Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 day tenant: I think my room was used this weekend

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

You are delusionally naive. You have no idea what he gets for his 500 per month. You don't know what's in the room, how big it is, whether there's an en suite, how big the bed is, where the place is located and a multitude of other issues - you are in no position whatsoever (like the rest of us) to have an opinion on whether the rent is over the top. Even if it is over the top, it's completely irrelevant to the ongoing discussion. You're babbling on about entitlements and rights without actually understanding the terms. In reality, you're just being a moan.

I get a big cold poorly insulated square bedroom. Nothing more nothing less. No parking, no ensuite. Access to kitchen. I don't use the sitting rooms as I'm never really in the house and plus don't feel comfortable floating around the house and hogging the tv in someone elses house (why I feel this I don't know). No tv my room. The room costs them nothing at the weekends as they insist on turning the radiators off then. When I moved in, I asked for a key to the room as I always had one, I got a flippant response to the effect of "ah sure you don't need a key, we leave all our rooms open, this is a family house, not a house where all the bedrooms are let out individually" so I didn't push it when I moved in as I felt pushing it showed I didn't trust them. The owners aren't yet back so hopefully I don't have more partys tonight when I get home, I will inform yous how I get on. Part of me wants to say nothing as I could be showed the door, but quite frankly I'm sick of the power imbalance in the Dublin rental market and there has been a few instances of them trying to bite off more than they can chew in the last few months so I think I need to politely address the issue. Thanks for the positive replies, I'll let ye know in the coming days how it goes!:)

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's a very bad idea to lock bedroom doors, in the event of a fire it's a Hazard.

Firemen are well trained in busting doors in. All this talk about locks, if that was the case, locks would be banned or made illegal on doors sold. BTW I never intend to lock myself in the bedroom!

bs2014 wrote: »
    Firemen are well trained in busting doors in. All this talk about locks, if that was the case, locks would be banned or made illegal on doors sold. BTW I never intend to lock myself in the bedroom!

I'm sure when your kids have locked their bedroom doors it will be of great comfort to you to know that firemen can bust in doors.
    If they can get upstairs of course.
    Totally of topic i know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

so I think I need to politely address the issue.

Very sensible approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I could have confidential things like tablets or files sitting in my room, I don't want to have to hide every single thing I own, I find it an invasion of privacy

Then pay for the room on a full time basis. Or take your stuff home with you. It's not your room at the weekend - you have no right to leave ANYTHING there over the weekend. Your sense of entitlement is astounding.
    Your post is astounding. The op is already paying imo over the top rent to an unregistered landlord. Of couse it's their room at the weekend. The landlord benefits from this as there would be no showers electricity or heating been used.
    SteM wrote: »
    Your post is astounding. The op is already paying imo over the top rent to an unregistered landlord. Of couse it's their room at the weekend. The landlord benefits from this as there would be no showers electricity or heating been used.

Unregistered landlord? Are we reading the same thread?
    I think people are struggling as to what relevance it has to this thread. Landlords can rent a room tax free for up to 14,000 and doesn't need to register with the PRTB

• Advertisement

I could have confidential things like tablets or files sitting in my room, I don't want to have to hide every single thing I own, I find it an invasion of privacy

Then pay for the room on a full time basis. Or take your stuff home with you. It's not your room at the weekend - you have no right to leave ANYTHING there over the weekend. Your sense of entitlement is astounding.
    SteM wrote: »

Unregistered landlord? Are we reading the same thread?
    I think people are struggling as to what relevance it has to this thread. Landlords can rent a room tax free for up to 14,000 and doesn't need to register with the PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ha. So easy to suss you all out. There are 3 concerned people on this site trying their best to help and guide the poster who is been fleeced by paying € 500.00 per month for an unlocked room. Proud to say I am one of them.

Yes, quite. Well done you. Of course you've done absolutely nothing, but as long as you feel good about yourself, i suppose some good has been done here.

Ha. So easy to suss you all out. There are 3 concerned people on this site trying their best to help and guide the poster who is been fleeced by paying € 500.00 per month for an unlocked room. Proud to say I am one of them.

As interesting as I've found your opinion it's unfortunately done little to inform the OP of their legal rights and entitlements.

Fortunately the OP has sensibly decided to go and have a discussion with their landlord so his/her position will be clarified soon enough.

Of course the room costs them something there is a mortgage in it, they loose the use of the it, ifvthe heating is off it'll cause a draft throughout the house. They could also get someone to pay 700 for exclusive use

You are very niave for a) thinking you can get exclusive use when only paying for 5?days and b) thinking the room costs them nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

This thread and watching RTE's Ireland's Property Crisis is extremely depressing. Have people no shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

goz83 wrote: »
    My understanding of such an arrangement is that while the room is not being used each weekend by the OP, the reduction of rent is due to the fact that he is not there, using heat and other facilities. In my mind, it would not be the case that the room can be used by anyone else and access is only granted to the LL to turn on/off the radiator (which is very cheap imo).

That would be my understanding too, that the reduction comes from them being guaranteed to have one less person in the house every weekend.

If someone has their personal belongings in the room, there needs to be a system in place for them to lock away valuables. The OP can't be carting the contents of his room around every weekend. A lockable wardrobe to place valuables, bed linen and the duvet and pillows should be provided. I'm sure someone will argue that they technically don't have to provide that but it's the decent thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Yes, quite. Well done you. Of course you've done absolutely nothing, but as long as you feel good about yourself, i suppose some good has been done here.
    Yeah I do feel proud of myself. I have done nothing but try to help the student. I have not been negative towards same student. I think for the over the top rent been charged that a key should be provided to protect personal items in room when student is not there. I wish the op all the best for the future. Really hope the key is provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You still haven't realised/recognised the fact that the OP has no right to lock the room up on weekends.

Yeah I do feel proud of myself. I have done nothing but try to help the student. I have not been negative towards same student. I think for the over the top rent been charged that a key should be provided to protect personal items in room when student is not there. I wish the op all the best for the future. Really hope the key is provided.

Here's the thing. If you convince somebody they have entitlements that they don't legally have, there's a chance they will then go and start demanding those imagined entitlements.

At best, someone demanding entitlements they don't have is going to look silly. At worst, they could be made homeless. As we're all only too aware of the current housing crisis I think we can all agree that wouldn't be a good result.

Maybe that give you some insight into why I've been suggesting the OP just go and talk to their landlord rather than jumping to conclude I'm an undercover landlord/landlord cheerleader.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Graham wrote:
    Here's the thing. If you convince somebody they have entitlements that they don't legally have, there's a chance they will then go and start demanding those imagined entitlements.

Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread has gone off the rails due to the efforts of certain posters. Locked temporarily. OP please pm a forum mod to update when you speak to your landlord..

Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread reopened at OP's request. Constructive, legal and on topic replies only please.

Thanks

Mod

Okay guys, owners back last night so I picked my moment this morning to say. Owner was giving off about her teens not keeping the place tidy and putting the "disco lights" away. I said I noticed some of the party goers must have used my room, she seemed a little shocked and asked did they sleep in the bed. I said I wasnt sure if they were in or on the bed but I noticed things missing. She just said "oh her son doesn't think, he just lets people go crash wherever they want". She did seem to know that her son had crashed on her own bed on Saturday night however! Anyhow I didn't make too much of a deal, just dropped the hint to let her know that I knew it happened and that I didn't seem impressed or overly comfortable with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Look at it as a way of protecting your deposit OP, assuming you've paid one. With others using your room, it'll be impossible to pin responsibility for any damage on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Okay guys, owners back last night so I picked my moment this morning to say. Owner was giving off about her teens not keeping the place tidy and putting the "disco lights" away. I said I noticed some of the party goers must have used my room, she seemed a little shocked and asked did they sleep in the bed. I said I wasnt sure if they were in or on the bed but I noticed things missing. She just said "oh her son doesn't think, he just lets people go crash wherever they want". She did seem to know that her son had crashed on her own bed on Saturday night however! Anyhow I didn't make too much of a deal, just dropped the hint to let her know that I knew it happened and that I didn't seem impressed or overly comfortable with it.

Good for you! But seriously it looks like she's trying to make light of it (probably fuming with her son) and you're making light of it (pretending you weren't so ticked off about it as you were in the OP). So messages not-quite-clear.

Shame you couldn't both be direct and sort out the whole: do I have a guarantee that my stuff won't be abused in my absence/can other people leave the room while I'm gone at weekends. But then, I teach communication skills and am only very slowly getting through the Irish population :cool: so don't mind me.

• Advertisement

Good for you! But seriously it looks like she's trying to make light of it (probably fuming with her son) and you're making light of it (pretending you weren't so ticked off about it as you were in the OP). So messages not-quite-clear.

Shame you couldn't both be direct and sort out the whole: do I have a guarantee that my stuff won't be abused in my absence/can other people leave the room while I'm gone at weekends. But then, I teach communication skills and am only very slowly getting through the Irish population :cool: so don't mind me.

Its a valid point, and I agree with the whole making light of it. Part of me was going to chicken out of approaching the subject but then I had to remind myself, why should I, I'm paying a shed load of money and I wouldn't do treat a tenant of mine or anyone's room/private space with such carelessness. I sense she knows I wasn't impressed but in the end of the day people/landlords will do what they want as they can because they hold ALL the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I sense she knows I wasn't impressed but in the end of the day people/landlords will do what they want as they can because they hold ALL the power.

Well it is her house. You just use a room 5 days a week. Of course the per is and should be hers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bs2014 wrote:
    Okay guys, owners back last night so I picked my moment this morning to say... I said I noticed some of the party goers must have used my room, she seemed a little shocked and asked did they sleep in the bed. I said I wasnt sure if they were in or on the bed but I noticed things missing.

What was missing? You never mentioned that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Had a similar experience OP. Using my duvet and sheets when I was a student. Luckily I'm a biochemist so managed to synthesize something itchy. At least then I could find the culprit.

Advertisement