Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouch! - ANA Inspiration: Lexi Thompson loses play-off following four-stroke penalty

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

AnneFrank wrote: »
    anyone notice phil micklesons new "black hair" when discussing this,

what's the issue with his hair? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

fullstop wrote:
    what's the issue with his hair?
    Cheating age!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Cheating age!!

Hardly the crime of the century is it? I'm sure 90% of the LPGA tour are at the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Marking to one side is almost an indication of premeditation. I say 'almost' because I haven't noticed anyone doing it as a general rule but am open to correction.

Totally agree. Any time I've seen this it has been done by a player who I have seen cheating. Players tend to mark to one side when they think nobody is looking. You can't really be pulled up for marking to the side. People will assume that you marked behind the ball and so when you replace the ball nobody will suspect what you have done unless they have been concentrating on you rather than their own game. It's much more obvious if they mark in front of the ball as that is very "different" and noticeable. A nonchalant mark to the side can be done with your hand disguising what you did. Marking behind the ball and then replacing an inch in front of the marker is very easy to spot.

So a mark to the side is generally a sign of cheating. There's no reason to mark to the side as the recommendation (in the rules) is to mark directly behind. As Lee Westwood said, she should learn to mark the ball correctly...........it's the easiest thing in the world to do correctly and there really is no reason not to.

fullstop wrote: »
    Played with a guy in Senior Cup qualifying 7 or 8 years ago and thought he had a weird way of replacing his ball. Didn't notice until the 18th what he was actually doing was replacing the ball 4 or 5 inches in front of his marker, with the marker under the butt of his hand and then drawing his hand back along the ground and swiping the marker away in the process, making it look like it had been just behind the ball. It's something he had clearly been doing for a long time as it was barely noticable, he just happened to try in on a 3 foot putt at the 18th with about 40 people around the green :rolleyes:

Gosh........I think I know this guy (or if not somebody else is doing it). PM me with the provence he was from.........don't mention his club.

The guy I'm thinking of started doing this as a juvenille when he was about 14. He did two things when marking.......

Firstly he would mark the ball quickly and slide the marker up to the ball moving it forwards as he lifted the ball and dropped the marker. It was hard to spot but since I played with him a lot I noticed it. Sometimes it went wrong and the marker (coin) would roll along its edge or he'd unintentionally throw the ball forwards. He had perfected it and it was quick and difficult to spot as it was done in one fast movement.

He did another sleight of hand when replacing the ball. He would hold the ball between his thumb and first finger and place his hand over the marker so you couldn't really see it. He would then look at the hole, back at the ball several times as if he was lining up the ball but this was to try to look casual. Whilst he did this he would slide his hand along the green and put the ball down and then quickly slide his hand back and pick up the marker. It happened very quickly but it resulted in about a 2 inch advantage. He always used a coin to mark as it was easier to do.

He obviously practiced this as he was "very good" at it. He could easily gain 3 to 4 inches just by marking and replacing the ball. Sometimes he would do it twice and pretend that the ball was dirty and needed to be cleaned.

He was a category one player and was a very solid golfer but he was a cheat.

I knew him well and played with him a lot. I started to pull him up on it and told him to remark his ball correctly. He would then get very aggressive and nasty. In the end I just stopped playing with him as he was a cheat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes I hear he gave up on golf - legend with a marker.

I hear this was his last move

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I don't disagree for a second with the ruling. She absolutely should have been penalised.

But if its not discovered by midnight that night or start of play next morning then no retroactive action should be able to be applied.

Gg well played. You cheated and you got away with it. But know now that we will watch every single move you make for the rest of your professional life and any false move you make, we will throw the book at you.

Oh and because you won we're gonna stick a little asterisk there too so everyone is reminded of what you did and got away with

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Rikand wrote: »
    I don't disagree for a second with the ruling. She absolutely should have been penalised.

But if its not discovered by midnight that night or start of play next morning then no retroactive action should be able to be applied.

Gg well played. You cheated and you got away with it. But know now that we will watch every single move you make for the rest of your professional life and any false move you make, we will throw the book at you.

Oh and because you won we're gonna stick a little asterisk there too so everyone is reminded of what you did and got away with

Thing is though, its a 72h tournament, the lowest 72h score wins, so surely that should allow penalties to apply before the end of the tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

stockdam wrote: »
    Gosh........I think I know this guy (or if not somebody else is doing it). PM me with the provence he was from.........don't mention his club.

The guy I'm thinking of started doing this as a juvenille when he was about 14. He did two things when marking.......

Firstly he would mark the ball quickly and slide the marker up to the ball moving it forwards as he lifted the ball and dropped the marker. It was hard to spot but since I played with him a lot I noticed it. Sometimes it went wrong and the marker (coin) would roll along its edge or he'd unintentionally throw the ball forwards. He had perfected it and it was quick and difficult to spot as it was done in one fast movement.

He did another sleight of hand when replacing the ball. He would hold the ball between his thumb and first finger and place his hand over the marker so you couldn't really see it. He would then look at the hole, back at the ball several times as if he was lining up the ball but this was to try to look casual. Whilst he did this he would slide his hand along the green and put the ball down and then quickly slide his hand back and pick up the marker. It happened very quickly but it resulted in about a 2 inch advantage. He always used a coin to mark as it was easier to do.

He obviously practiced this as he was "very good" at it. He could easily gain 3 to 4 inches just by marking and replacing the ball. Sometimes he would do it twice and pretend that the ball was dirty and needed to be cleaned.

He was a category one player and was a very solid golfer but he was a cheat.

I knew him well and played with him a lot. I started to pull him up on it and told him to remark his ball correctly. He would then get very aggressive and nasty. In the end I just stopped playing with him as he was a cheat.

That's pretty shocking to be honest, mad stuff Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Thing is though, its a 72h tournament, the lowest 72h score wins, so surely that should allow penalties to apply before the end of the tournament?

A soccer match is a 90 minute match. Should they be allowed to disallow a goal from the first half 10 minutes before full time because someone phoned in and noticed a hand ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Stockdam - what age was the guy doing that?

The mind is a bizarre thing - maybe Phil is talking about something like that with his 2 or 3 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

blue note wrote: »
    A soccer match is a 90 minute match. Should they be allowed to disallow a goal from the first half 10 minutes before full time because someone phoned in and noticed a hand ball?

At the risk of stating the obvious, golf isn't soccer (thankfully). There is a referee in soccer to police the game, referees in golf don't have the same purpose, its essentially a self-policing sport.
    I can see the point alright about viewers calling in, but if it wasn't allowed, its not much of a stretch to think we'd eventually end up with a "if the ref or playing partner doesn't see it, its not a foul" mentality in golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Rikand wrote: »

I have to ask...........??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

fullstop wrote: »
    Hardly the crime of the century is it? I'm sure 90% of the LPGA tour are at the same

it is where i'm from if you call yourself a man !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Can we assume that anyone who is condoning LT's "method" of marking her ball is being noted for special observation at the next boards society outing? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I seen it properly for the first time last night, blatant cheating. She will have learned her lesson and others viewing what happened to her will learn too. The right decision was made to deal with it harshly. I wouldn't have had a problem if she had been disqualified. Golf needs zero tolerance for cheating.

Stockdam - what age was the guy doing that?

The mind is a bizarre thing - maybe Phil is talking about something like that with his 2 or 3 inches.

He would be in his 50s now...........he was a very good player when he was young. Worst cheat that I have ever played with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

blue note wrote: »

While I think it's wrong for people to phone in, the analogy doesn't hold (nor does it hold when people call for video evidence to be used for soccer the way it is for rugby).....

......as a sport, soccer flows (except when I play :D) - there is almost non-stop action and motion. Golf (and rugby) don't - plus at any given time in a soccer match there are at a dozen infringements being committed (and at most rucks in rugby there's even more) and the skill of the ref is in judging what's material and what's not - for example, in soccer a player can be in an offside position but not be pinged for it, if you were to ref it with a 'golf' attitude the player should be penalised each and every time - likewise every jersey tug, every incidence of high arms, every bit of dissent etc would also have to be pinged, if you were to take a golf approach - then games would have 30 minutes added time and more often than not would be abandoned as you'd quickly hit the minimum number of players restriction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

For anyone who read "Four Iron in the Soul" I believe this is the guy Donegan was referring to who was banned for moving his ball 20ft (!!) closer to the hole......

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12120694.Banned_professional_rebuilds_career_on_amateur_links_Robertson_struggles_to_gain_acceptance/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

They take these things seriously in Scotland.

Back in 2011 another golfer was banned for pretty much the same thing that Lexi did. Marked the ball at eight o'clock on it's circumference and replaced it at six o'clock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

They take these things seriously in Scotland.

Back in 2011 another golfer was banned for pretty much the same thing that Lexi did. Marked the ball at eight o'clock on it's circumference and replaced it at six o'clock.

This is the 4th time this guy was mentioned here!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

charlieIRL wrote:
    This is the 4th time this guy was mentioned here!!!

Once a chicken plucker always a chicken plucker!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

charlieIRL wrote: »
    This is the 4th time this guy was mentioned here!!!:D
    Old age catching up with me. :o

I know many doubted her guilt... i mentioned she had previous.

Below is an example of previous.

https://twitter.com/garyevansgolf/status/857583315838279680

Any chance you could explain that rather than be all coy and elude to something that nobody has a clue what you're referring to? I know that sounds bitchy but you've a real habit of posting like you're in the know and us plebs should ask you ten questions to find out what you're on about.

In my opinion she replaced that ball intentionally in a different spot. It's way too far off from such a short pick up to be anything else. I instantly thought spike marks when I seen it but I've no idea of the reason.

How it was handled was a disgrace, plain and simple. She was on the 12th hole of the final round. At that stage it should have been deemed that no advantage had been achieved so no penalty, play away. If they'd gotten her before she tee'd off then the 4 shot penalty would have been fine. But not after the 4th round had commenced.

There you go

https://twitter.com/garyevansgolf/status/857583315838279680

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Advertisement