Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a Camper Conversion under Classic Car isurance

Options
  • 03-04-2017 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey

Does anyone have experience of this?

Since the height restrictions is waved for campervan conversions I'm looking to convert a Nissan Estima to a camper. These lend themselves well to conversions with the fold down seats, moon roof, sink in the back etc. Spaceship Campervan Rentals use this type of minivan for campers allot.

This would be my second car, I just want it to take around Ireland for a couple of weeks over the summer. If I buy a pre '97 car, can I used classic car insurance? If its registered as a camper, does it require specific campervan insurance?

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

oxygen wrote: »
    Hey

Does anyone have experience of this?

Since the height restrictions is waved for campervan conversions I'm looking to convert a Nissan Estima to a camper. These lend themselves well to conversions with the fold down seats, moon roof, sink in the back etc. Spaceship Campervan Rentals use this type of minivan for campers allot.

This would be my second car, I just want it to take around Ireland for a couple of weeks over the summer. If I buy a pre '97 car, can I used classic car insurance? If its registered as a camper, does it require specific campervan insurance?

thanks in advance...

I assume you're talking about a toyota estima / previa, you should be aware that they are prone to overheating due to a ludicrous coolant circuit and resulting headgasket issues not to mention issues like the forward driveshaft falling out of them and they are a nightmare to work on as the engine is midmounted. Resulting conversion would be worth very little. If you're going for small low roof conversion I would do a caravelle the 90s ones sell for very little, never an issue getting parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I assume you're talking about a toyota estima / previa, you should be aware that they are prone to overheating due to a ludicrous coolant circuit and resulting headgasket issues not to mention issues like the forward driveshaft falling out of them and they are a nightmare to work on as the engine is midmounted. Resulting conversion would be worth very little. If you're going for small low roof conversion I would do a caravelle the 90s ones sell for very little, never an issue getting parts.

Thanks CrabbyPaddy! I'll have a look into that. What was attracting me to the Estima was the simplicity of it, but those problems sound like a nightmare.

Same Question RE the Toyota then, can I transfer my car insurance to the van for a week or two, or am I required to have specific CamperVan insurance?

Thanks CrabbyPaddy! I'll have a look into that. What was attracting me to the Estima was the simplicity of it, but those problems sound like a nightmare.

Same Question RE the Toyota then, can I transfer my car insurance to the van for a week or two, or am I required to have specific CamperVan insurance?

If its registered car or MPV and has had a test in the last couple of years insurers are often fairly flexible, if its not had a test lately or if its registered van, crewcab, minibus etc then usually no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Since the height restrictions is waved for campervan conversions.....

Has it been waved recently? My understanding was that the height restriction was moreso required by insurers, but I don't really follow it closely.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Has it been waved recently? My understanding was that the height restriction was moreso required by insurers, but I don't really follow it closely.

Ireland brought the camper definitiion in line with the european one in Januray 2011 which mentions nothing about height. Rosslare continue to try to apply arbitrary requirements and make it as difficult as possible though as do the insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ireland brought the camper definitiion in line with the european one in Januray 2011 which mentions nothing about height. Rosslare continue to try to apply arbitrary requirements and make it as difficult as possible though as do the insurance companies.

Thanks - that's good info. Assuming in that case that you wouldn't be able to insure an estima type conversion with anyone in Ireland under campervan insurance?

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Thanks - that's good info. Assuming in that case that you wouldn't be able to insure an estima type conversion with anyone in Ireland under campervan insurance?

You'd probably have to take it to the declined cases committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 olliedel

Hi, just reading through the comments.
    I have an estima which I have converted to a camper but I can't get it registered as a camper because you can't stand up in it.
    I tried telling the guy in Kilkenny that this is no longer the case.
    He says if I can get a document to say the height is no longer a requirement that he'll sign off on it. But he cannot find me a document where it says hight is a requirement either so we're at stalemate.
    Anyone any ideas of what to do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Is it an SQI that is telling you this? If it is, I would just go to a different SQI.

How small is it out of curiosity? Your biggest hurdle will be insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

olliedel wrote: »
    Hi, just reading through the comments.
    I have an estima which I have converted to a camper but I can't get it registered as a camper because you can't stand up in it.
    I tried telling the guy in Kilkenny that this is no longer the case.
    He says if I can get a document to say the height is no longer a requirement that he'll sign off on it. But he cannot find me a document where it says hight is a requirement either so we're at stalemate.
    Anyone any ideas of what to do next?

Hey Olliedel, can I check, any update? I'd be interested to see if you can registered as a camper. I've seen these for sale,

http://www.spaceshipsrentals.co.uk/current-deals/campervan-for-sale/

Its £3k, which is steep enough, but its an already fully kitted out camper. But could you register it as a camper is the other question...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hey Olliedel, can I check, any update? I'd be interested to see if you can registered as a camper. I've seen these for sale,

http://www.spaceshipsrentals.co.uk/current-deals/campervan-for-sale/

Its £3k, which is steep enough, but its an already fully kitted out camper. But could you register it as a camper is the other question...

If you have to cook from outside the vehicle it won't meet the requirements for a campervan.

Advertisement