Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle hire Portugal

Options
  • 02-04-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience hiring bikes in Algarve?
    Looking at decent road bike and bringing my own shoes,
    Not sure of cost etc.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gekko1

Kevin

Try Avalanche Bike Hire Algarve. Guys name is Rui. Top man. I paid €180 for 8 days for full carbon brand new BH road bike last summer. €100 deposit. Included pedals, puncture repair kit & lock. Included delivery & pickup

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Hi,

What part of the Algarve?

Stayed in Tavira a few years ago and rented from Abilio Bikes. The delivered / collected from the hotel, and from memory the prices were very reasonable. They supplied the pedals (of your choice), repair kits etc. and had helmets to rent also.

Had both carbon and alloy bikes, I went with the Orbea alloy.

G'co

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Used these guys last year - nice bike and supplied a track pump which was a nice touch. Based somewhere around Almancil but deliver!

https://www.swiftmomentumsports.com/racing-bike-hire-algarve/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Make sure it comes with pedals!
    Rented one last year for a week and had to get a taxi to a bike shop and buy them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I dealt with bikeland http://bikeland.pt/rentabike/ thru email and got a full carbon trek, the guy said he would deliver at 6pm and he was there at 5:55
    When he was due to collect it was exactly the same

• Advertisement

Make sure it comes with pedals!
    Rented one last year for a week and had to get a taxi to a bike shop and buy them.:mad:

I would always bring my own ... and I think most regular cyclists would?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

C3PO wrote: »
    I would always bring my own ... and I think most regular cyclists would?

Are you saying that I am not a regular cyclist?! :eek:

I cycle thousands of KM a year, but don't hire bikes too often. That's why I was giving the OP some advice - so he wouldn't make the same mistake I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Gasco wrote: »
    Hi,

What part of the Algarve?

Stayed in Tavira a few years ago and rented from Abilio Bikes. The delivered / collected from the hotel, and from memory the prices were very reasonable. They supplied the pedals (of your choice), repair kits etc. and had helmets to rent also.

Had both carbon and alloy bikes, I went with the Orbea alloy.

G'co

Gonna be quite close to alvor, thanks for advice. I was gonna bring my shoes&pedals just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Used these guys last year - nice bike and supplied a track pump which was a nice touch. Based somewhere around Almancil but deliver!

https://www.swiftmomentumsports.com/racing-bike-hire-algarve/
    I used Swift as well last August when I was in Algarve. I was based in Albufeira and they delivered/collected the bike without extra any cost to my hotel.

I rented alu/105 bike from them for the week. I first opted for carbon/Ultegra but there were problems with that bike beyond their control and so I got the bike with lower spec instead, this all was very well communicated and managed. Cost was very reasonable and the bike very well kept. Helpful fellow who delivered the bike even had range of stems available to ensure that the bike fits correctly.

Definitely recommend them :)

Are you saying that I am not a regular cyclist?! :eek:

I cycle thousands of KM a year, but don't hire bikes too often. That's why I was giving the OP some advice - so he wouldn't make the same mistake I did.

Apologies .... you're right! Given the myriad of different pedal types out there most bike hire companies (other than basic bikes with flat pedals) will assume that you will bring your own!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Apologies .... you're right! Given the myriad of different pedal types out there most bike hire companies (other than basic bikes with flat pedals) will assume that you will bring your own!

Good heavens. Must add to my packing list. Tops in one side of the blue bag, trousers/shorts/skirt in the other. Underwear in one side of the green bag, socks in the other. Raincoat, scarf, hat, gloves. Sandals. Togs for a swim. Inhaler and pills, toothbrush and toothpaste and shampoo. Maps and schedules. Passport and tickets and boarding passes and money and cards and phone and iPad in shoulder bag. Pedals & bike tools.

Pedals?????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Used these guys for 3 years now. info@swiftmomentumsports.com
    I got Carbon with Ultegra is €170 for 7 days. That was with the bike cages, foot pump, bike pump, bottles, tubes and they will come to meet you.
    I sent them my bike fit and they setup the bike. Brought my own pedals and he put them on and torqued them.
    I was in Alvor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

When I rented there I didn't need pedals.
    The girl came out in a van and asked me what pedals I wanted for the bike. She then put them on, adjusted the saddle and let me see if the bike fitted ok.

Helmet was also supplied for few quid but I needed my road shoes.

Advertisement