Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SD card "not formatted" after printing pictures from it

• 02-04-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have a micro-SD card (with adapter) in my Cannon Rebel XS camera. I took the card out to print some pictures from it - printed using printing machine in the local chemist.

All that went fine. However, when I put the card back in the camera I get a message saying that the "card is not formatted". When I try to view the card using the built-in SD card reader on my laptop the card does not appear to be detected.

Anyone any ideas what has happened? And have I lost any pictures I had on the card?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Sounds like the card has corrupted when reading at the print machine.

Storing images on a card in the camera is not reccomended. You should download after each shoot and reformat the card.

How many images were on the card since the last download?

There is recovery software available. Try some of them to see what you can recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tmh106

CabanSail wrote: »
    How many images were on the card since the last download?

Probably about 50-60 - everything since start of year.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    There is recovery software available. Try some of them to see what you can recover.

Anything you particularly recommend?

Thanks CabanSail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

tmh106 wrote: »

Anything you particularly recommend?

Thanks CabanSail.

I have used Recuva in the past, works quite well

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tmh106

Last night my wife found a micro-SD card on the floor. Popped it into the adapter and hey-presto all picture are back. Micro-SD must have fallen out of the adapter without my noticing when I was putting it back in the camera.

Glad to have the pictures "back" but feeling a little foolish for not checking something so obvious. Thanks again for the replies above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Good news. From now on you will probably back up more frequently. Best practice is to format the card after each download/back-up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement