Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good gluten free flour?

• 03-04-2017 7:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Hoping to whip up a gluten free dessert for someone special, but it seems to be a bit of a minefield in terms of getting things magically light, fluffy, and moist. Can anyone recommend a good gluten free flour and where to buy it in Dublin?

Was looking at a recipe that asked for Pamela's Gluten Free Artisan Flour, but that only seems to be available Stateside (not even on Amazon UK).

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

my favourite is the Aldi own brand one. It doesn't appear to have the funny after taste that some others have. You will need to add xanthan gum though as it's not included. I often add about 15% to 20% of ground almonds as substitute for the flour. eg. If recipe calls for 200g flour, I use 30g-40g ground almonds and 160g or 170g flour. This adds moisture as some gluten free cakes depending on the recipe can be very dry (sponges , biscuits esp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I've never had issues with the Oldums Tritamyl. I just need to make sure I sift it first. I've often put it into recipes (cupcakes, cakes etc) and not told anyone and nobody has been able to tell the difference.

What are you planning on making?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I've never had issues with the Oldums Tritamyl. I just need to make sure I sift it first. I've often put it into recipes (cupcakes, cakes etc) and not told anyone and nobody has been able to tell the difference.

What are you planning on making?

Was hoping to do a carrot cake (Also with dairy free frosting...Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment :P)

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Carrot cake is very moist anyway and you can't really taste the flour so any flour will do there to be honest. Just make sure that you have xanthan gum or something to bind it because it could be quite crumbly otherwise.
    dairy free frosting.... just buy Betty Crocker- it's vegan, so there are no animal products in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I've made carrot cake with the oldums flour and didn't need xanthan gum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I use aldi's own brand or Doves brand of plain gluten free flour. I do a straight substitution and don't need xanthan gum

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Was hoping to do a carrot cake (Also with dairy free frosting...Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment :P)

Violife do a vegan Philadelphia type cheese that you could use for frosting, you can get it in Dunne's
    I use an Indian flour that's gluten free will check the brand for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've used doves and the aldi brand (and regularly do gluten free baking) - dairy free in conjunction with it will be the challenge here! I second the ground almonds suggestion - I nearly always put ground almonds into my GF baking. I normally bring my baking into work though and one of my colleagues is allergic to nuts...so if I do GF with almond he can't eat it. :)

Have never tried the odlums flour. Check out https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/ for all your glorious GF goodies - she also has recommendations for making up your own flour (though you need a tonne of other flours potato, corn etc to make up her ones :) ) I compared the betterbatter she uses with doves and they seem to by much the same. I think it was doves anyway, may very well have been the aldi one. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gram flour is the one I use it's good moisture wise

Advertisement