Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 day tenant: I think my room was used this weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This sounds like a horrible arrangement but you would have nonsay what happens in the room over the weekend or any nights you don't pay for it.
    It's your bed 5 nights a week and theirs to do what they please with for the other two.

Would you not start paying for it full time and then you would have control over what happens in it and could expect to lock it when your not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

athtrasna wrote: »
    If you only rent Monday to Friday then you should clear the room on a friday unless you have an alternative agreement

My son rents a room Mon - Fri. He lives in that room. All his stuff is in that room. There is no question of anyone ever entering his room at the weekend. Explain how it would be practical to load up all his stuff every weekend and drive 100 miles home and then do the reverse on Sunday night. Would you accept if you were renting a room Monday - Friday that it was ok for someone else to be shagging their brains out on Saturday night in 'your' bed with or without your bed linen just because you don't have exclusive rights. It was always my understanding that the Mon-Fri thing was to afford the owners a weekend without the lodger, not so that they could re let the room.

OP if you can't get any satisfaction with the LL, start looking for another room. What you have experienced is not the norm. TBH the thought that some scrote was sleeping in my bed would make my skin crawl. I'm not sure I'd want to hang around for too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I'd be pretty black and white in this: you're renting 5 days a week, so exclusivity and no access to the room by your LL on the other 2 days are non existent.You'd have to rent full time if you want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's no doubt about this, the owners want a Mon-Fri arrangement to have the house to themselves at weekends.

You really need to talk with them.

They'll probably be horrified that the kids partied and maybe had a friend stay over in your room.

Talk to the landlord.

If it was me, I'd be putting a lock on the door - doesn't have to be obtrusive - http://www.ie.screwfix.com/smith-locke-cadenza-lob-lock-door-handles-pair-polished-chrome.html is cheap and doesn't look wrong in a private house - and apologising profusely to you, and giving the kids hell. Mon-Fri lodgers aren't that easy to come by!

goz83 wrote: »
    I would be taking the bed linen with me to be washed anyway. Who leaves bed linen on the bed for more than a week?

The vast majority of people I would imagine, changing sheets every week under normal circumstances would be total overkill however in this instance and annoying as it is I think removing them is the best course of action.

Even if the op just puts them away and puts them back on the bed again rather than having to bring them home and wash them at least he knows someone else isn't sleeping on them.
    emeldc wrote: »
    My son rents a room Mon - Fri. He lives in that room. All his stuff is in that room. There is no question of anyone ever entering his room at the weekend. Explain how it would be practical to load up all his stuff every weekend and drive 100 miles home and then do the reverse on Sunday night. Would you accept if you were renting a room Monday - Friday that it was ok for someone else to be shagging their brains out on Saturday night in 'your' bed with or without your bed linen just because you don't have exclusive rights. It was always my understanding that the Mon-Fri thing was to afford the owners a weekend without the lodger, not so that they could re let the room.

OP if you can't get any satisfaction with the LL, start looking for another room. What you have experienced is not the norm. TBH the thought that some scrote was sleeping in my bed would make my skin crawl. I'm not sure I'd want to hang around for too much longer.

It's not uncommon at all for B&Bs to have weekday guests every week who have to pack up on Friday so the rooms can be booked over the weekend by weekend visitors. Especially B&Bs near grind schools I've seen have this setup.

Realiatically this needed to be cleared at the start. In a lot of these cases the reason for a 5 day let is for the owners to have the place to themselves but there are people who may want the use of the room, for instance their own son or daughter might be home at weekends and need the room etc.

• Advertisement

It's not uncommon at all for B&Bs to have weekday guests every week who have to pack up on Friday aonthe rooms can be booked over the weekend by weekend visitors. Especially B&Bs near grind schools I've seen have this setup.

Where does the OP say it's a B&B. No point in trying to come up with reasons why the Op should ship out at the weekend. If he/she was not told to move everything out at the weekend then the owners should afford him the respect he deserves by keeping his room private. What if the OP is female. Would it be OK for some perv to rummage through her knicker drawer. Gross.

Where does the OP say it's a B&B. No point in trying to come up with reasons why the Op should ship out at the weekend. If he/she was not told to move everything out at the weekend then the owners should afford him the respect he deserves by keeping his room private. What if the OP is female. Would it be OK for some perv to rummage through her knicker drawer. Gross.

It was more directed at the poster saying it would be unheard of for people to pack up their stuff every weekend and bring it home and the same on Sunday evening/Monday morning.

If you are in a scenario where it's a 5 day let and the room might be used you just bring enough clothes etc for the week and bring them home again rather than having a big heap of stuff. I'm sure a locakable press could be arranged for a few items you don't want bringing home like a radio etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

If you're only paying for Monday-Friday then you have no say in what happens in the room on a Saturday and Sunday.

My suggestion would be to put a lock on a wardrobe in the room (with the owners permission).
    Then when you're leaving on a Friday, roll up your duvet and put it in the wardrobe along with your pillows and bed sheet. Plus anything of value.

That way if anyone is sleeping in the room on the days you're not paying for it, they won't have the choice of using your sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Thanks for the suggestion. Its not a B&B. The parents were aware of the party so I'm assuming they also were aware of people making use of my room. I wonder did any of the party goers crash on the parents bed....I suspect not.

bs2014 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion. Its not a B&B. The parents were aware of the party so I'm assuming they also were aware of people making use of my room. I wonder did any of the party goers crash on the parents bed....I suspect not.

I wouldn't be so sure, when I'd have had house parties when the parents were away all rooms would get used including my parents. Usually I would sleep in it myself and let someone else have my room but it would still be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I had the same kind of set up when I was in college...4 nights a week in a family home..I know the family I stayed with would use my room on occasion if they had guests over during the weekend..nothing I could do about it..
    What I used to was drop my bedding into laundrette on Friday mornings before I headed home and pick it up Mondays..I got myself a small lockable chest which I left my stuff in over weekend...my bed and room were always clean and left the way I left it on a Friday..
    Have a word with landlord and ask if the room was used and if it will used at weekends on a regular basis...up to you then to secure your stuff over weekends once you are clear on who uses the room..
    It's sounds like they might only use it on occasion or when needed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Surely it would take all of approximately 3 minutes to have an adult conversation with the homeowners.

You're obviously of the opinion that the room is exclusively yours 7 days a week while paying for 5.
    The homeowners appear to be of the opinion that the room is theirs to use on the days you're not paying for it.

You can either tell them your expectations and see if they agree.
    Accept the room is only yours on the days you pay for it.
    Pay for the exclusive use of the room 7 days a week.
    Seek alternative accommodation elsewhere.

Graham wrote: »
    Surely it would take all of approximately 3 minutes to have an adult conversation with the homeowners.

You're obviously of the opinion that the room is exclusively yours 7 days a week while paying for 5.
    The homeowners appear to be of the opinion that the room is theirs to use on the days you're not paying for it.

You can either tell them your expectations and see if they agree.
    Accept the room is only yours on the days you pay for it.
    Pay for the exclusive use of the room 7 days a week.
    Seek alternative accommodation elsewhere.

I can only speak from personal experience in looking for student accommodation for my own kids but 7 day rentals in someone else's house was never actually an option because quite frankly the owners didn't want you there at the weekends. But I don't know if that's the OP's case.

But I don't know if that's the OP's case.

Nail on the head. Nobody here does.

The OP is a paying guest in someones house, they're the only ones that can answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where does the OP say it's a B&B. No point in trying to come up with reasons why the Op should ship out at the weekend.

He only pays for 5 days and doesn't want to pay the extra 200 for the 7 days. No point in making up a reason as a valid one already exists

It's not your room at the weekend!!

emeldc wrote:

He doesn't pay for weekends. I can't see why anyone would expect exclusive access for something they aren't paying for!

As for your "what if the op was female" ridiculousness, that's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just my 2 cents.

Although I clearly want my lodger to freeze :pac: I've just done a 5 day deal and reduced the rent accordingly. I personally wouldn't dream of going in their room on the off days, the reduction is for not having to share the communal space/walking around in the nud, when they're not they're. However have to stress that's just ME. There are no regulations to these agreements.

Frankly though it sounds like the parents went away, a party was had, and I expect the parents will be as pissed off as you are. Have a chat, but don't force the issue it's like it or lump it in these Rent a room efforts I'm afraid.

He doesn't pay for weekends. I can't see why anyone would expect exclusive access for something they aren't paying for!

As for your "what if the op was female" ridiculousness, that's just silly.

According to post #5, the arrangement is that the OP can leave their stuff in the room over the weekend. Who, in their right mind would agree to something like that if the assumption was that the room could be let to someone else. Seriously?
    This most likely was just a one off because the parents were away but if it wasn't I'd be looking for somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Just my 2 cents.

Although I clearly want my lodger to freeze :pac: I've just done a 5 day deal and reduced the rent accordingly. I personally wouldn't dream of going in their room on the off days, the reduction is for not having to share the communal space/walking around in the nud, when they're not they're. However have to stress that's just ME. There are no regulations to these agreements.

Frankly though it sounds like the parents went away, a party was had, and I expect the parents will be as pissed off as you are. Have a chat, but don't force the issue it's like it or lump it in these Rent a room efforts I'm afraid.

I don't get the bit about your lodger freezing?

Who, in their right mind would agree to something like that if the assumption was that the room could be let to someone else. Seriously?

You could equally ask who in their right mind would expect exclusive use of a room during periods they don't wish to pay for it.

There are no hard and fast rules here. It is entirely up-to the OPs hosts.

pilly wrote: »
    I don't get the bit about your lodger freezing?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057724941

1. Setup camera(s).
    2. Post whatever is recorded when you're not there online.

Post video of private citizens in a room in their own house?

I would suggest that wouldn't be the brightest of moves legally speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Graham wrote: »
    Post video of private citizens in a room in their own house?

I would suggest that wouldn't be the brightest of moves legally speaking.
    Yeah. Sorry, just read that the OP doesn't rent the room for those two days.

An odd arrangement, especially if you're then going to give out about the two days when the room isn't yours.

I'm confused. What is this thread about then?

1. Setup camera(s).
    2. Post whatever is recorded when you're not there online.

And he would end up in court, particularly if a young niece/ nephew / kid was staying in his aunt/uncle/parents house.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

I'm paying 500e a month Monday to Friday so I'm not willing to pay another 200e a month for that privilege.

of my room.

You dont have the privilege of calling it your room on the weekends. by your own admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

100 a night? crikey you'de be cheaper in a B&B

I think he means per month, it'll be another 3 or 4 months before it's that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Usually includes all food.

Advertisement