Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing Camo

Options
  • 02-04-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a hunter or shooter but I was thinking of getting a camo jacket for watching wildlife & walking the dogs.

Is there any problem with this? I heard that wearing IDF is illegal. Do people view camo badly given the association with the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I don't think the IDF - Israel Defense Forces, would have an issue with you unless you plan to do a spot of bird watching on the Golan Heights.....

The wareing of Irish Defence Forces uniforms would be a no no. You'll pick yourself up a cheap foreign military garb for little or nothing. Having said that you get real tree style clothing pretty cheaply.

I have only one piece of camouflage clothing I use for pigeons and early season evening stalks other wise everything else is green or brown -ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I saw first hand some idiot wearing defence forces camo (and a balaclava) one Halloween night in a nightclub, obviously going for the ra look. probably a family members RDF gear. Later on I saw a couple of guards cornering him and having a serious chat. I dont know did they actually arrest him or what but it definitely didn't end well. As cookimonster said steer clear and get some commercial gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There is some Serbian cammo from the Balkan conflict out there that does look remarkably like "Paddyflage",so it is quite possible to be picked up by mistake on this ..[Best leave the Yougo tabs in it to prove your innocence.] Oddly the "RA " preferred Brit DPM Brit green issue wolly pullys and UK webbing belts going by most of their recruitment pics..
    As said best get some commercial stuff .

Serb woodland cammo just to compareserbarmyccecamojkt-03.jpg

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Years back everyone was wareing irish army combat jackets and the baggy trousers that went with them they were plain green and did not stand up to rain ,i did not know you could not ware defence force clothing now a days.

You could never ware them.....,
    the drab olive was made here, but this new stuff is made outside of the country and as far as the barracks rumour mill goes the pattten was never patented!
    Miles better than the original stuff I got in the late 80's but the latest stuff is suffering some server quality control issues and effects of cost cutting.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would be getting a Keela. The DPM is cheaper than the replacement Multicam.

I am assuming that as it's available from an Irish dealer than it's legal here.

http://www.irishguntrader.ie/product/keela-superlight-dpm-cammo-jacket/

http://www.keela.co.uk/sf-jacket.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

blackpearl wrote: »
    .......... ,i did not know you could not ware defence force clothing now a days.
    As said above, you never could. Section 264 of the 1954 Defense Act:
    264.—(1) If any person (not being a member of the Defence Forces) wears, without permission granted by or on behalf of the Minister, any uniform of the Defence Forces or any colourable imitation thereof, such person shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding ten pounds or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding three months.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »

"any uniform of the Defence Forces or any colourable imitation thereof"

Surely that outlaws any camo ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To the best of my knowledge it references any imitations or copies of the exact pattern used by the defense forces (DPM). Realtree and other camo is not covered.

There are so many variations of camo it's hard to patent all of them or more accurately cover all them with one patent. A slight change in colour or pattern, enough that it changes the original patent/design, and it's a whole new brand hence not covered.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »

Half the country was wearing them years back you just went over the soldiers number with a heavy black marker ,now the soldiers have to hand in their old clothes before they are issued with new ones but if you are in the know theirs ways around getting hold of them.

• Advertisement

The DPM Keela is a lot cheaper than the new Multicam.

Even used Multicam Keela's fetch good money. Apparently squaddies buy them because they can pass as the standard issue but are way better. They are standard issue for special forces

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Is there an exception for past military personnel when it comes to wearing dpm?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Burzum wrote: »
    Is there an exception for past military personnel when it comes to wearing dpm?

No exception

Then the jails must be full because if you went around most of the lakes in the country alot of people wearing defence clothing from bottoms to coats for hunting and fishing no won seems to care maybe their right.

Not only is it illegal for non serving personal to wear them it's also illegal for serving personal to wear their uniforms or any part thereof without authorization etc.

So if you want to draw attention to yourself work away and the chances are you'll never have a problem (unlike the plonker of a builder who decided to wear a DF smock while on a contract in the Barracks) but for the sake of a free set of DPMs it's not worth it considering the cost of a cheep reliable set of outdoor clothing that are actually wind proof, water resistant and breathable unlike our current issue DPMs.

Not only is it illegal for non serving personal to wear them it's also illegal for serving personal to wear their uniforms or any part thereof without authorization etc.

So if you want to draw attention to yourself work away and the chances are you'll never have a problem (unlike the plonker of a builder who decided to wear a DF smock while on a contract in the Barracks) but for the sake of a free set of DPMs it's not worth it considering the cost of a cheep reliable set of outdoor clothing that are actually wind proof, water resistant and breathable unlike our current issue DPMs.

the leggings of the last batch they had braces were the best waterproof leggings i ever owned used them in all weathers fishing and duck shooting not a drop.

That's the rain gear your on about, worn as an outer garment over the smock and pants. You don't want to be tramping around the hills in all those layers, you'll soon realise how breathable some materials are and are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 outfoxing

Sitting in the nco's mess one night our training sgt came in and told the lads a new uniform was on the way and it was dpm which he said it was damp proof material i spat my pint over the bar , happy days

That's the rain gear your on about, worn as an outer garment over the smock and pants. You don't want to be tramping around the hills in all those layers, you'll soon realise how breathable some materials are and are not.

Yes its the rain gear i am talking about never used it rough shooting just duck shooting and lake fishing so dont know about brreathable they are but their 120% water proof i have the coat to match and a poncho.

outfoxing wrote: »
    Sitting in the nco's mess one night our training sgt came in and told the lads a new uniform was on the way and it was dpm which he said it was damp proof material i spat my pint over the bar , happy days

'damp proof material' .............. that's an interesting term.

Waterproofing is all academic when it comes to training. When I had to do a bit of soldiering through out my career you soon realise that breathable water proof boots and clothing mean nothing when your chest high in water. In an episode of 'scratch' the first crossing of the river resulted in me bobbing across like a cork as my kit was buoyant the secound dunking nearly drowned me as my now sodden kit acted as a anchor.

An ex college of mine summed it up 'nothing is as waterproof as steel and glass'..... in otherwards don't get out of the Nissan!

• Advertisement

All the reviews say that the Keela SF jacket is way better than standard issue. It's the reason why they sell for so much second hand.

I am happy to pay to stay dry & comfortable..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Many many years ago when I was 10 or 11 myself and a mate whose dad was an army officer used commandeer his dads' old officer tunics when going to rob orchards ! The pockets could hold loads of fruit and the fact that they were down to our knees was irrelevant .
    If we had known of the ten pound fine and the three months imprisonment I doubt if it would have put us off !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

What about High Vis camo?
    The animals are colourblind.
    Your only hiding from other humans, whom if also are shooting near by, would be nice to know/see.

This has become huge with US hunters

ligertigon wrote: »
    Your only hiding from other humans, whom if also are shooting near by, would be nice to know/see.

The American military should use it. Lots of animals see colour. Why do think birds have mating plumage & some animals have warning colours.

Even if they can't see colour, as we do, mammals can detect shapes & movement. Camo breaks up shape.

It sums up American that they are more concerned about shooting each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

ligertigon wrote: »

Not quite;
    Deer are partially colour blind; they can't see the day-glo, but if you went out in jeans, they'll see these really bright blue warning flashes making their way through the woods towards them. Some animals see only some colours.

Advertisement