Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More speed ramps for Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The traditional signs, electronic speed sign, residential area and narrow footpaths aren't enough to slow a hell of a lot of people down on the Ratoath Road then the stick of speed ramps is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

The distributor road. FFS:mad: It was only a matter of time looking at the amount of gob****e drivers that use it as a runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dodzy wrote: »
    The distributor road. FFS:mad: It was only a matter of time looking at the amount of gob****e drivers that use it as a runway.
    I like that they put traffic islands between the cycle lane and road - I suggested this for Diswellstown Road where drivers will race you to to the centre island to cut you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That'd be the whole of Hartstown Road up the shopping centre roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

They should add them to the Ongar Distribution road, Clonsilla Road, and to the entire length of the R121 and R483, and speed cameras aswell. By far one of the worst points about Blanchardstown is the driving by some of the individuals who use the road on a daily basis.

Bus lane?? Apparently they don't apply to you if you're a scrote driving a blacked out Bora or Audi, or a parent dropping your kids off at the Coolmine community school. And there's plenty of both.

The more speed ramps the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No. Not at all. Scrote drivers will be scrote drivers ramps or no ramps. Ask an ambulance controller or a carer for a person with a chronic orthopaedic condition what they think of them?

Ramps are every bit as much a menace as reckless drivers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They should add them to the Ongar Distribution road

What??? They should be increasing the limit on that road to 80km/h, 60 is just a joke on it.

Zaph wrote: »
    What??? They should be increasing the limit on that road to 80km/h, 60 is just a joke on it.

If you raise it to 80, then doing 100 becomes the norm for the drivers that I've mentioned in the previous post. Considering the amount of people who walk/run in the evening time, plus the cycle lane and also the fact that many housing estates back out onto it, bringing it up to 80 should never be considered.

Also there's too many stops too close together to bring it to that speed.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ramps are every bit as much a menace as reckless drivers.

So if I look back on the stats, will the same amount of deaths be contributed to speed ramps as to reckless driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So if I look back on the stats, will the same amount of deaths be contributed to speed ramps as to reckless driving?

Of course not. Thats not my point. Ramps cause physical pain to some and car damage to many cos they are rarely built to design spec and never ever maintained.

Its like the controversial 30 kph limit in Dublin City. The media chatter has been around attributing it to "Jake's Legacy" after the campaign run by the family of the boy killed on the road outside his home in Kilkenny. Now I cant imagine what a horrific and painful loss that was for his family and community, but the reality is, there are upwards of 1.5 billion vehicle journeys in Ireland every year and how many kids are lost each year in those circumstances? Perhaps 2 or 3? You can never legislate for freak accidents, and punishing the majority with catch-penny speed limits or abrasive ramps is not the answer. Hard cases make bad law.

• Advertisement

Please no! IMO they only affect the people that car about road safety and those that really care about their car. Many others will continue as if they weren't there.

Now, speed cameras *would* make a difference. A few penalty points and 80 euro fines will change behaviour. Get a few more fines/points and your insurance premium will be impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The bull**** that is speed ramps just reeks of PC brigade and politicians getting a photo op to appease said brigade.

This doesn't change behaviours of the ones who need to be changed and are right pain in all the rest of our holes in the interim.

they zebra crossing'd a few ramps around Clonee and had to dezebra them because people couldn't understand when to stop when to start, caused crashes. Hilarious.

Driver education would be a FAR better use of public funds.

It's like when it snows nobody drives to the conditions. Just too slow or too fast.

Anyway no more ****ing speed ramps!!!

/rant

No amount of driver training will stop some people speeding on what they see is a long straight stretch of road, no matter how many potential dangers are around it. It's a last resort, and the only people to be blamed are those drivers.

I've no idea why you think it's anything to do with political correctness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No amount of driver training will stop some people speeding on what they see is a long straight stretch of road, no matter how many potential dangers are around it. It's a last resort, and the only people to be blamed are those drivers.

I've no idea why you think it's anything to do with political correctness.

No amount of speed bumps will solve it.

As for being PC, of course it is. Politicians love this ****. Oh won't someone please think of the children.

Nobody wants to call it like it is. Well here it is, parents mind your ****ing children!! Don't let them play on roads and street corners and guess what, they won't be run down no matter how stupidly fast some asshole is going.

... Oh no he didn't. Snap snap. Mmm hmm.

You do understand that such traffic calming measures are usually the result of local residents lobbying for the same, and are not driven by politicians don't you?

But your post is just plain dumb anyway, none of the roads that this thread is concerned about have kids playing around them. You're the only person mentioning kids, and a pathetic attempt at victim blaming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

All people can do is lodge an appeal and contact their local money taking TDs. This is what your property tax gets you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Haven't there been a load of fatal crashes on that Hartstown Road?

As you said, ramps are installed at the request of residents, it is not a "last resort" - nothing else is ever tried.
    In Sycamore Avenue they put in a speed camera and a 30 km/h limit. Then they put in ramps. If they closed off the road in the middle it would have completely eliminated the rat run.

I would love to see enforcement. It would pay for itself.
    When I lived in California people actually stopped at Stop signs because they knew that there was a chance that a cop was watching, even if the chance was very low. Here the chance is zero so "when the cat's away..."

daymobrew wrote: »
    As you said, ramps are installed at the request of residents, it is not a "last resort" - nothing else is ever tried.

Digital speedos at entrance to zones, no shortage of static signs, occasional Garda speed traps (no doubt labelled as shooting fish in a barrel by some here).

So yeah, ramps are next up after years and years of such measures that some idiots still ignore.

Digital speedos at entrance to zones, no shortage of static signs, occasional Garda speed traps (no doubt labelled as shooting fish in a barrel by some here).

So yeah, ramps are next up after years and years of such measures that some idiots still ignore.
    Ok. I just had never seen digital speedos, static signs or Gardai on Castleknock Rise.

Even idiots cannot ignore money being removed from their pockets. Money changes behaviour.

• Advertisement

The Ratoath road has all those. I drive it daily and often cycle it.

You'll be tailgated pretty much every day within the 50 zone and only this weekend I had someone overtake over the solid white line coming to the golf club and petrol station entrances without a clear view, craning their dopey neck to look at me as if I've the problem. They had a baby in the back. What a moron.

It's a straight sterech of road and assholes don't want to slow down for what's probably around a 1k stretch, it's less than a minute, probably 30 seconds, before you're back in a 80 zone in either direction.

In most cases the speed ramps installed are a total waste of time and money. They are either just 3 bumps that people just drive through the middle of without reducing speed, or the types that are at such a low angle you simply glide over them , again without any need to reduce speed. An example of these is on the road that runs from clonsilla train station, past St Josephs Centre and on up to the Allendale roundabout. I think there are 3 speed bumps on them, no one ever reduces speed on them, just straight over them. A total waste.

A good example of proper speed ramps is the road between Wheatfield prison and Park west. They are at such a height that you have no choice but to reduce speed. A very effective traffic calming measure that I would gladly see implemented throughout the greater blanchardstown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

In most cases the speed ramps installed are a total waste of time and money. They are either just 3 bumps that people just drive through the middle of without reducing speed, or the types that are at such a low angle you simply glide over them , again without any need to reduce speed. An example of these is on the road that runs from clonsilla train station, past St Josephs Centre and on up to the Allendale roundabout. I think there are 3 speed bumps on them, no one ever reduces speed on them, just straight over them. A total waste.

A good example of proper speed ramps is the road between Wheatfield prison and Park west. They are at such a height that you have no choice but to reduce speed. A very effective traffic calming measure that I would gladly see implemented throughout the greater blanchardstown area.

I slow down over those ramps in clonsilla, my cars suspension is stiff at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The driving around D.15 is terrible. Theres no enforcement. There used to be some about 10yrs ago but its none existent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

The Ratoath road has all those. I drive it daily and often cycle it.

You'll be tailgated pretty much every day within the 50 zone and only this weekend I had someone overtake over the solid white line coming to the golf club and petrol station entrances without a clear view, craning their dopey neck to look at me as if I've the problem. They had a baby in the back. What a moron.

It's a straight sterech of road and assholes don't want to slow down for what's probably around a 1k stretch, it's less than a minute, probably 30 seconds, before you're back in a 80 zone in either direction.

The problem with that stretch road is the speed limit is too low. It should be set to 60 kmph. At 60 there would be less unnecessary overtaking and speeding. When limits are set too low and there's virtually zero chances of being caught there is a mentality that you might as well be in for a pound as in for a penny. It's definitely the case on that road.

It's not too low, plenty of entrances on it, residential area, footpath right alongside it in sections and only a short section. With some of the entrances onto the Ratoath road on that stretch you don't get too far a view to see what's coming either.

People will speed regardless of the limit, they're not thinking if only the limit here was an additional 10kph then I wouldn't feel the new to overtake at 80+ across a solid white line to get to the real 80 zone a couple of metres up there maybe 10 seconds quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

It's not too low, plenty of entrances on it, residential area, footpath right alongside it in sections and only a short section. With some of the entrances onto the Ratoath road on that stretch you don't get too far a view to see what's coming either.

People will speed regardless of the limit, they're not thinking if only the limit here was an additional 10kph then I wouldn't feel the new to overtake at 80+ across a solid white line to get to the real 80 zone a couple of metres up there maybe 10 seconds quicker.

In reality the majority of traffic on that road is exceeding the speed limit. Its proven that unreasonably low limits increase the rate of disobedience and also increase the risk to those attempting to comply with the limit. It’s also proven that lowering speed limits does not automatically lower vehicle speed. If the limit is set to a realistic rate disobedience drops. Ideally from a road safety perspective all traffic will be traveling at the same speed, its just never going to happen on that road at 50kmph.

Why is it unreasonable limit. because the road is unsuited, because of entrances or because no one will stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Just reeks of incompetence and laziness by the government.

People are either speeding or driving dangerously, So punish those who do so.

Irish government, "er, can't be bothered so lets just punish everybody instead."

• Advertisement

I dunno why we don't have fixed speeding cameras. Seems like it would fix this problem.

Advertisement