Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouch! - ANA Inspiration: Lexi Thompson loses play-off following four-stroke penalty

Options
  • 03-04-2017 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

ANA Inspiration: Lexi Thompson loses play-off following four-stroke penalty
    American Lexi Thompson was left in tears after being handed a four-stroke penalty while leading the final round of the first major of the season - and then losing a play-off to So Yeon Ryu.

She incorrectly replaced a marked ball in Saturday's third round - a TV viewer spotted the offence and told officials.

Thompson was leading the ANA Inspiration by two shots when told of the penalty after her 12th hole.

She birdied the 18th to force a play-off which Ryu won at the first hole.

Thompson, 22, had missed a 20-foot eagle putt on the last that would have given her a sensational victory.

Her five-under-par third-round 67 was changed to a 71. She was penalised two shots for the infraction, and a further two shots for signing an incorrect scorecard.

"Is this a joke?" Thompson said after being informed by a rules official, before making birdies on three of the last six holes to force the play-off.
    Thompson appeared to put the marker at the side of her ball, which was then replaced in front of the marker prior to a putt of less than two feet.

I'm not sure she can have much complaint - she broke a rule and was penalised for it. The only 'harsh' aspect of it was it being spotted by a viewer and it taking so long to be communicated to her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

No complaint with the penalty for the offence really but think the extra two shot penalty is harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

She placed the ball about a centimeter away from where she marked it for a tap in putt. It's madness. People shouldnt be allowed ring in from their couches calling pen strokes. Some common sense in golf could go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Was it 2 shots for playing the ball from the wrong position and 2 for signing for a wrong score then?

Either way the infringement was ridiculous from her. I saw the footage and it was a tap in putt which she replaced nowhere near where she marked the ball. Pure stupidity from her.

She can't have any complaint about the 2 stroke penalty for playing the ball from the wrong position but double punishment is simply ridiculous. Especially when told near the end of round 4 with the offence happening in round 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Agreed, that she can't really complain, if she broke a rule, albeit with huge reservations about viewers calling it in after the round is complete.

Having seen it in slo-mo, I'm not convinced its quite as clear cut as marking it to the side and replacing it to the front, IMO that's definitely not the case. From the, admittedly blurry, video I've seen of it, you could argue its a few mm off its spot, but then again, I was looking for it after the news broke. You couldn't see the coin when she put it down and you could see the edge of it when she replaced the ball. If you didn't know there was an infraction, it could easily be missed I think.......maybe. The cynic in me wonders if the outpouring of sympathy for her would be replicated if it were Tiger, Suzann Petterson or one of the Koreans.............

In a broader sense, I think it also begs the question of "how exact is exact" ? I'm sure half the time someone replaces a ball on the green its not "exactly" where it was, maybe a blade of grass out, and the player never knows. Natural, minute variations, human error of a millimetre, I bet are more than commonplace, for all of us.

Having watched the footage multiple times you can barely see the coin as she lifts the ball then the coin is fully seen when she replaces the ball.
    It's very very silly by such an experienced pro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It's silly yes, but a four stroke penalty ?
    She was head and shoulders above any other player in the field.
    It's a sad day for golf, and i hope the sour lemon that felt it necessary to email in is happy.
    In what other sport is a fan allowed to call in and change a result that was posted the previous day,
    and then for the officials to wait until the 13th on the final round to tell her,
    it's shameful

ForeRight wrote: »
    It's very very silly by such an experienced pro.

Ohh absolutely. I hope silly is all it was.

TBH I can't see why anyone would mark a ball on such a short tap in, on dry, perfect greens. Do you really need to see the logo or the line on the ball for such a short putt ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Surely this kind of nonsense with viewers acting as refs needs to stop.Complete bull**** to have a decision made about something that happened in the 3rd round take place in the middle of the 4th round.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

AnneFrank wrote: »
    It's silly yes, but a four stroke penalty ?
    She was head and shoulders above any other player in the field.
    It's a sad day for golf, and i hope the sour lemon that felt it necessary to email in is happy.
    In what other sport is a fan allowed to call in and change a result that was posted the previous day,
    and then for the officials to wait until the 13th on the final round to tell her,
    it's shameful

If it had of been a couple of years ago she would have been disqualified !
    At least she still had a chance after the 4 stroke penalty. I did feel sorry for her but I also reckon it affected Petterson's game.

A hard lesson learned !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

how many of us would pull up a playing partner for doing the same thing.
    food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Buttros wrote: »
    She placed the ball about a centimeter away from where she marked it for a tap in putt. It's madness. People shouldnt be allowed ring in from their couches calling pen strokes. Some common sense in golf could go a long way.

That vastly changes the line of a putt, it can make it easier, also can avoid a spike mark.
    Ive seen this go on many many times at high level golf.
    The fact she has big issues with short putts enhances what went on.
    The phone in stuff is annoying yes, however as the game isnt being self policed by b the players as it should then thats the way it is.

cgh wrote: »
    how many of us would pull up a playing partner for doing the same thing.
    food for thought.

I've seen it done many times, its rampant in high level events, it alters the line of a putt in a big way.

I've seen it done many times, its rampant in high level events, it alters the line of a putt in a big way.

When you say that, do you mean, people being pulled up for it, or people marking and replacing in a dodgy way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That is an absolute joke, some bastard watching on TV, shouldn't be allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

That is an absolute joke, some bastard watching on TV, shouldn't be allowed

It's unfair as the TV viewing public are only getting to view the shots of the leaders of the tournament. If someone down in 15th did it, chances are their shot wouldn't be on the TV in the first place. May not make any difference to the outcome of the tournament but ranking points and tournament invites could be effected and of course what purse you end up with for that week could be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Russman wrote: »
    When you say that, do you mean, people being pulled up for it, or people marking and replacing in a dodgy way ?

I'd say the latter although I do remember Elliot Saltman was banned for it a few years back:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/jan/18/elliot-saltman-three-month-golf-ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Video of it.

Fair call by the looks of it. As for fans calling/emailing in, that's more than a little rediculous and needs to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Another howler by the LPGA, nothing wrong with what happened, except that the LPGA actually acted on the viewers email, that's an absolute disgrace and makes a mockery of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Absolute madness.

Stuff like this does nothing for the game of golf.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If penalties are not called then grey areas exist. Where grey areas exist people will always take advantage of them. If placing your ball 1cm away is ok, then 2cm away will be ok in a few weeks. Then somebody will eventually be penalised and start complaining about how Player X always does it. Then we're back to calls for enforcing the original rule.

We have a situation in tennis where you are only supposed to take 20 seconds between points. Rafa Nadal takes about 25-30s and always gets away with other more dislikeable players like Nick Kyrgios get them called when they overrun.

Rules are good. Rules help regulate the fun.

• Advertisement

The madness is from Thompson imo. Fair enough the 4 shot penalty is stupidly harsh but she blatantly placed the ball no where near where she lifted it from. Pure stupidity at that level.

Although I don't agree with tv viewers being able to influence the outcome like that what are officials to do. Leave her alone when something so blatant is highlighted?
    If Lexi wasn't so silly in what she done no tv loser at home would have any input.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Video of it.

Fair call by the looks of it. As for fans calling/emailing in, that's more than a little rediculous and needs to be stopped.

That video is so damning, its beyond belief anyone can think it was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

And if you look at about halfway between the hole and ball, it looks like there are a few spike or pitch marks on the route to the hole.

Maybe she did chance her arm, maybe she didn't but one thing is for sure, nobody will be trying it this week

The more I watch it the more worried I am. She barely lifts the ball so no reason why it should be placed so far from the original position.

Was there a spike mark in play I wonder?

Very very dubious placement the more I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Yes, so totes conclusive, she gained a 4 shot advantage, by not replacing the ball in the exact same spot, like every other player does every time they replace their ball on the green.

Edit to say: only a moron could think this situation was well handled by the LPGA.

so do you guys actually think she did it to cheat ?
    Personally i think that's very harsh, i know she's not the best putter but it was a tap in for pros like her,
    i understand her lining up the logo, it's routine for her, and pros are slaves to routine.
    Maybe i'm naive and you're right, but i just don't see it over a small putt.

That video slo-mo is pretty damning alright.

Despite all the cries for tv viewers not to be allowed call in infringements, which I tend to agree with, you'd almost wonder if continuing to allow it would add another layer of theoretical "security" and put a bit of doubt in the mind of any player about to chance their arm.........?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Pretty blatant cheating and likely she is doing this routinely. Harsh but necessary lesson learned.

i guess only she really knows, i'd love to hit the ball like her though,
    great player and will win many more majors over the years.
    Anyone find Michelle wie's set up,stance and general swing odd ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If penalties are not called then grey areas exist. Where grey areas exist people will always take advantage of them. If placing your ball 1cm away is ok, then 2cm away will be ok in a few weeks. Then somebody will eventually be penalised and start complaining about how Player X always does it. Then we're back to calls for enforcing the original rule.

We have a situation in tennis where you are only supposed to take 20 seconds between points. Rafa Nadal takes about 25-30s and always gets away with other more dislikeable players like Nick Kyrgios get them called when they overrun.

Rules are good. Rules help regulate the fun.

The main issue is with the viewer calling in and it being the reason the penalty was applied.

Really after the scorecard is signed there should be some short period for the officials to highlight any irregularities and a penalty must be applied within the period so all players know exactly what is going on.The penalty being applied late could have cost other players as well as they may have went out gung ho to catch her and cost themselves in the process whereas if they new her score was 4 strokes higher they would have potentially a different strategy on the final day.

Advertisement