Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More speed ramps for Dublin 15

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Skatedude wrote: »
    Just reeks of incompetence and laziness by the government.

People are either speeding or driving dangerously, So punish those who do so.

Irish government, "er, can't be bothered so lets just punish everybody instead."

Eh? Who is it punishing?

I'd also point out that the Irish government has nothing to do with speed ramps in Hartstown, but I don't think it would make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

beauf wrote: »
    Why is it unreasonable limit. because the road is unsuited, because of entrances or because no one will stick to it.

The road is absolutely suited to a higher limit than 50kmph. There was a higher limit on it not so long ago. If I remember correctly the national speed limit was in place from Dollys to Kilbride and 80% of the entrances that seem to be an issue were present then. Its a straight road after the filling station with excellent visibility in all directions including the entrances.

Does this speed look safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

VeVeX wrote: »
    The road is absolutely suited to a higher limit than 50kmph. There was a higher limit on it not so long ago. If I remember correctly the national speed limit was in place from Dollys to Kilbride and 80% of the entrances that seem to be an issue were present then. Its a straight road after the filling station with excellent visibility in all directions including the entrances.

This is typical of the attitude the seems to be prevalent around the greater blanch area. Just make it faster, sure why not.

Its a straight road that both cars a buses share, no separate bus lane, A cycle lane, numerous bus stops. Oh and the little matter of a school on one side.

This is typical of the attitude the seems to be prevalent around the greater blanch area. Just make it faster, sure why not.

Its a straight road that both cars a buses share, no separate bus lane, A cycle lane, numerous bus stops. Oh and the little matter of a school on one side.

We're not taking about the same road FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Skatedude wrote: »
    Just reeks of incompetence and laziness by the government.

People are either speeding or driving dangerously, So punish those who do so.

Irish government, "er, can't be bothered so lets just punish everybody instead."

I don't think you know how government works.

• Advertisement

1 minute is what you're having a stroke about.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    1 minute is what you're having a stroke about.

Well done, that's quite the opposite of an intelligent retort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For me no. Even a 100% alert driver would not be able to react to something unexpected coming off the path or out of those entrances as there isn't enough between them and the main road. Then consider the limit should be set for the lowest common denominator driver skill level. Also that people tend to go 5~10% over the limit.

Well done, that's quite the opposite of an intelligent retort.

It's not actually. You're whinging about the limit there, a fact that I previously pointed out is for only a very short section of road with many entrances and pedestrians put right beside the road.

You then provided the video evidence to prove my point, it took you a minute to drive through it so any difference in speed limits is only going to save you a few seconds.

You have the typical, unfortunately, attitude of many who drive that feel you should have priority over every one else just because you're in a car.

Its like when you get off a 120 motorway onto a 80 road, you feel like you are crawling. Its because you've been de-sensitized to the speed.

If you build a very wide road you have the same effect, it makes it feel like you travelling slower. Which is why road design in residential areas, especially with straight main roads in estates encourage speeding.
    Chicago’s Department of Transportation had success with another simple illusion on a notorious hot-spot for crashes, a bend at Oak Street on Lake Shore Drive. City officials tried nearly everything: making lane markings clearer, putting up bigger warning signs, flashing lights at the side of the road. All in vain; drivers just kept crashing.
    In the end the department painted white lines across the road – each line closer to the next as cars got nearer the curve. This perception of shrinking distances makes drivers think that they’re going faster than they really are. According to a study there were 36% fewer crashes in the six months after the lines were painted in September 2006 compared to the same six-month period the year before. Hansen believes this is one of the best psychological tricks to reduce speeding.

In general though we are used to bigger roads, bigger safer cars and almost lack of enforcement, meaning we have all got used to travelling faster as the norm.

• Advertisement

It's not actually. You're whinging about the limit there, a fact that I previously pointed out is for only a very short section of road with many entrances and pedestrians put right beside the road.

You then provided the video evidence to prove my point, it took you a minute to drive through it so any difference in speed limits is only going to save you a few seconds.

You have the typical, unfortunately, attitude of many who drive that feel you should have priority over every one else just because you're in a car.

I actually don't have any problem with the speed limit personally. My point from the outset was the low speed limit is what is causing the bad driving on the road. Some comply the majority don't. It makes the road dangerous for everybody. If you took the time to read my posts rather than making imbecilic comments regarding strokes and whinging you'd probably have realised that. You probably can't let that kind of thing in the way of you post count however.

You got me, it's my post count that comes first and foremost. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to further increase it by 1.

I...Some comply the majority don't. It makes the road dangerous for everybody. ...

That suggests the limit is appropriate.

beauf wrote: »
    That suggests the limit is appropriate.

The almost complete disregard of the limit makes it appropriate :confused:

It just means some motorists are completely ignorant and need the means of a stick to sort them out.

Many teenagers ignore the fact they shouldn't consume alcohol until they're 18. Do you think the limit should be reduced to 11 or 12 too since the current one is ignored by many?

That people disregard it doesn't mean its not appropriate. It means it should be enforced.

I wonder are you are thinking that raising the speed limit will make it less dangerous for drivers on the road, and they won't be done for speeding.

But forgetting that its increasing the speed and thus the danger for people join that road and non car road users. Which is the point (and the appropriateness) of the speed limit in the first place.

It just means some motorists are completely ignorant and need the means of a stick to sort them out.

Many teenagers ignore the fact they shouldn't consume alcohol until they're 18. Do you think the limit should be reduced to 11 or 12 too since the current one is ignored by many?

Have a read of this, its based around facts rather than childish analogies - https://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

I could be mistaken, but that report has no reference to non car users and uses stats from highways and non highways interchangeably.
    Probably because its such a car dominated focus. its effectively about car vs car accidents on the same road.

rather than childish analogies

You don't do irony do you.

Simple fact if that it's a reasonable limit for the relatively small stretch, the number of entrances on to it, the closeness of the footpath, the inability to see clearly up the road at some points, and it's an absolutely​ dumb to blame anyone but those behind the wheel for speeding.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, play nicely and enough of the personal digs please

• Advertisement

be interesting to know any stats on the speeding ticket frequency in D.15. Used to see regular checks. Haven't seen one in the area for a few years now.

Advertisement