Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 day tenant: I think my room was used this weekend

Options
  • 02-04-2017 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I'm renting a room in a house with a family. Its Monday to Friday and I pay extra to stay up this weekend. This weekend I decided to stay up but then to discover the parents are away and the children turning it into party central, I decided staying would not be good idea. Anyhow, I came back tonight to discover stuff moved around the room, a coat I had left on my bed was moved, so clearly someone either slept in or on my bed. Either way someone/people were in the room when I was not there. I have no contract or that but obviously I don't go floating around the other peoples bedroom when I'm there. I took a video of the room yesterday before I left and can see things been moved. Should I just approach the owner and say I realise people have slept in my bed when I wasn't there and I don't really like it. She will turn around and likely say they can do what they want with the room when I'm not paying for the weekend but obviously all my stuff and bed stuff were on the bed. I just think its very cheeky and want to nip it in the bud. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

bs2014 wrote: »
    I'm renting a room in a house with a family. Its Monday to Friday and I pay extra to stay up this weekend. This weekend I decided to stay up but then to discover the parents are away and the children turning it into party central, I decided staying would not be good idea. Anyhow, I came back tonight to discover stuff moved around the room, a coat I had left on my bed was moved, so clearly someone either slept in or on my bed. Either way someone/people were in the room when I was not there. I have no contract or that but obviously I don't go floating around the other peoples bedroom when I'm there. I took a video of the room yesterday before I left and can see things been moved. Should I just approach the owner and say I realise people have slept in my bed when I wasn't there and I don't really like it. She will turn around and likely say they can do what they want with the room when I'm not paying for the weekend but obviously all my stuff and bed stuff were on the bed. I just think its very cheeky and want to nip it in the bud. Thanks in advance.

Do you not have a key to your room? Had you paid for the weekend in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you only rent Monday to Friday then you should clear the room on a friday unless you have an alternative agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Do you not have a key to your room? Had you paid for the weekend in question?

No key on the door, I was told I wouldn't need it. Thats perhaps cuz the owner can go in every friday to turn off the radiator and then back in on a sunday to turn it back on! No I didn't pay for the night in question.

athtrasna wrote: »
    If you only rent Monday to Friday then you should clear the room on a friday unless you have an alternative agreement

My arrangement is that I leave my stuff in the room. I only take washing and whatever bits I need myself for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No key on the door, I was told I wouldn't need it. Thats perhaps cuz the owner can go in every friday to turn off the radiator and then back in on a sunday to turn it back on! No I didn't pay for the night in question.

Well if you aren't paying for the room on a full time basis then in all honesty explain how you think you have exclusive rights to it?

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Well if you aren't paying for the room on a full time basis then in all honesty explain how you think you have exclusive rights to it?

I don't have exclusive rights, but I don't expect people going in and moving my belongings and sleeping in or on my bed with bed linen when I'm not there. Regardless of the money side. <mod snip>

Mod note

OP we ask that posters remain civil and post constructively. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mojoeback

I think it's fair to ask the parents if your room is being used by others while you are not there at weekends.

If they say, no one can use it, then I think it;s fair to bring up subject of persons being in in your room last weekend.

it seems to me that they will charge you extra for weekends if you stay but not let it out to others if you don't. that needs to be clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Unfortunately it is correct to say that although you rent Monday - Friday, the room is available for use by the LL at the weekends.

Obviously your stuff shouldn't be messed with but the extent of the duty of care amounts to not damaging your property rather than not moving/ using the room. Common sense would mean that bedsheets are changed etc. But they do have the legal right to use the room unless you have specifically contracted to do otherwise.

That being said, you can obviously talk to the LL about it, the least you would expect that bed linen is changed if the room is used, also you might request a lock for the wardrobe etc. But you should leave the room clear for use by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

What you need to do is inform the landlord that you want a 7 day arrangement. This would remove any ambiguity. You can then get a key without accusing aNyone of A repeat of the above.

• Advertisement

jimd2 wrote: »
    What you need to do is inform the landlord that you want a 7 day arrangement. This would remove any ambiguity. You can then get a key without accusing aNyone of A repeat of the above.
    I'm paying 500e a month Monday to Friday so I'm not willing to pay another 200e a month for that privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bs2014 wrote:
    I'm paying 500e a month Monday to Friday so I'm not willing to pay another 200e a month for that privilege.

If that's the case then can you see what is illogical about what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

They are absolutely not allowed to let someone sleep using your duvet, pillow and linens. If they want to let the room at the weekend they need to provide these things. I would be repulsed if a stranger was sleeping in my bed two nights a week without changing into their own sheets.

They are absolutely not allowed to let someone sleep using your duvet, pillow and linens.

Not allowed by who? It's not a legislative thing, the OP is a Monday to Friday licensee.

It's not pleasant but the OP isn't paying for exclusive 7 day occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not allowed by who? It's not a legislative thing, the OP is a Monday to Friday licensee.

It's not pleasant but the OP isn't paying for exclusive 7 day occupation.

But he is paying to be treated with a modicum of dignity and respect. Basically wearing and dirtying his clothes while he's away isn't acceptable in my view.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP could take his belongings with him on the days he's not prepared to pay for the room.

But he is paying to be treated with a modicum of dignity and respect. Basically wearing and dirtying his clothes while he's away isn't acceptable in my view.

You said not allowed, now you're saying it's your opinion. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

That's not what you said in your op.
    In your op you said you paid extra to stay up this weekend.
    Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Sounds like the youngsters let their friends shag in your room. The parents probably wouldn't be too happy to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Next time you go away strip your bed of all bedding and lock them away in the wardrobe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They are absolutely not allowed to let someone sleep using your duvet, pillow and linens. If they want to let the room at the weekend they need to provide these things. I would be repulsed if a stranger was sleeping in my bed two nights a week without changing into their own sheets.

I foresee a supreme court case with a.multi-million payout for the op.

Or more likely, a do not resuss directive for this thread.

I don't have exclusive rights, but I don't expect people going in and moving my belongings and sleeping in or on my bed with bed linen when I'm not there. Regardless of the money side. <mod snip>

If you are not paying for it , then it's not your bed

Hence at the weekend the landlord can do what he wants with his room.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There is a previous precedence, the case of the three bears vs goldilocks.

Seriously though, 5 day or not, I wouldn't be happy sharing sheets with a stranger. Bring it up with the LL, and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

OP, you could say to the owners " I understood the room was exclusively mine and the rent reduction of 200 was because I am not actually using it at weekends". Say "I did not understand that you would allow other people to use the room at weekends". See what they say- that may have been the owners understanding also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cogotazo

As far as I understood, it only happened once last weekend, when the parents were away, and there was kind of a party. So was this an isolated case, or a common practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

As others have said, ask the Landlord.

If you are only paying for Monday to Friday then you are out of luck, as with all things akin to AirBNB they should at least let you know if they use the room at the weekend, and make sure all things are cleaned and changed before you get back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think you're out of luck OP. Unless you pay for the weekend then the room can be used. Personally I would take the bed linen off the bed each time you go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Was your bed definitely slept in or was your coat just moved? It's entirely possible your room was just used as the "coat room" during the party and your coat got moved with people looking for theirs at the end of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would be taking the bed linen with me to be washed anyway. Who leaves bed linen on the bed for more than a week?

My understanding of such an arrangement is that while the room is not being used each weekend by the OP, the reduction of rent is due to the fact that he is not there, using heat and other facilities. In my mind, it would not be the case that the room can be used by anyone else and access is only granted to the LL to turn on/off the radiator (which is very cheap imo).

Needs to be cleared with the LL, isolated incident or not.

Advertisement