Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 day tenant: I think my room was used this weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

100 a night? crikey you'de be cheaper in a B&B

Per month!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My 1st year digs in Carlow was Monday to Friday; it was only when I had to stay the weekend for an exam that I found that my room was usually used by the boyfriend of one of the girls in the house; fcuk knows what they did whilst I wasn't there, but there was clean sheets there every Sunday night, so meh.

OP; you have no say over the weekend, as you're not paying for it. Perhaps just ask that should your bed get used, that fresh sheets be put on before you arrive back?

That's an unusually close family. Dueling banjo close.

We'd often have nieces or nephews staying over baby sitting the kids or the folks may have some of my younger cousins over if they are going to something in Dublin.

That's an unusually close family. Dueling banjo close.

You hardly think a niece or nephew staying at their aunts/uncles is out of the ordinary? Its a fairly normal thing is the vast majority of families. I would spend half my summers in aunts and uncles when I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The OP does say he/she "pay extra to stay up this weekend". That's the bit that's confusing for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

jlm29 wrote: »
    The OP does say he/she "pay extra to stay up this weekend". That's the bit that's confusing for me!

When he stays up he pays, when he doesn't stay he doesn't pay. When he doesn't pay the contention is the room isn't his.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

100 a night? crikey you'de be cheaper in a B&B

An additional €200 month if the OP wants weekends?

Where I live there's more than 2 weekend nights in a month. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Just my 2 cents.

Although I clearly want my lodger to freeze :pac: I've just done a 5 day deal and reduced the rent accordingly. I personally wouldn't dream of going in their room on the off days, the reduction is for not having to share the communal space/walking around in the nud, when they're not they're. However have to stress that's just ME. There are no regulations to these agreements.

Frankly though it sounds like the parents went away, a party was had, and I expect the parents will be as pissed off as you are. Have a chat, but don't force the issue it's like it or lump it in these Rent a room efforts I'm afraid.

Glad to see other people who see a landlord who shares a similar understanding of me. Might I add, as insignificant to the post, the only communal area appliance I use is the microwave, and half shelf in the fridge!!

The parents were aware of the party, the mother told me about it when I announced I was going to stay up the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

When he stays up he pays, when he doesn't stay he doesn't pay. When he doesn't pay the contention is the room isn't his.

Sorry, I had read it as him having paid extra for this weekend- I.e. The weekend in question!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bs2014 wrote: »
    Glad to see other people who see a landlord who shares a similar understanding of me. Might I add, as insignificant to the post, the only communal area appliance I use is the microwave, and half shelf in the fridge!!

The parents were aware of the party, the mother told me about it when I announced I was going to stay up the weekend.

There is no standard way this is done. It is up to you and your hosts to agree how it is done regardless of how anyone else on this thread may tell you how they would do it.

There's no ombudsman for people in digs, no United Nations Commission for Lodgers and no EU standards for crashing in someones house for a few days a week. You have pretty much zero rights in this scenario.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I had read it as him having paid extra for this weekend- I.e. The weekend in question!

No I only paid for Friday night. I decided to go back home on Saturday despite it not really being ideal for me as I didn't want to stay up when the party was in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

No I only paid for Friday night. I decided to go back home on Saturday despite it not really being ideal for me as I didn't want to stay up when the party was in the house.
    Does what you pay include breakfast ?

Does what you pay include breakfast ?

Nope it doesnt

So you understand you have to pay extra to stay extra nights, but you still think you should have the exclusive use if the room when you don't pay?

If he is paying for the room 5 nights a week. I think the room should not have someone else in it at the weekends. Imagine him leaving the place clean when he goes home for the weekend. Then coming back with no idea who was in the room . Sleeping or whatever on his sheets. That's disgusting.

If he is paying for the room 5 nights a week. I think the room should not have someone else in it at the weekends. Imagine him leaving the place clean when he goes home for the weekend. Then coming back with no idea who was in the room . Sleeping or whatever on his sheets. That's disgusting.

Then he should pay for it. You can't expect exclusive use if you are not willing to pay

ted1 wrote: »

Then he should pay for it. You can't expect exclusive use if you are not willing to pay
    Well in that case there should be clean bed linen on the bed and the room cleaned an vacummed for him on his return every Sunday. Otherwise it's a health hazard. Would you expect your son or daughter to get into a bed that some stranger was in for the previous two nights ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

He's paying €500 a month for a room in a house, as a lodger, what the hell would he paying for the week? I find some of the comments here really disgusting in regards to attacking the OP.

He is being taken advantage of!

Someone is going into his room and sleeping in his sheets. No one can say this is acceptable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Is it all down to common courtesy? Regardless of whether the OP is paying for the room at the weekend or not, surely the least they can expect is a bit of respect. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect that their bed will remain unslept in or that there won't be random strangers going into the room. There's probably nothing in writing to say what happened was legally wrong. But from a human point of view, I'd be raging. Out of curiosity, who supplies the sheets? Who does the laundry?

gizmo81 wrote: »
    He's paying €500 a month for a room in a house, as a lodger, what the hell would he paying for the week? I find some of the comments here really disgusting in regards to attacking the OP.

He is being taken advantage of!

Someone is going into his room and sleeping in his sheets. No one can say this is acceptable!
    You hit the nail on the head. Yes he is definitely been taken advantage of. He should also have a key to the room.

• Advertisement

Is it all down to common courtesy? Regardless of whether the OP is paying for the room at the weekend or not, surely the least they can expect is a bit of respect. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect that their bed will remain unslept in or that there won't be random strangers going into the room. There's probably nothing in writing to say what happened was legally wrong. But from a human point of view, I'd be raging. Out of curiosity, who supplies the sheets? Who does the laundry?

Thanks for your support. I do all my own washing. As you say, there no law etc its just common decency. I am very quiet and literally never in the house, so I expect that combined with paying a hefty amount should be treated with a bit of respect. Like I could have confidential things like tablets or files sitting in my room, I don't want to have to hide every single thing I own, I find it an invasion of privacy. I don't pay weekends which is designed to allow the landlord to not have someone in their house 24/7. Its not designed for the room to be used in my absence.

Thanks for your support. I do all my own washing. As you say, there no law etc its just common decency. I am very quiet and literally never in the house, so I expect that combined with paying a hefty amount should be treated with a bit of respect. Like I could have confidential things like tablets or files sitting in my room, I don't want to have to hide every single thing I own, I find it an invasion of privacy. I don't pay weekends which is designed to allow the landlord to not have someone in their house 24/7. Its not designed for the room to be used in my absence.
    I feel sorry for you . That sort of carry on is unacceptable in this day and age. I wonder is the so called landlord declaring this on their tax returns. Also if their is a burglary and your stuff stolen. Would it be covered on the landlords house insurance. I defo think you need to get a key to protect your privacy and contents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Glad to hear some decency and common sense coming into this thread now.

I'd go to them and say you've noticed that someone used your bed over the weekend. See how they react to that before you decide what way to take the conversation next. Maybe instead of saying you're annoyed, say you're disappointed. That you thought it'd be OK to leave your stuff in the room. ..The all guns blazing approach rarely works but the statement of a fact or two can work wonders ;)

I'd go to them and say you've noticed that someone used your bed over the weekend. See how they react to that before you decide what way to take the conversation next. Maybe instead of saying you're annoyed, say you're disappointed. That you thought it'd be OK to leave your stuff in the room. ..The all guns blazing approach rarely works but the statement of a fact or two can work wonders ;)
    Yeah and because of that could you please have a key to the room. Try softly softly approach first. But insist on the key .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The IP doesn't know someone used the bed though, just that a coat was moved?

True...I just looked back at the original post. They do seem to think the bed was used though, not just that a coat was moved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

True...I just looked back at the original post. They do seem to think the bed was used though, not just that a coat was moved.

First thing I'd do is mention it to the parents tbh and ask if someone slept there then take it from there

The parents were not there. So how would they know if any of the party goers used the bed. A key would solve all this.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for you . That sort of carry on is unacceptable in this day and age. I wonder is the so called landlord declaring this on their tax returns. Also if their is a burglary and your stuff stolen. Would it be covered on the landlords house insurance. I defo think you need to get a key to protect your privacy and contents.

While the money does have to be declared its tax free as the op is living in the owners home so in reality it's irrrlavent if they are declaring it or not.

I'm not so sure it's unacceptable though, a conversation needed to happen when it was a 5 day let about the weekends. I would not see it as unreasonable that the room is required for use by someone else (visitors, son/daughter,niece, nephew) of the LL when the op is only paying for 5 days but it should have been discussed up front so the op didn't leave his bed clothes etc. The op would also have no right to lock the door unless agreed with the LL.

Advertisement