Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pais Vasco - 3rd April to 9th April 2017 *** contains spoliers

Options
  • 03-04-2017 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread on this race ...as you can see my copy and paste skills are not up to much

Should be a good race ...parcours not with the demanding climbs of other years so some roulers could get a look in , though Valverde , Contador, Henao , Ion and Gorka Izzagirre and Simon Yates among the favourites

Sam Bennett and Nicolas Roche are riding
    Bennett has a good chance of a stage win on stage 1 at least if not other stages

On ES every day at 2.30pm

Following are the stage profiles

Stage 1
    vuelta-al-pais-vasco-2017-stage-1-1490263540.png

Stage 2
    vuelta-al-pais-vasco-2017-stage-2-1490263569.png

Stage 3
    2u7qcmr.png

Stage 4
    vuelta-al-pais-vasco-2017-stage-4-1490263657.png

Stage 5
    vuelta-al-pais-vasco-2017-stage-5-1490263686.png

Stage 6 - a TT

vuelta-al-pais-vasco-2017-stage-6-1490264814.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Oh well Sam Bennett has abandoned ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I was after putting 23,000 euros on Sam Bennett to win the stage on the back of your positive write-up of his chances today. Back to mucking out the lepers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Oh well Sam Bennett has abandoned ....

Disaster for Bennett. He would have had a good chance of winning the stage today. Hardly any sprinters taking part. Probably would have been between himself, Michael Matthews, Ben Swift maybe.

Nothing on the Bora-Hansgrohe team Twitter feed about why he abandoned.

Sam has bronchitis ......but surely he knew that yesterday?

Definitley a big chance missed

Calton Kirby is tipping Simon Clarke for the sprint.....could get your money back if you are quick to the bookies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Sam has bronchitis ......but surely he knew that yesterday?

Definitley a big chance missed

Calton Kirby is tipping Simon Clarke for the sprint.....could get your money back if you are quick to the bookies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need money to bet.

Could it be obligatory for the team to start with the right quota - & sop Sam starts & then abandons more or less straight off?

Kirby's interest is moving to Cummings now

I fear Cummings will never win a race again now

Nico Roche showing a bit of form off the front towards the end with Valverde...

Donlt say I never give you anything

Nice little dig by Nico at the end... although you know if it came down to sprint then Valverde would have pipped him!

I can't help but feeling disappointed for Sam, he would've had a great chance to contest for the stage.

• Advertisement

So day 2 in the Basque country ...which is lovely btw....and its 2 steep climbs, one near the beginning of the stage and one about 2/3 of the way in

These could be decisive in dropping some fast guys but then again not (decisive punditary at its best here !!!)

However as its Spain there are many more climbs to get over ...some in the road book and some not...could be a bit of a shakeout stage all round

We saw yesterday Valverde , Jay McCarthy, Uran , Allpahillipe, Nico Roche, Tim Wellens among those who can climb who are up for attacking and/or wininng a stage

Matthews and Gerrans are also looking for the win if they are not dropped on the climbs

Ok, I've been to the Credit Union & I'm going all in on Sam Bennett one last time.

Here's hoping that the TV helicopter gets a bit closer to the action today. If they are within the Earth's atmosphere they will be doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Here's hoping that the TV helicopter gets a bit closer to the action today. If they are within the Earth's atmosphere they will be doing well!

Its amazing how bad Italian and Spanish broadcasts are compared to French and Belgium TV. The latter gives you much better viewing and up to date time gaps

Less than 12km to go for anyone thinking of tuning in to watch the stage finish.
    Live on Eurosport 1 with CK and Matt Stevens commentating.

Here are the final kilometrs of stage 2

Of course the only piece of real action on the last climb was not captured by a helicopter with no zoom lens and which seemed intent on hammering home Father Teds lesson on difference between small and far away

They could have put a camera on the climb by having one moto stop near the top...sigh

So on to Stage 3

I think this one will pull out some action and a few fireworks....

Movistar and valverde will want to put the fast guys like Matthews, Impey & Gerrans under pressure on the climbs

Plus riders like Kwaito, Allaphillipe, Yates, Uran, Roche, Ion Izagirre, Lulu , Brambilla wil be itching to attack..

Alaphilippe crashes at the feedzone

Tough luck so far

I'm pretty sure I saw Nico cross the line in that lead group.

I'm pretty sure I saw Nico cross the line in that lead group.

He had what looked like a mechanical before Yates & Valverde ...not sure if he got back ...He was going well so I dont think he was dropped ...but could have got back on...hard to see as everyone is in either all white or everyone in red&white

There seemed to be alot of mechanials

• Advertisement

Nope Nico e over 3 minutes back

Nope Nico e over 3 minutes back

That's a balls.
    I had hoped he would do well in GC even though Sanchez was most likely team leader.

I suppose he is free to go challenge for the stage on Thursday and Friday now.

That's a balls.
    I had hoped he would do well in GC even though Sanchez was most likely team leader.

I suppose he is free to go challenge for the stage on Thursday and Friday now.

I actually think he may have crashed on the descent

Was ahead of Sanchez and Matthews and sitting good on the climbs .....Well there was no rocking of the shoulders or pain face

Next thing he is far behind the peloton chasing ...no team mate to help back as Sanchez leader and didnt wait and de Marchi up the road and then spent...suppose he just sat up

Maybe frees him for stages ...but only 2 to go
    Pity as I thought for a change he was going pretty well

Ok so stage 4

Flatter than yesterday ...but still not flat as its the Basque country after all

Expect an attack over the last climb if break is caught ..last climb quite hard and steep

So big break and one of these to win ?
    or late attack ?

Depends on Movistar and SKY

I think no break will not make it as Valverde is looking for bonus seconds in the bank for Contador & Heano( I beleive this stage has some)

Usual suspects to be up there for the win including Nicolas Roche if he does not get a puncture at the wrong time

Flatter than yesterday ...but still not flat as its the Basque country after all

Yeah I read somewhere that today there is a 2 km climb that averages 8.8% but it isn't even categorised. Crazy Basques :P

Not a good day for Contador so far. Was involved in a crash earlier. Now just had to change bike at the start of the final climb.

Nico on the attack!

Nico pushing way too high a gear and will be caught.

Nico pushing way too high a gear and will be caught.

Not really the gear that is the problem !

More like he is not at tip top form but fair play he gave it a go if a little early

Only way to get better I suppose

Roglic is a real find ...great power and TT

Contador crashes every day now...and sometimes twice a day

Contador crashes every day now...and sometimes twice a day

Pretty shítty luck for Contador today.
    He had a crash, and then a mechanical on the final climb in which he had to change to a team mates (much smaller) bike, and then a puncture in the final kilometre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pretty shítty luck for Contador today.
    He had a crash, and then a mechanical on the final climb in which he had to change to a team mates (much smaller) bike, and then a puncture in the final kilometre.

He didn't lose any time though they said as it was neutralised due to crash

Advertisement