the verbal reasoning went, I answered all the questions but feel I may have gotten some of the more ambiguous ones wrong. I'm not sure how much time I had left but I didn't bother going through my answers again as I'd probably be as likely to make a right answer wrong as to make a wrong answer right. Does the time taken to complete it factor in at all?

I'd say I was fine with the logic ones, I had four minutes left on those and was happy with my logic with each. I think we'll be getting emails today, yes?
    The time taken is a factor but most people wouldn't finish. I didn't because I was told there was negative marking for incorrect answers. Email says results by wed 4th.

The time taken is a factor but most people wouldn't finish. I didn't because I was told there was negative marking for incorrect answers. Email says results by wed 4th.

It’s marked on a t-score so accuracy vs speed. Yeah results out by Wednesday.

Anyone hear anything about test results?

• Advertisement

Anyone hear anything about test results?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanreadie

Anyone know when the next intake of student paramedics would be?

Just got test results.😉

Just got test results.😉

How did you do?

Hana98 wrote: »
    How did you do?
    I passed!

Congratulations! Do you know when the interview will be?

• Advertisement

Congratulations! Do you know when the interview will be?
    thanks :) specific date will be in the letter they send out but it's in the week of the 16th

Just saw the email there now too, says letters for interviews were to be posted yesterday, no specific test results mentioned, just that I'd passed, so hopefully something in the door Monday.

Have yous got your interview dates?

The interviews were last week

• Advertisement

How did they go? Did yous get results back?

How did they go? Did yous get results back?

I thought they went well but who can be sure? I was happy walking out so I did the best I could have done. Results next Wednesday

Yeah you can only do your best. It'll be a long wait.

Done Thursday, said all I could say, wait and see now.

EOIs out for ballinasloe for end of jan and I believe tallagh course to come mid/end feb. The long wait for some will be over !

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ziballz87

Hey did anyone else here get an email today about ballinasloe?

Yes! Can't believe it. 24 places. Probably won't take it but exciting regardless!

In the email it says
    If you are asked to proceed to (pre-employment clearances) and choose to decline at this stage, you will retain your place on the panel.
    I thought formerly you were taken from the panel. Even in documents it said that you would be removed if you expressed interest and later decided against.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 blackprawn

What is the length of time between responding to an EOI and receiving further instructions? Also if someone who has already gone through the process reads this, would they be able to outline what lies ahead please?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

blackprawn wrote: »
    What is the length of time between responding to an EOI and receiving further instructions? Also if someone who has already gone through the process reads this, would they be able to outline what lies ahead please?

EOI's had to be back by 4pm on Wednesday and those that were successful got word yesterday so less than 24 hours. I think it has been the same for all other campaigns, unless anyone knows any different?

If you jump over onto the Student Paramedic 2016 thread there is loads of info there regarding what happens next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement