Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish price of new Ipad

Options
  • 03-04-2017 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

The newly announced IPad is priced at $329 or €310 in US. In Ireland it has been announced at €419 or $444. That's a premium of more than 33%. If Apple wish to understand the decline in the sales of IPad it should look at its international pricing policy. I won't be replacing my 4 year old IPad anytime soon

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The US price doesn't include tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Derwest wrote: »
    The newly announced IPad is priced at $329 or €310 in US. In Ireland it has been announced at €419 or $444. That's a premium of more than 33%. If Apple wish to understand the decline in the sales of IPad it should look at its international pricing policy. I won't be replacing my 4 year old IPad anytime soon

23% of the Irish price is VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

VAT=23% makes it 381 euro.

Duty on electronics is 14% although it doesn't always apply
    (310*1.14)*1.23=434.68 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are these released in Ireland yet ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are these released in Ireland yet ?

Yes, from Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I bought an Ipad Mini 4 in the US last October. It was €449 in Ireland through the Apple store. I think it was advertised at around $399 in the US but by the time I paid local sales tax it was $423. The exchange rate wasn't great so I think I saved around €50.
    I then had a US two pin plug instead of the Irish 3 pin so knock €20 off.
    It often sounds better than it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup it's been this way since I've bought Apple products (15~ years). When you do the math, add the VAT and import duties (if you choose to pay them or not), and weigh up the compromises (e.g. US plug, US keyboard) they are often comparable.

The way some people sell these savings though is very unrealistic; "Sure the price difference practically paid for my airfare" :facepalm"

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

The US price doesn't include tax.

I received a promotional e-mail from Apple* a few days ago, advertising the latest iPad with a price of £339. That's the Sterling price for the UK where there is VAT though at a slightly lower percentage than in Ireland.
    Converting this Sterling price to Euros at today's foreign exchange rate (about 85p per Euro - some days it better than that) would bring the Irish price to about €397 plus the small VAT difference.Yet the price from Apple's Irish site is given as €419.
    Another example of RIP-OFF PRICING in Ireland??

This is the link to the UK price of £339
    http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-9-7/32gb-gold-wifi

*email sent from: News_Europe@insideapple.apple.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ernest wrote: »
    I received a promotional e-mail from Apple* a few days ago, advertising the latest iPad with a price of £339. That's the Sterling price for the UK where there is VAT though at a slightly lower percentage than in Ireland.
    Converting this Sterling price to Euros at today's foreign exchange rate (about 85p per Euro - some days it better than that) would bring the Irish price to about €397 plus the small VAT difference.Yet the price from Apple's Irish site is given as €419.
    Another example of RIP-OFF PRICING in Ireland??

This is the link to the UK price of £339
    http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-9-7/32gb-gold-wifi

*email sent from: News_Europe@insideapple.apple.com

The price does not change based on daily rates so your comparison is unfair.

Also, UK Vat is 20% compared to 23% in ireland. So 3% difference accounts for about €12 of your €22 difference.

Other days the exchange rate could reduce it further.

Hardly a major rip off.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The price does not change based on daily rates so your comparison is unfair.

Also, UK Vat is 20% compared to 23% in ireland. So 3% difference accounts for about €12 of your €22 difference.

Other days the exchange rate could reduce it further.

Hardly a major rip off.

I agree - it's not a major rip-off - just a minor one - but why should there be any price discrimination by Apple against its Irish customers?

The British pre-VAT price is £282.5. This morning's Sterling-Euro rate is 0.8571, making the Euro equivalent €329.59 before VAT. Adding on Irish VAT at 23% would produce a retail price of €405.41 so the Irish price is €13.59 higher than its UK equivalent. Given that there is no price competition in the Irish market for Apple products (everyone charges exactly the same!) it is not unreasonable to expect Apple to charge Irish customers the same equivalent price as its British customers, which does not appear to be the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Irish law for 6 year consumer rights is worth the less than 20 quid.

I agree - it's not a major rip-off - just a minor one - but why should there be any price discrimination by Apple against its Irish customers?

The British pre-VAT price is £282.5. This morning's Sterling-Euro rate is 0.8571, making the Euro equivalent €329.59 before VAT. Adding on Irish VAT at 23% would produce a retail price of €405.41 so the Irish price is €13.59 higher than its UK equivalent. Given that there is no price competition in the Irish market for Apple products (everyone charges exactly the same!) it is not unreasonable to expect Apple to charge Irish customers the same equivalent price as its British customers, which does not appear to be the case here.

Companies will always round up their pricing on conversion. They won't do a straight conversion.
    Also, the cost of shipping to Ireland per unit would be dearer due to the vastly different quantities shipped to the UK.

On an item that costs over €400 and fx rates could go the other way I don't think €20 is a massive difference to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

News flash: Currencies fluctuate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Derwest

The real question is that while price difference maybe marginal as posts might suggest is it any better overall or have we encountered the chocolate bar syndrome where the price stays the same (roughly) but the quantity and perhaps the quality is less?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The real question is ........

Classic case of 'I'm losing this argument so let's change the subject.'

The iPad you buy in the UK is identical in all respects to what they sell in Ireland - same tablet, same plug, same cable.

I didn't know I was in an argument. I understood this is a discussion site. Nevertheless my question remains valid. Is the current offering as good as or better than its predecessor?

I didn't know I was in an argument. I understood this is a discussion site. Nevertheless my question remains valid. Is the current offering as good as or better than its predecessor?

It's probably the best value tablet Apple has ever released. It's cheaper than the current Mini which is supposed to be the entry-level iPad. There's a slight rollback in design from Air 2, but if boards like these are anything to go by, that's exactly what people want: thicker, cheaper devices with better specs.

It's not really a "new" iPad - they are coming between now and WWDC - but it's a great device for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

It's probably the best value tablet Apple has ever released. It's cheaper than the current Mini which is supposed to be the entry-level iPad. There's a slight rollback in design from Air 2, but if boards like these are anything to go by, that's exactly what people want: thicker, cheaper devices with better specs.

It's not really a "new" iPad - they are coming between now and WWDC - but it's a great device for the price.

Totally agree. This iPad fills a big gap in the market for casual tablet users who don't need the like of Pencil support, True Tone etc. It's a great tablet and one that is reasonably priced (for an Apple device) and should have a long shelf life.

MillField wrote: »
    Totally agree. This iPad fills a big gap in the market for casual tablet users who don't need the like of Pencil support, True Tone etc. It's a great tablet and one that is reasonably priced (for an Apple device) and should have a long shelf life.

Ok but has anyone actually seen one in any shop (sorry: "Apple re-seller") yet? Last time I looked (a few days ago) there was no sign of the new iPad in Power City or Compu B or Harvey Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ok but has anyone actually seen one in any shop (sorry: "Apple re-seller") yet? Last time I looked (a few days ago) there was no sign of the new iPad in Power City or Compu B or Harvey Norman

Just buy direct from Apple and you don't even have to leave your house?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Just buy direct from Apple and you don't even have to leave your house?

Yes I know. However if ever I have a problem I want to be able to go bring it back directly to the supplier (a shop) not phone a robotised call centre and then perhaps have to post it back at my own expense and considerable trouble.

Yes I know. However if ever I have a problem I want to be able to go bring it back directly to the supplier (a shop) not phone a robotised call centre and then perhaps have to post it back at my own expense and considerable trouble.

They will only send it back to the supplier anyway as they can't do any repairs.

If you buy off Apple, and there is a problem with the product, they will look after you.

They answer the phone, and arrange pick up of product at their own expense.

They have covered all angles.
    I would buy direct off them no problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The complete opposite of what usually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I always buy from Apple. They honour the 6 year warranty. No shop does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Hey man,

so did you end up replacing that iPad in the end?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

JonMac wrote: »
    I always buy from Apple. They honour the 6 year warranty. No shop does.

Can you explain that jon they honour the 6 year warranty ,

i was thinking of buying it off Harvey Norman they do a 2 year Apple Warranty

Is it better to buy of Apple also im considering getting the 9.7 inch i pad nit really sure whether to just go for the 32gb or invest more for the 128gb ?

has anybody bought this model yet ?

torrevieja wrote: »
    Can you explain that jon they honour the 6 year warranty ,

i was thinking of buying it off Harvey Norman they do a 2 year Apple Warranty

Is it better to buy of Apple also im considering getting the 9.7 inch i pad nit really sure whether to just go for the 32gb or invest more for the 128gb ?

has anybody bought this model yet ?

If you buy off a shop or direct from Apple, you will still have your 6 year warranty for faulty goods as described in the Sales of Goods act.

You can take it up with Apple at anytime so it doesn't matter where in Ireland you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you buy off a shop or direct from Apple, you will still have your 6 year warranty for faulty goods as described in the Sales of Goods act.

You can take it up with Apple at anytime so it doesn't matter where in Ireland you bought it.

Be careful - it isn't a warranty.

It is 6 years consumer law and the Apple warranty is 1 year.

Here is the link to explain... https://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

You MUSTbuy off Apple directly for the consumer law to Apple. If you buy from Harvey Norman, the 6 years applies there. But Apple as the manufacture would naturally be more willing to be easy to honor this.

The important part of this is the following,,,,

" Under Irish consumer law, any defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract which becomes apparent within 6 months of delivery are presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. After the expiry of this 6 month period, the burden to prove that the defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract existed on delivery generally shifts to the consumer."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

so folks were would u buy ur Apple Product from ?

Advertisement