Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 day tenant: I think my room was used this weekend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The parents were not there. So how would they know if any of the party goers used the bed. A key would solve all this.

They don't but it's still a nice way to open the conversation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

OP as you can see from this thread there is a variety of opinions. The only way to sort this is to talk to the owners, it really should have been agreed at the beginning what exactly was meant. The sooner you talk to them the better.

If you expect exclusive rights to the room you should pay more than if you don't expect it. And it would seem you assumed you were paying for it the owners (or at least their son) didn't.

I would look to get a key for the room even just for during the week when you are staying there. This does not mean you get to lock the room at weekends though unless you agree this with your landlord.

No one here can give you the answer you just need to raise it with your landlord. I'm surprised you havn't already tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I feel sorry for you . That sort of carry on is unacceptable in this day and age. I wonder is the so called landlord declaring this on their tax returns. Also if their is a burglary and your stuff stolen. Would it be covered on the landlords house insurance. I defo think you need to get a key to protect your privacy and contents.

While the money does have to be declared its tax free as the op is living in the owners home so in reality it's irrrlavent if they are declaring it or not.

I'm not so sure it's unacceptable though, a conversation needed to happen when it was a 5 day let about the weekends. I would not see it as unreasonable that the room is required for use by someone else (visitors, son/daughter,niece, nephew) of the LL when the op is only paying for 5 days but it should have been discussed up front so the op didn't leave his bed clothes etc. The op would also have no right to lock the door unless agreed with the LL.
    I don't think it's acceptable in this day and age to expect someone paying rent to have to sleep in a bed that some random er or party goer decides to have a kip I'm while the paying lodger is away at the weekend. It's unhygienic for one thing as well as been anti social . Even the sheets in the hostels for the homeless people are changed daily.

I don't think it's acceptable in this day and age to expect someone paying rent to have to sleep in a bed that some random er or party goer decides to have a kip I'm while the paying lodger is away at the weekend. It's unhygienic for one thing as well as been anti social . Even the sheets in the hostels for the homeless people are changed daily.

The issue is that it wasn't discussed rather than someone else staying in the room. If it was discussed the op could remove his sheets etc but he is not really entitled to have a say in what the room is used for if he is not paying for weekends.

As for this day and age, I've slept in many a persons bed back in college (and more recently too) when staying in other friends houseshares and they and I survived. I wouldn't like it in my bed then or now but the reality is this happenes all the time unless doors are locked (which the op can't really do).

Legally the OP probably doesn't have a leg to stand on. But we're talking here about manners and common courtesy. The OP isn't sleeping in the room at weekend but they still have their belongings in the room. Bedding, clothes, papers, tablet etc. It's not as if the room reverts to its pre-rental stage at weekends.

I don't think anybody's suggesting the OP won't be OK if they sleep between sheets that other people have used. But if the bed was used without their permission, it's scummy behaviour. It also shows a certain amount of contempt for him/her.

• Advertisement

Point I was trying to make is that in these college type parties people just drift into rooms, you might be told to keep out of the rooms but fall in the door at 3am full of drink and all you care about it finding a bed and the floor or couch isn't that appealing.

Point I was trying to make is that in these college type parties people just drift into rooms, you might be told to keep out of the rooms but fall in the door at 3am full of drink and all you care about it finding a bed and the floor or couch isn't that appealing.

Oh I can understand that. I was a student back in the days before fire was invented :D But from the OP's point of view, I believe she's entitled to have her room left alone at weekends. Not from a legal aspect but from a respect for her belongings/room point of view. It's definitely worth a conversation with the parents about.

The issue is that it wasn't discussed rather than someone else staying in the room. If it was discussed the op could remove his sheets etc but he is not really entitled to have a say in what the room is used for if he is not paying for weekends.

As for this day and age, I've slept in many a persons bed back in college (and more recently too) when staying in other friends houseshares and they and I survived. I wouldn't like it in my bed then or now but the reality is this happenes all the time unless doors are locked (which the op can't really do).
    The poster is paying €500.00 per month. This entitles them to a KEY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

bs2014 wrote: »
    I am very quiet and literally never in the house

You pay €500pm but you're literally never in the house? You're being overcharged, literally.

A lot of ott comments on this thread, has it been established that someone actually slept in your bed or did they just use your room for coats during the party?

SteM wrote: »
    I am very quiet and literally never in the house

You pay €500pm but you're literally never in the house? You're being overcharged, literally.

A lot of ott comments on this thread, has it been established that someone actually slept in your bed or did they just use your room for coats during the party?
    Omg. Repeating myself here. If landlord had the manners to give op a key this wouldn't have happened. Bedroom doors in my house all have keys. So it's not that unusual !

• Advertisement

Omg. Repeating myself here. If landlord had the manners to give op a key this wouldn't have happened. Bedroom doors in my house all have keys. So it's not that unusual !

The OP never pushed for one, literally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As OP is a paying house guest, the only 'entitlement' they really have is the entitlement to go somewhere else. Anything above that is by negotiation/agreement with the homeowner.

The OP never pushed for one, literally.
    Well the op has come on to this site to ask advice. I suggest op gets a key for the room that op is paying €500.00 a month for. What do you suggest ?

Well the op has come on to this site to ask advice. I suggest op gets a key for the room that op is paying €500.00 a month for. What do you suggest ?

The same as I suggested several pages back. The OP go and have an adult conversation with the only party that can clarify exactly what is is they are getting for their 5 day a week stay. The home owner.

Graham wrote: »

As OP is a paying house guest, the only 'entitlement' they really have is the entitlement to go somewhere else. Anything above that is by negotiation/agreement with the homeowner.
    Everyone is entitled to a key to their bedroom. It helps you to feel safe at night when going to sleep.

Everyone is entitled to a key to their bedroom. It helps you to feel safe at night when going to sleep.

Cool. Could you link the legislation where this entitlement is detailed?

They can certainly ask but the home owner doesn't have to supply one. If I was the home owner I'd refuse tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I could have confidential things like tablets or files sitting in my room, I don't want to have to hide every single thing I own, I find it an invasion of privacy

Then pay for the room on a full time basis. Or take your stuff home with you. It's not your room at the weekend - you have no right to leave ANYTHING there over the weekend. Your sense of entitlement is astounding.

If the OP doesn't feel safe going to sleep in the room at night they should find somewhere else to live.

If the OP doesn't feel safe going to sleep in the room at night they should find somewhere else to live.
    No they should not. € 500.00 for a room in someone's house entitles them to a key to the room they sleep in.

• Advertisement

No they should not. € 500.00 for a room in someone's house entitles them to a key to the room they sleep in.

No. It doesn't. You're really struggling to grasp this.

Say he's given a key, do you think he'd be entitled to lock the room up at weekends, despite the fact he expressly doesn't pay for the room at the weekend?

I could have confidential things like tablets or files sitting in my room, I don't want to have to hide every single thing I own, I find it an invasion of privacy

Then pay for the room on a full time basis. Or take your stuff home with you. It's not your room at the weekend - you have no right to leave ANYTHING there over the weekend. Your sense of entitlement is astounding.
    Your post is astounding. The op is already paying imo over the top rent to an unregistered landlord. Of couse it's their room at the weekend. The landlord benefits from this as there would be no showers electricity or heating been used.

That's a fire hazard!

Your post is astounding. The op is already paying imo over the top rent to an unregistered landlord. Of couse it's their room at the weekend. The landlord benefits from this as there would be no showers electricity or heating been used.

If the OP wants the benefit of exclusive use it appears they have the option to pay for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The money grabber .?

The person availing of legal rent a room tax relief?

Unregistered landlord? Are we reading the same thread?

bubblypop wrote: »

That's a fire hazard!
    Of couse it's not. Are you saying if my kids choose to lock their internal bedroom door at night................it's a firehazard. You could knock them in with your shoulder.

You are delusionally naive. You have no idea what he gets for his 500 per month. You don't know what's in the room, how big it is, whether there's an en suite, how big the bed is, where the place is located and a multitude of other issues - you are in no position whatsoever (like the rest of us) to have an opinion on whether the rent is over the top. Even if it is over the top, it's completely irrelevant to the ongoing discussion. You're babbling on about entitlements and rights without actually understanding the terms. In reality, you're just being a moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

You are just making things up now. The OP is a licensee in an owner occupied house. No registration is necessary.

• Advertisement

Of couse it's not. Are you saying if my kids choose to lock their internal bedroom door at night................it's a firehazard. You could knock them in with your shoulder.

It's a very bad idea to lock bedroom doors, in the event of a fire it's a Hazard.

Advertisement